USBCtrl fails

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Moxee

USBCtrl fails

Post by Moxee »

Just for reference I have an AmigaOne XE, an early bird model.

Because of missing libz.so files I used a new partition and installed OS4.1 Update 1 (boot), Update 2 (boot), then Update 3.

Now when booting up I am presented with this DOS message after kickstart loads:

Error: USBCtrl only works with USB Stack v53.11

This message lasts about 25-30 seconds, then the boot completes. Trying to start USBCtrl in Shell, of course, brings up the same error message.

I don't know how to proceed from here.

Re: USBCtrl fails

Post by mechanic »

USBCtrl works on my Sam440ep.

Which file do I look at for version number?

Did one of the updates change/modify a version number?

Very confused. :?
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Rigo »

Moxee wrote: Error: USBCtrl only works with USB Stack v53.11
Have you performed a hard reset since installing the updates? This is required as new modules are installed, but until you hard reset, the older modules are still loaded. It sounds like you are still running the old USB in memory where the system is launching the new USBCtrl from disk.

Simon
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Rigo wrote:
Have you performed a hard reset since installing the updates? This is required as new modules are installed, but until you hard reset, the older modules are still loaded. It sounds like you are still running the old USB in memory where the system is launching the new USBCtrl from disk.
Moxee did write "Now when booting up I am presented with this DOS message after kickstart loads:". So maybe the other thing that could go wrong here would be more likely: Booting a kickstart from an older installation while starting the new Workbench installation.

Moxee, what did you do to ensure your Kickstart is loaded from the newly installed Update 3 kicklayout?

Best regards,

Niels
Moxee

Post by Moxee »

Rigo wrote:
Have you performed a hard reset since installing the updates? This is required as new modules are installed, but until you hard reset, the older modules are still loaded.
Is the hard reset required after each update install? Or only after the final Update 3? I can't remember now how I reset after each update. It could have been the case reset button or the keyboard reset. Most likely I used the 3-finger keyboard reset.

If a hard reset is required after installing each update then I will have to start all over again. If the hard reset is only required after installing Update 3 then the answer is yes since I turn off my XE each evening.
It sounds like you are still running the old USB in memory where the system is launching the new USBCtrl from disk.
That is what I thought also especially after reading another thread on this subject. Sorry, I should have posted in that other thread, but being new to this forum I did not notice there were additional page links in this forum until later.

Then there is this:
While booting I read on the screen that it is using an old partition and it says AmigaOS4.1 Update 1. I remember having to edit some file to point to this older partition, but as time marched on I've forgotten which file this is. This may have no effect on the current Update 3 install, but I am throwing this into the mix for comment. What is that file and do I need to edit it again?
Moxee

Post by Moxee »

nbache wrote: Moxee did write "Now when booting up I am presented with this DOS message after kickstart loads:". So maybe the other thing that could go wrong here would be more likely: Booting a kickstart from an older installation while starting the new Workbench installation.

Moxee, what did you do to ensure your Kickstart is loaded from the newly installed Update 3 kicklayout?
I did not know that we had to do anything to insure that.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

As the Kickstart modules load only a B&W progress bar and some text above it are displayed.
The 3 finger reset does not go back far enough to do that and thus you are using older modules
to load the next newer update.

The next newer update may be looking for just previous version numbers to do a proper install.

Or, to keep it simple........Shut it off. :D

Or, give it the ole one finger salute. :arrow:
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Rigo »

Moxee wrote: I did not know that we had to do anything to insure that.
If you have turned off and on again (or performed a hard reset), then it's possible that the kickstart files are being loaded from a dirrent boot partition that hasn't been updated.

Load up MediaToolbox, and select your boot partition that you updated to Update 3. Check the boot priority against other bootable partitions, it should have the highest priority.

Simon
Moxee

Post by Moxee »

Rigo wrote: Check the boot priority against other bootable partitions, it should have the highest priority.
Thanks for the idea, but yes it is the highest. It's at 0, while the others are -1, -3, and -7.

While looking around I notice in Sys:Prefs/UBoot, then on the Boot tab, and under Amiga Multiboot Options you will find the "Boota" configuration name.

Mine says Default. Yet the only choice offered is AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3. So, if I select AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3 the Default is never offered again. I wonder if this Default is the problem.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Moxee do you have a dual boot system?

On systems where a boot volume has to be used to boot Linux from Parthenope the boot volume has to be updated with the new Kickstart. As if it isn't the old Kickstart loads! Friend had this problem.

Why didn't they just include FFS7 support in Parthenope?! I've seen the include files, I'm certain! :-?