6 Problems I hope to please fix with your help :)

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
simulant

6 Problems I hope to please fix with your help :)

Post by simulant »

Hi I am a proud new owner of a fantastic Amiga X5000 !

Sorry if I'm posting about existing issues but I'd hoped I may be able to work through some problems I'm having and possibly fix them with your help if that is ok?

1. USB bugs - I have some cheap generic USB keyboards, mice and gamepads which I'm currently using. All of which seem buggy but they do all work. Half the time I switch my machine on the keyboard won't work and I have to keep resetting until it does work. And the gamepad is problematic too, it does work if I just load up some classic game, but again I have to sometimes reboot several times to get it working. Also if I go to Preferences AmigaInput and try open that up I get a "Guru Meditation: 80000003 Task 0x56e08b20 ("AmigaInput_usb_task") DSI error on address 0x7fb30304" or similar.

Please if there is any way to get my usb keyboard and gamepad stable it would be really appreciated - I can post crash logs or error reports or anything you need to help get a fix.

2. I'd hoped to use the built in serial port for my rs232 wifi modem. I know the X5000 already has built in ethernet internet, but it would be nice to use wifi for BBSing and testing modems. When I have tried to load up Term I get the error that the "serial port is already in use"... Is there anyway to use the serial port for normal Amiga Workbench type tasks like on classic machines or am I stuck with no serial port due to it being only used for debugging the x5000?

3. I've noticed red led lights seem to be lit on the motherboard all the time even when the machine is powered off. Is this normal and is there a way to turn them off when the computer is not on?

4. I installed AmiCygnix but when I open it up the text is all in German. I've tried reinstalling it and make sure to have the locale language on setup as "en" but it is always still in German. As there are OS4 apps like Pidgin written for AmiCygnix it would be good if anyone that uses it can help me get it in to English.

5. Is there an up-to-date or preferred OS4 way to set up samba on the X5000 with OS4.1? I tried this guide but it wouldn't work: https://sambaforamigaos.wordpress.com/a ... -overview/
In the guide Step 5 seems to be missing too so I'm not sure if this is the best way to set up Samba. I just want to access my NAS from my amiga as then using roms would be much easier because I could share them with my emulation computers on the network or copy them off the NAS as well as backup files back to the NAS.
Anybody got this working or knows how to set it up on X5000?

6. Similar to the above last point, how is CUPS set up to print on my network printer from the Amiga. I've read posts about using Raspberry PIs and postscript and other guides but I already have a network cups printer so ideally just being able to communicate with it directly on my LAN would be the best. Again if anyone can help it would be really appreciated.

7. Some emulated games and WHDload games don't seem to run. They crash or the screen goes black. They do work on my original Amigas though so it must be something on my X5000 setup I need to do or that isn't set up right... For example Addams Family and PuttySquad just won't work at all for me. Do I need to do anything to get all games to work - or is this related to the usb issues or some other problem?

The above are my main issues if anyone can help, I have a few more small problems but if I could fix all the above and make the system more stable that would be amazing, as I'm hoping to slowly try to use the X5000 as my main computer even for work. Thanks again for any help. :)
daveyw

Re: 6 Problems I hope to please fix with your help :)

Post by daveyw »

2. The onboard RS232 is only for outputting diagnostic info during boot up. It can't be used for anything else.

4. I have the same issue - but it's just the myX11 Set-up that shows in German. I just click on Speichern and it starts, the rest is in English. I have seen screenshots in English, so there may be a way to get it to display, but I never found out how.

5. That website is what I used to set-up Samba, AFAIK it's the only online resource. I think what is missing you need a mountlist to mount your share - or you can use SMBMounter from OS4 Depot. http://os4depot.net/index.php?function= ... ounter.lha . Samba is fiddly to set up, but it does work, so perserve.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

RE: 5. Note that you don't really need Samba itself for connecting as a client to an SMB share on another computer, only SMBFS. But it's easiest to get working when you have Samba installed first.

SMBMounter works fine for me too.

Don't forget to make an entry in your hosts file (e.g. using the Internet Prefs' Hosts tab) with the exact hostname and IP address you want to connect to, even if you specify the IP address in your SMBMounter entry.

Also in case of problems, try increasing the wait time in SMBMounter's preferences.

BTW, make sure you try with Olsen's newest version of SMBFS. I think the latest install-ready one is 2.12 here: https://os4welt.de/download/file.php?id=3344 (and that's what I currently use)

- but on sourceforge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/amiga-smbfs/) it seems he's already up to 2.22.

Best regards,

Niels
Roland

Post by Roland »

daveyw wrote:2. The onboard RS232 is only for outputting diagnostic info during boot up. It can't be used for anything else.
I do not agree that... I have used succesfully the RS232 port to download pictures from my old Olympus Camedia. There is a small cli-based utility for that, and I have been able to use 230 200 bps with it. The transfer speed is defined as an argument of the utility, not from the serial prefs.

The only problem was I had to remove the bolts from the RS-port as the backplate rised them so that the RS-connector did not take contact properly.
- Roland -
simulant

Post by simulant »

Thanks everyone for the replies. It is reassuring there is enough community on X5000 to get problems fixed and help when needed. It puts my mind at rest a bit that I bought the right NextGen Amiga solution as I was worried that the investment was a lot to pay out.
daveyw wrote:2. The onboard RS232 is only for outputting diagnostic info during boot up. It can't be used for anything else.

4. I have the same issue - but it's just the myX11 Set-up that shows in German. I just click on Speichern and it starts, the rest is in English. I have seen screenshots in English, so there may be a way to get it to display, but I never found out how.

5. That website is what I used to set-up Samba, AFAIK it's the only online resource. I think what is missing you need a mountlist to mount your share - or you can use SMBMounter from OS4 Depot. http://os4depot.net/index.php?function= ... ounter.lha . Samba is fiddly to set up, but it does work, so perserve.
4. Thanks, I'll try it in German again but it would be good if there was anyone we could post a bug report to or email for help with getting this in English.

5. I'll download the SMBMounter and try that. So do I follow all the setup instructions on that website guide before then trying SMBMounter or is there a quicker and easier way these days?
nbache wrote:RE: 5. Note that you don't really need Samba itself for connecting as a client to an SMB share on another computer, only SMBFS. But it's easiest to get working when you have Samba installed first.

Don't forget to make an entry in your hosts file (e.g. using the Internet Prefs' Hosts tab) with the exact hostname and IP address you want to connect to, even if you specify the IP address in your SMBMounter entry.

Also in case of problems, try increasing the wait time in SMBMounter's preferences.

BTW, make sure you try with Olsen's newest version of SMBFS. I think the latest install-ready one is 2.12 here: https://os4welt.de/download/file.php?id=3344 (and that's what I currently use)

- but on sourceforge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/amiga-smbfs/) it seems he's already up to 2.22.
Thanks Niels for also replying:

5. Would you agree to try also follow that guide above then before using SMBFS? Any preference over SMBFS and SMBMounter. I don't want to make my new system too messed up installing lots of things that aren't needed or installing broken things and trying to then add others etc. I'm trying to keep tidy as I set things up :)
Roland wrote:I do not agree that... I have used succesfully the RS232 port to download pictures from my old Olympus Camedia. There is a small cli-based utility for that, and I have been able to use 230 200 bps with it. The transfer speed is defined as an argument of the utility, not from the serial prefs.

The only problem was I had to remove the bolts from the RS-port as the backplate rised them so that the RS-connector did not take contact properly.
Thanks Roland that gives me hope. Where did you get the cli utility from or do you know how I might be able to get the serial port working as an "old-school" Amiga serial port?
trixie

Post by trixie »

@simulant
simulant wrote:USB bugs - I have some cheap generic USB keyboards, mice and gamepads
The USB support on OS4 machines has always been a bit flakey. Never tried a gamepad but as regards keyboards and mice, Logitech stuff always worked for me very well (wired I mean; don't know about wireless).
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

simulant wrote:5. Would you agree to try also follow that guide above then before using SMBFS? Any preference over SMBFS and SMBMounter.
Yes, I would follow the guide and get Samba installed as if you were going to use it to create a Samba server on the Amiga. It sets up the path, assign etc. as SMBFS expects them. Then install SMBFS from the most recent package on OS4Depot, and lastly overwrite the binary with the one I linked to above. Oh, and don't forget what I also wrote about the hosts file.

After that, you should be good to go, e.g. with SMBMounter (which is a GUI and helper for SMBFS, not an alternative to it).

Best regards,

Niels
Roland

Post by Roland »

simulant wrote: Thanks Roland that gives me hope. Where did you get the cli utility from or do you know how I might be able to get the serial port working as an "old-school" Amiga serial port?
It was from Aminet (http://aminet.net/package/comm/misc/DigiCam), but it may be useful only with Digi Cameras.

Have you tested you wifi gadget also with classic machines? How is it accessed, is there any Amiga software included?

There is an older thread on this forum about the serial port of X5000 (http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com ... erial+port). There is mentioned one limitation which might affect your wifi modem, too.

PS. About the USB problems: do have any external USB 2 hubs around? Sometimes they can help in this kind of issues...
Last edited by Roland on Tue May 28, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Roland -
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

Roland wrote:
I do not agree that... I have used succesfully the RS232 port to download pictures from my old Olympus Camedia.
Interesting to know. I was going off what the devs had previously stated.
simulant

Post by simulant »

nbache wrote:RE: 5. Note that you don't really need Samba itself for connecting as a client to an SMB share on another computer, only SMBFS. But it's easiest to get working when you have Samba installed first.

Best regards,

Niels
Hi thanks for the help with Samba. I've managed to mount my NAS which is great however I can't seem to mount my other linux computer (which mounts fine on my other computers...). I've compared the NAS smb.conf to the linux box's smb.conf and it seems to be set up the same so I'm puzzled why I can mount one and not the other. Is there anyway to diagnose issues? Currently I just get the error "Unable to mount share for unknown reason" in smbmounter.

I'm happy to be a step closer though! Thanks again :)