Problem after install wb 3.1.4 on ACA500+

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
lazerus

Problem after install wb 3.1.4 on ACA500+

Post by lazerus »

Hi Everybody,
I need help!. The install of wb 3.1.4 went without a hitch, booted the install disk, created 3 partitions on my 32gb CF card, rebooted, formated the 3 partitions and named them.
Then I rebooted. I end up in a CLI window with the following information:.scsi.device version 52 already resident.loading scsi.device failed: object already exists.
C: LoadModule failed return code 10.
I`m lost. Just getting back into the Amiga After nearly 25 years. Cant remember jack shit!. Cli commands etc. I cant get it set up with anything till it boots up.
I`d need a blow by blow, command by command bit of help.
Cheers
One strange thing tho is that it asked for the a600 modules disk, not the a500 modules disk?

Hardware: ACA500 plus, ACA1233n, RTC Module, X-surf 500
Mark Sealey

Re: Problem after install wb 3.1.4 on ACA500+

Post by Mark Sealey »

did you sort this issue out...?
lazerus

Post by lazerus »

Hi Mark,
Unfortunately not at the moment. Feel really stupid. I have forgotten so much over the years. I assume that I need to edit the startup-sequence to prevent the load instruction for the second scsi.device. But at a loss as to how to display the contents (Script) of instructions, CLI Command, so that I can edit it.
Mark Sealey wrote:did you sort this issue out...?
lazerus

Re: FIXED!!Problem after install wb 3.1.4 on ACA500+

Post by lazerus »

Hi All, I fixed it, with a bit of help from Steve at Amiga passion. Many thanks Steve
lazerus wrote:Hi Mark,
Unfortunately not at the moment. Feel really stupid. I have forgotten so much over the years. I assume that I need to edit the startup-sequence to prevent the load instruction for the second scsi.device. But at a loss as to how to display the contents (Script) of instructions, CLI Command, so that I can edit it.
Mark Sealey wrote:did you sort this issue out...?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

@lazerus:

Please give a short explaination of what the solution was, for the sake of some future user with a similar problem who finds this thread.

Best regards,

Niels
lazerus

Re: Desription of solution to Problem l wb 3.1.4 on ACA500+

Post by lazerus »

Hi All,
Well my problem was that I could not see the actual script in the startup-sequence, in order to edit it. With some great help from Steve From Amiga Passion, I did finally get to see the content. But having gotten in, I did not find what I was expecting (Some reference to "scsi.device"). So now that I could see the contents of and move around various directories, I found in devs a sub folder named A600, and it had a single file inside it called "scsi.device", my rather bodged solution, was to rename this file as "scsi.old. A quick reboot and all was well. there was probably something in the startup-sequence script that loaded the first device driver , and then ran a second reference to the devs folder, which triggered the attempt to load the driver for a second time, there by causing the error.
I hope this is of help to someone
Cheers
nbache wrote:@lazerus

Please give a short explaination of what the solution was, for the sake of some future user with a similar problem who finds this thread.

Best regards,

Niels
kolla

Post by kolla »

lazerus wrote:I found in devs a sub folder named A600, and it had a single file inside it called "scsi.device", my rather bodged solution, was to rename this file as "scsi.old.
So you're saying that LoadModule identified your A500 as an A600 - that might very well be a bug with the LoadModule you are using.
(Not like it's the first time, it used to think all CD32s were A1200s and loaded wrong ROM modules)

Be aware that you are now most likely using an old scsi.device that have issues with large hard drives etc.
(Though I don't know if ACA500+ drives are accessed using kickstart scsi.device, or if it has its own scsi.device)
lazerus

Post by lazerus »

Hi Kolla,
I think the reason the installer asked for the a600 modules disk, was that I have a 1233n accelarator card attached to the my ACA500+ add on. I`m going to try another install on my a500 wich does not have the 1233n card (As they are out of stock everywhere). I will update here if this install askes for the a500 modules disk instead.
Cheers
kolla wrote:
lazerus wrote:I found in devs a sub folder named A600, and it had a single file inside it called "scsi.device", my rather bodged solution, was to rename this file as "scsi.old.
So you're saying that LoadModule identified your A500 as an A600 - that might very well be a bug with the LoadModule you are using.
(Not like it's the first time, it used to think all CD32s were A1200s and loaded wrong ROM modules)

Be aware that you are now most likely using an old scsi.device that have issues with large hard drives etc.
(Though I don't know if ACA500+ drives are accessed using kickstart scsi.device, or if it has its own scsi.device)