BUG: Selecting file by its letter using keyboard

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Amigo1

Re: BUG: Selecting file by its letter using keyboard

Post by Amigo1 »

nbache wrote:Err ... does this response actually belong in another thread?

Best regards,

Niels
yes it does.. how did that happen? :?
Benny

Post by Benny »

nbache wrote:Guys, it's just a prefs setting. Change it and save it if you prefer another setting :-D (BTW, I think it was hard-coded to 3 secs already in WB 3.1, the prefs option only came with 3.5).

How often do you actually find yourself highlighting first one icon, then another, for a "real" purpose (other than "playing around")?

If some effort should be used in this area, I would much prefer if it were used on documenting the behaviour, so users are aware of it. At least I didn't find anything in the Documentation drawer about it.

Best regards,

Niels
Thanks, I allready thought it was a bug, like the topicstarter did ;) Like said before, on other systems it is commen to press the same key again for the next entry.
samo79

Post by samo79 »

That's true, this action is very common for Windows users for fast selecting, and there you can eventually even open the selected folder just pressing "Enter" key making this action even more confortable ... on AmigaOS instead you need to press RAmiga+o

Perhaps we may add a new option in WB prefs (under Keyboard selection) to choose another key for quick opening a folder ?
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

samo79 wrote:That's true, this action is very common for Windows users for fast selecting, and there you can eventually even open the selected folder just pressing "Enter" key making this action even more confortable ... on AmigaOS instead you need to press RAmiga+o

Perhaps we may add a new option in WB prefs (under Keyboard selection) to choose another key for quick opening a folder ?
I'm fairly positive it is already possible by defining the enter key in "SetKeyAndMenu.rexx".

But you are right, it would be really nice if we could introduce a system like in macOS where as good as every Key-Shortcut (of a menu entry) is definable by the user.