AmigaOS maximum resolution (Radeon R5 230)

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Quaros

AmigaOS maximum resolution (Radeon R5 230)

Post by Quaros »

Because I want to be able to triple boot (AmigaOS / MorphOS / Ubuntu) my X5000 I have installed the ASUS Radeon R5 230 in my system. However after installing AmigaOS 4.1 and all (1.3 & 1.4) enhancer updates I am not able to set my resolution for my monitor higher than 1920 x 1080.

The monitor (DELL U3014) supports 2560 x 1600 as the maximum resolution and it is connected via a DVI to HDMI Adapter followed by a HDMI cable into my monitor. You could argue that there could be something wrong with this physical configuration running the HDMI cable through a DVI adapter, however when using the exact same configuration I am able to go to 2560 x 1600 in both MorphOS 3.11 and Ubuntu 16.04!?!

Is there a way to fix this in AmigaOS? I know that higher resolutions are possible because I have used the Radeon R7 250 video card in the 2560 x 1600 resolution in AmigaOS without any issues.

On a side note: the on-board HDMI port on the Radeon R5 230 doesn't seem to work once entering both AmigaOS or MorpOS graphical modes. I have tried that as a work-a-round first. Don't know what is causing that but that's another issue ;)

Kind regards,
Vincent
trixie

Re: AmigaOS maximum resolution (Radeon R5 230)

Post by trixie »

Quaros wrote:I am not able to set my resolution for my monitor higher than 1920 x 1080 [...] Is there a way to fix this in AmigaOS?
I doubt AmigaOS is at fault here. I have a Sapphire Radeon R5 230 card in my X5000, and I run 1920x1200 happily. I use straight DVI connection, though (no adaptor).

I assume you have set your desired resolution manually in the DEVS:Monitors/Radeon icon tooltypes?

What does the Screenmode prefs editor say when you tick "Detect settings automatically" (under the second tab in the editor's GUI)?
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

Quaros wrote: On a side note: the on-board HDMI port on the Radeon R5 230 doesn't seem to work once entering both AmigaOS or MorpOS graphical modes. I have tried that as a work-a-round first. Don't know what is causing that but that's another issue ;)
I had a similar problem when I first built my X5000 in May 2017. I had a Radeon 7850 HD which I connected through HDMI. Uboot would come up, but after that black. Bought all the Radeon drivers from AEON, but still no luck.

Switched to another card (I can't remember what it was; it was lower spec than the 7850... it may even have been the R5 230!), and it worked fine.

Later, I put the 7850 back in and tried a DVI --> HDMI (no adapter), and that worked OK.

So then I tried the HDMI --> HDMI again, and it just worked. I don't know what I did to get it working.
Quaros

Post by Quaros »

trixie wrote:
Quaros wrote:I am not able to set my resolution for my monitor higher than 1920 x 1080 [...] Is there a way to fix this in AmigaOS?
I doubt AmigaOS is at fault here. I have a Sapphire Radeon R5 230 card in my X5000, and I run 1920x1200 happily. I use straight DVI connection, though (no adaptor).

I assume you have set your desired resolution manually in the DEVS:Monitors/Radeon icon tooltypes?

What does the Screenmode prefs editor say when you tick "Detect settings automatically" (under the second tab in the editor's GUI)?
Thank you very Munch for your reply. It seems that changing to “Detect settings automatically’ did the trick after saving and rebooting. I am now able to run 1920 x 1200 without any issues. However when I want to try the native resolution of my monitor I get garbled text and a somewhat unclear picture. I am wondering why this is happening? It is showing up as valid resolution but it is unusable once chosen.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Quaros wrote: I am now able to run 1920 x 1200 without any issues. However when I want to try the native resolution of my monitor I get garbled text and a somewhat unclear picture. I am wondering why this is happening? It is showing up as valid resolution but it is unusable once chosen.
Is your DVI cable a DVI DL one?

Best regards,

Niels
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

"Somewhat unclear" sounds as though the picture is in scan sync but has bad resolution. Can you provide us with a camera shot of portion of the display?
cheers
tony
Quaros

Post by Quaros »

nbache wrote:
Quaros wrote: I am now able to run 1920 x 1200 without any issues. However when I want to try the native resolution of my monitor I get garbled text and a somewhat unclear picture. I am wondering why this is happening? It is showing up as valid resolution but it is unusable once chosen.
Is your DVI cable a DVI DL one?

Best regards,

Niels
I am using a DVI to HDMI adapter. The adapter is Dual Link I believe. The same configuration is used for MorphOS and Ubuntu. They both handle the native resolution (2560x1600 @60 Hertz) of my monitor perfectly. 2560x1600 is also supported by the Radeon R5 230 videocard although this is the highest resolution possible for this card.
Quaros

Post by Quaros »

tonyw wrote:"Somewhat unclear" sounds as though the picture is in scan sync but has bad resolution. Can you provide us with a camera shot of portion of the display?
I will try to make a picture of the screen later today to give a better picture of what is really happening in both 1920x1200 (which looks fine) and 2560x1600 (which becomes unreadable).
Quaros

Post by Quaros »

As promised some screenshots:

At first sight the resolution 2560x1600 looks fine if you take a look at the desktop as is seen in the screenshot I have taken with my phone:
Desktop 2560x1600
Desktop 2560x1600
However if you look closely to the fonts on the screen in the 2560x1600 resolution they seem to be distorted somehow:
Right Click Menu
Right Click Menu
Once chosen (not while testing resolutions) for 2560x1600 in the ScreenMode menu I am not able to go back to 1920x1200. AmigaOS keeps on spamming me in a loop with an error that the screen mode cannot be set. Only a reboot is helping when this happens.

So in 1920x1200 the fonts look nice and readable, in 2560x1600 it gets almost unreadable as you can see in the screenmode preference menu:
ScreenMode Menu
ScreenMode Menu
So what is happening here?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

It certainly looks like a bandwidth limitation to me. All the narrow vertical lines (high frequencies) are smeared or washed out, while horizontal lines (low frequencies) are OK. I would suspect the adaptor or cable, but you say it is OK with other OS? Really OK on fine text?

Perhaps the AmigaOS Radeon driver is trying to use the analogue parts of the DVI connector, while the other OS are using the digital and thus are able to use the full DL bandwidth. Dunno.

I notice that your H freq is very high - nearly 100 kHz. With 2560 pixels across the screen, that needs a bandwidth greater than (2560 x 100 k =) 256 MHz. That is pushing the bounds of the adaptor and cable, not to mention the specification of the DVI interface. Perhaps you need to attract Hans' attention.
cheers
tony