Unstable X5000

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

Unstable X5000

Post by amigasociety »

I am guessing Enhancer 1.4 and its many add-ons could be a culprit but can't say for sure.

I have a fairly fresh Amiga OS 4.1FE install on my X5K and did all the Enhancer 1.4 on top of it. Guessing quite a few Amigans do the same since the purchase of the X5K from some dealers comes with Enhancer. I normally have Candi running as a side note.

I seem to get frequent lock-ups when I do the following...

Turn on X5K... launch Wookie or AmIRC, launch AmigaAmp 3.23, and as music starts I grab AmigaAmp window to reposition on my screen, and as I move the app the system freezes. Music still plays but I lose control of doing anything else.... no cursor, nothing. Only a hard reboot takes care of it.

I can get the same thing to happen in TuneNet 2.9 also.

Most the time I use only a few apps after turning on my X. Wookie, Odyssey, and music from either AmigaAmp or TuneNet.

Anyone else experience this kind of issue?

I may do a new install and NOT install Enhancer and see if I can get the same music related crash but before I do so, figured it would not hurt to ask here.

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
amigasociety

Re: Unstable X5000

Post by amigasociety »

May have answered my own question. Appears to be Wookie that is the culprit for my issue. Was the common app that I always ran.

Testing going well. Switching between AmigaAmp and TuneNet... move all around with Odyssey, AmIRC running. So, if it keeps like this, could be Wookie will finally be over for me. Have used it for years. Only change I can think of is on-board ethernet versus NIC. Had been on NIC until about 2 months ago when the on-board ethernet became available. Switched to on-board and things did get unsettled but got worse. Maybe coincidence. Right now appears Wookie is it and why I would lock up when using these apps in question.

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

Hmmm.... I have been having a few stability problems myself, but I don't run Wookiechat.

I was have been having two problems that seem to be GUI related:

I start Odyssey, it starts to draw the GUI, then freezes.
I boot up, I see the RAM disk appear, then freezes.

Not doing it all the time. It is hot and humid as hell right now, so I thought that my GFX card may not be liking the weather.

However, it also started around the time I installed the updated Radeon drivers.

I don't run Candi, it seems very unstable. I didn't switch to the onboard NIC, as I found it too slow with Samab (although I haven't tested the updated version).
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

I think the speed of the Onboard X5000 nic is comparable to the Realtek PCI nic that comes shipped with the machine.

Made a video a while ago of the onboard nic running: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32l-hf0tw7s

I have also disabled Candi...
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

speedtest.png
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

I don't think its the internet speed - it's the Local network.

When I open the icon for my NAS connected by NIC it's waaaaay faster than when I open it connected by the onboard ethernet. The icons are noticeably faster to appear.

But I haven't tested it since Samba was up-dated.
LiveForIt

Post by LiveForIt »

amigasociety wrote:Anyone else experience this kind of issue?
Yes, and I have a AmigaONE-X1000, I think there is bug some where, layers / intuition / graphics / console.device / RadionHd or some where else.

I do lot of logging in Amiga shell consoles, for debuing, while doing that system often freeze when I try to move/resize windows.
In my case it possible that, there its my programs that are corrupting systems, so I have not been too quick to complain about it.
Specially because this stuff should have been tested by the beta testers.

there is no disk or network activity while this is happening here, it just me and my console. And stuff like XDOCK running in the background.

There is always the possibility that there is my programs I have written that is some how to blame. But if there are others who experience lockups that is not using my program, so its more likely elsewhere.

The only program I’m running in the background is XDOCK, it might be problem with XDOCK, it looks really uncomplete, I wonder if was even beta tested or if was pushed out without testing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt91EOnzPss

I'm thinkg about going back to AmiDock, or write ny own dock program.
Last edited by LiveForIt on Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@LiveForit
it might be problem with XDOCK, it looks really uncomplete,
What bugs you have with ?
LiveForIt

Post by LiveForIt »

kas1e wrote:@LiveForit
it might be problem with XDOCK, it looks really uncomplete,
What bugs you have with ?
See my youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt91EOnzPss

* console window opens when I doroping icons on XDOCK.
* context menu window not showing when I right clicking XDOCK.
* icons are not saved, after droping icons on it, and reboot.
* programs often crash when try to start programs form XDOCK.
* programs starts with wrong path.
* Program fails to organize icons into columns if there are more icons then it fit vertically.
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

Things got worse today. Had a lock-up while transferring a large files from USB. Switched it off and left it off for a couple of hours to cool down (today has been quite hot although not as humid).

Came back and made three failed attempts to boot. On each attempt, Workbench would start to load and then lock. So could be a problem with GFX, or it could be a problem with one of my drives.

I booted into Linux with no problems, which makes me think its a software problem with AmigaOS. Tootled around in Linux for a while, rebooted into AmigaOS.

I will try and do some experiments with either my USB emergency drive or my backup boot partition that I made before the Radeon upgrade.