PlayCD and mounted .iso images

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Roland

PlayCD and mounted .iso images

Post by Roland »

Is it possiblke to get PlayCD to accept mounted .ISO images? Just using tooltype "DOSDEV=ICD0" does not work...

Or is there some other CD player whch can do the job...?
- Roland -
Raziel

Re: PlayCD and mounted .iso images

Post by Raziel »

I was intriguided by your question, never tried that :-)

It can be done.

I take it you are using diskimage.device?

1) Open DiskImage.device
2) Find the unit number of ICD0
3) Open PlayCD's tooltype (Information)
4) Change "device=" to "diskimage.device"
5) Change "Unit=" to "your unit number" ("4" is diskimage.device's default for ICD0, i think)
6) Be sure to have everything else (except "USEAHI") commented out
7) Load your .cue file to diskimage.device (yes, the .cue file, the .iso file with the data won't work as it consists of only one track and no filesystem, hence you need the .cue file which represents a TOC for the .iso)
8) Load PlayCD and off you go.

I just tried it with a single (3 tracks) and it works great, alas you may have problems finding a program on the amiga that actually create the correct .iso/.cue pairs. (AmiDVD sure can't do it)

If you want some info on how i did it, just shout (curse words like "windows", "pc" and such not excluded, sorry)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Roland

Post by Roland »

Raziel wrote:I was intriguided by your question, never tried that :-)

It can be done.

I take it you are using diskimage.device?

1) Open DiskImage.device
2) Find the unit number of ICD0
3) Open PlayCD's tooltype (Information)
4) Change "device=" to "diskimage.device"
5) Change "Unit=" to "your unit number" ("4" is diskimage.device's default for ICD0, i think)
6) Be sure to have everything else (except "USEAHI") commented out
7) Load your .cue file to diskimage.device (yes, the .cue file, the .iso file with the data won't work as it consists of only one track and no filesystem, hence you need the .cue file which represents a TOC for the .iso)
8) Load PlayCD and off you go.

I just tried it with a single (3 tracks) and it works great, alas you may have problems finding a program on the amiga that actually create the correct .iso/.cue pairs. (AmiDVD sure can't do it)
Thanks for your research work!-) But indeed, how to create that .cue file... MakeCD creates a small auxialiary file, but it names it differently.

When I tested with Linux, there was created a file with the ending '.toc', but loading it to MountImage did not work. The main file is named '.img', and MountImage cannot get it mounted properly if selected directly.
If you want some info on how i did it, just shout (curse words like "windows", "pc" and such not excluded, sorry)
I do not have any windows machine but if it can be done somehow with Linux (PPC or Intel) I could try it.
- Roland -
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Thanks for your research work!-) But indeed, how to create that .cue file... MakeCD creates a small auxialiary file, but it names it differently.
You're welcome and yes, sadly MakeCD is too limited to feature that.
I do not have any windows machine but if it can be done somehow with Linux (PPC or Intel) I could try it.
No problem
1) Get WINE (Windows environment compatibility layer) --- no help here, sorry, i never installed it because i'm a complete Linux noob
2) Get IsoBuster
3) Run IsoBuster
4) File/your cd/Extract
5) Extract to .iso/.cue

Transfer it to your Amiga, mount the .cue file to diskimage.device, change PlayCD accordingly and have fun :-)
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Hmm...there might be another way...but it's
A) tedious work, especially when you are going to back up your music collection and
B) won't work if the MakeCD .img file is not an .iso file in disguise.

The .cue file is a simple text file consisting of the audio tracks (for audio cds) and their respective length/size as INDEX, so the program to read it knows where to start the next track, in their corresponding .iso file

It looks like this

Code: Select all

FILE "CD_Test.iso" BINARY

TRACK 01 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 00:00:00
    TRACK 02 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 03:09:04
    TRACK 03 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 06:18:67
The above is the original .cue from the test cd i made (excluding stuff that was added by isobuster and which was just blowing it up)

It could easily be written manually for every cd, the problem though is to find a program that explicitely shows the size/length of each track including seconds (not sure if MakeCD [can] do that?).
One could calculate that by oneself, but that would mean even more work.

Since Audio CD's doesn't contain any pauses, the length of track 1 is the INDEX of track 2, while track 3's INDEX is the combined length of 1 and 2 and so on and so forth.

If you can code, you could probably wrap something up easily to take over the work :-)
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Roland

Post by Roland »

Raziel wrote:Hmm...there might be another way...but it's
A) tedious work, especially when you are going to back up your music collection and
B) won't work if the MakeCD .img file is not an .iso file in disguise.

The .cue file is a simple text file consisting of the audio tracks (for audio cds) and their respective length/size as INDEX, so the program to read it knows where to start the next track, in their corresponding .iso file

It looks like this

FILE "CD_Test.iso" BINARY

TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TRACK 03 AUDIO
The above is the original .cue from the test cd i made (excluding stuff that was added by isobuster and which was just blowing it up)
Thanks again! But isn't there anything else needed in the .cue file...? I did a test and created such file using the format above but when tried to load it to DiskImage, it gave an error message "a needed qualifier missing" !? (BTW, are there tabs or just spaces at the beginning of lines?)
- Roland -
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Roland wrote: Thanks again! But isn't there anything else needed in the .cue file...? I did a test and created such file using the format above but when tried to load it to DiskImage, it gave an error message "a needed qualifier missing" !? (BTW, are there tabs or just spaces at the beginning of lines?)
I just tried again and it still works here.
Might be because the corresponding ".iso" is not an .iso"? ;-)

Those are spaces, no tabs inside

I tried with an image created from AmiDVD, doesn't work, the .iso doesn't get mounted at all.
The .iso from isobuster works fine though, even when i mess with the cue file, the part i posted above is all you need.

The original looks like this

FILE "CD.iso" BINARY

REM ORIGINAL MEDIA-TYPE: CD

REM SESSION 01        (*)
    TRACK 01 AUDIO
      ISRC DEH590200349
         REM LBA: 0
    TRACK 02 AUDIO
         REM LBA: 14179
    TRACK 03 AUDIO
         REM LBA: 28417

REM (*) SESSION commands are not supported by all applications

REM Generated by IsoBuster 4.2.0.00 (https://www.isobuster.com)
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Roland

Post by Roland »

Raziel wrote: I just tried again and it still works here.
Might be because the corresponding ".iso" is not an .iso"? ;-)
How to recognize a 'real' .iso...?
I tried with an image created from AmiDVD, doesn't work, the .iso doesn't get mounted at all.
The .iso from isobuster works fine though, even when i mess with the cue file, the part i posted above is all you need.
Peculiar... The two images I created with AmiDVD, directly from original music CDs, can be mounted without problems. The tracks are shown with AIFF icon and can be copied, and played with MPlayer. On the Linux side, they cannot be mounted...
- Roland -
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

@Roland:
Peculiar... The two images I created with AmiDVD, directly from original music CDs, can be mounted without problems. The tracks are shown with AIFF icon and can be copied, and played with MPlayer. On the Linux side, they cannot be mounted...
That's because you didn't really create them directly from music CDs. The CDFileSystem interprets an audio CD and presents it to AmigaOS as a (data) disc with AIFF files, one per track. Then, when you ask AmiDVD to create an ISO from those, it creates it as a data CD image with those files in it.

Best regards,

Niels
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Roland wrote: How to recognize a 'real' .iso...?
That is the problem, you can't.
Every .iso file consists on one large block of data, it has no TOC, no fs, no nothing, just the pure data track.

Using an audio cd for .iso will make it "easy" to provide said TOC (the .cue file), because every pure audio cd consists of audio tracks only, some have more, some have less. (Dont get me started on data discs) :-)

In my case, the "single" consisted of three tracks.
If i hex edit this .iso i can see a lot of blank space at the beginning, the next .iso from a "longplay" cd starts with data right at the first bit.
Every .iso is different and so far i have not found any marker to make it distinguishable (e.g. with DefIcons)

There is, as far as i know, no program on the amiga who can produce .iso files (there are some on aminet, but none of them worked under OS4)

So, either you split up whatever you are trying to achieve (let's say backup your cds as .iso under Linux and use them under amigaos) or you code yourself a "RAW/AIFF/AUDIO CD to .iso" imager ;-)

...eh, and what Niels said... :-D
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg