Blank WB (no icons) after 3.1.4. install

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Crematorman

Blank WB (no icons) after 3.1.4. install

Post by Crematorman »

Hi all,
I tried to install OS 3.1.4. onto my Amiga 1200. All went well, I followed the disk prompts etc all the way through and at the end asked for the Install disk to be removed and to reboot the machine.
Once done, all seemed well until the Workbench popped up
And that's it :cry:

System is Amiga 1200, ACA1221 accelerator, 4gb CF HDD, 4gb PCMCIA which was running WB3.1 beforehand but have formatted and tried a direct 3.1.4. install with the same result.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Mark Sealey

Re: Blank WB (no icons) after 3.1.4. install

Post by Mark Sealey »

Ok...small steps......can you boot from the install disk ?

If you can boot that....and can see the boot partition have a look around....check its ok

Ok what file system are you using ? I use pfs3 aio
Crematorman

Post by Crematorman »

Mark Sealey wrote:Ok...small steps......can you boot from the install disk ?

If you can boot that....and can see the boot partition have a look around....check its ok

Ok what file system are you using ? I use pfs3 aio

Hi,
I could boot from the install disk but couldn't determine the file system, it was a preformatted 4gb CF card with WB3.1 and games etc. I have since swapped it out with a new 8gb CF card which I have formatted myself using HDToolBox, WINUAE etc., so have hopefully got the right one now!
I'm currently going through the agonising process of re-downloading the WHDLoad game pack from EAB so I can ensure the 8gb card has a working OS (ClassicWB) and games etc. Once done, I will format the 4gb card as ps3 aio and reinstall in the 1200 and try the 3.1.4 install again.
Also need to get it recapped before long too so please bear with me :)

Thanks.
oscillik

Post by oscillik »

That screen shows up if I try to boot from my Kickstart 3.1 40.68 ROMs. Are you kicking from the new ROM?
Crematorman

Post by Crematorman »

oscillik wrote:That screen shows up if I try to boot from my Kickstart 3.1 40.68 ROMs. Are you kicking from the new ROM?
I don't know if I'm honest, I saw there were some ROM files with the download but have no idea what to do with them. I've since given up with 3.1.4, I'll stick with something which works.
LiveForIt

Post by LiveForIt »

Crematorman wrote:
oscillik wrote:That screen shows up if I try to boot from my Kickstart 3.1 40.68 ROMs. Are you kicking from the new ROM?
I don't know if I'm honest, I saw there were some ROM files with the download but have no idea what to do with them. I've since given up with 3.1.4, I'll stick with something which works.
The digital download is for people with ROM burner or some who’s going to use for emulation.

If you don’t have rom burner you need look for one on ebay, or maybe you ask on forums if some can burn the rom for you, or maybe might buy physical version of disks and rom.

Personally I think it might be useful to have a ROM burner, if there is AmigaOS3.1.5 or 3.1.6 or something next year or the year after. you might find your self in the same delama.
LiveForIt

Post by LiveForIt »

It’s also worth checking out Individual computer support forum:

https://forum.icomp.de/index.php?board/ ... elerators/
cha05e90

Post by cha05e90 »

LiveForIt wrote:
Crematorman wrote: The digital download is for people with ROM burner or some who’s going to use for emulation.
Depends. If you have (like me) the "Disk Based Digital Download" version then the same mechanics as the "old" AmigaOS 3.9 update are used: the (infamous) ROM update dual-boot. This way I "crossgraded" my Amiga 2000 AmigaOS 3.9BB2 setups.
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000