Sound absent

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Roland

Sound absent

Post by Roland »

I just realized I have not got sound working in any of the Amiga Linux distros I have tested so far... E.g. in Ubuntu 16.04 I have used the 'Sound' preferences and tried to activate my card (seen as VT 1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi Chanel Audio controller), and inactivate the HDMI controller of the graphics card, but nothing seems to help - just no sound coming out. In Mate 2017 Remix I also tried the 'Pulse Audio Volume Control', but still no sound.

Is that card of mine not supported by any Linux distro...? In Amiga side it works, though.
- Roland -
Spectre660

Re: Sound absent

Post by Spectre660 »

@Roland

The Envyht24 cards do not work reliably under Linux .
They seem to be only initialized properly on a few boots. so most of the time they don't work.
As I am not sure if the ESI@julia PCIe cards have the same problems I have left Envyht24 support in my kernels.
I actually have a PCI Envyht24 that worked when I tested it under Linux on my X5000 but no sound under AmigaOS 4.1

Radeon HDMI audio is my sound option under Linux on the X5000 .
I am currently using a PCI CMI 8738 under AmigaOS 4.1 but it will case problems under Linux if any full screen video is enabled.
I thus have it disable under LInux.
On the Sam460ex I use an external USB sound card as the Radeon HDMI audio does not work.
https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters ... CUSBAUDIO7

Still trying to get a couple of working pciex1 CMI8738 cards for both machines .
Roland wrote:I just realized I have not got sound working in any of the Amiga Linux distros I have tested so far... E.g. in Ubuntu 16.04 I have used the 'Sound' preferences and tried to activate my card (seen as VT 1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi Chanel Audio controller), and inactivate the HDMI controller of the graphics card, but nothing seems to help - just no sound coming out. In Mate 2017 Remix I also tried the 'Pulse Audio Volume Control', but still no sound.

Is that card of mine not supported by any Linux distro...? In Amiga side it works, though.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Roland

Post by Roland »

Spectre660 wrote:The Envyht24 cards do not work reliably under Linux .
They seem to be only initialized properly on a few boots. so most of the time they don't work.
Sad to hear that... But thanks for informing me that the problem is not in my settings.
But if use the Radeon HDMI under Linux, and also use AmigaOS, how have you solved the cabling...? If I remember correctly, HDMI cabling is not recommended for AmigaOS...? Do you have to switch cables when you change OS? I think I have never tested HDMI, I do not even have a cable around...
On the Sam460ex I use an external USB sound card as the Radeon HDMI audio does not work.
Have you tested that also with X5000?
- Roland -
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

HDMI connections for video work under AmigaOS 4.1 with no problems.
So no moving of Cables.
Linux Audio is through the Monitor Speakers.
AmigaOS 4.1 audio is through headphones connected to the CMI 8738 pci card via an extension cable.
The USB audio card also works with the X5000 .

I had reported the Envy24ht24 problem but none of the Linux Devs had one of these cards .
http://www.spinics.net/lists/alsa-devel/msg46730.html

Roland wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:The Envyht24 cards do not work reliably under Linux .
Sad to hear that... But thanks for informing me that the problem is not in my settings.
But if use the Radeon HDMI under Linux, and also use AmigaOS, how have you solved the cabling...? If I remember correctly, HDMI cabling is not recommended for AmigaOS...? Do you have to switch cables when you change OS? I think I have never tested HDMI, I do not even have a cable around...
Have you tested that also with X5000?
Roland

Post by Roland »

Spectre660 wrote:HDMI connections for video work under AmigaOS 4.1 with no problems.
So no moving of Cables.
Linux Audio is through the Monitor Speakers.
AmigaOS 4.1 audio is through headphones connected to the CMI 8738 pci card via an extension cable.
I see... But I just checked that my monitor does not have a HDMI port at all, so just a HDMI cable would not be in my case enough :-/.
The USB audio card also works with the X5000.
Ok... But are there also PCI/PCIe sound card models which work perfectly with Linux, even though they are not supported by AmigaOS?
- Roland -
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

In addition to support for audio cards supported by AmigaOS4.1 my Kernels have modules to support the following (Note I have not tested any of these sound Cards):

C-Media CMI8788 (Oxygen HD Audio) chip:
*Asound A-8788 * Asus Xonar DG/DGX * AuzenTech X-Meridian * AuzenTech X-Meridian 2G * Bgears b-Enspirer * Club3D Theatron DTS * HT-Omega Claro (plus) * HT-Omega Claro halo (XT) * Kuroutoshikou CMI8787-HG2PCI * Razer Barracuda AC-1 * Sondigo Inferno * TempoTec/MediaTek HiFier Fantasia * TempoTec/MediaTek HiFier S
(CONFIG_SND_OXYGEN_LIB)
(CONFIG_SND_OXYGEN)

Creative Sound Blastr X-Fi boards with 20k1 or 20k2 chips.
(CONFIG_SND_CTXFI)

Sound Blaster Audigy LS and Live 24bit
(CONFIG_SND_CA0106)
Roland

Post by Roland »

Spectre660 wrote: Radeon HDMI audio is my sound option under Linux on the X5000 .
I was sure there was someone who has succesfully used that option :-)! Could you please tell us what to do to activate the Radeon HDMI audio? Some extra modules or libraries needed? A special kernel version? In audio prefs I can already see 'Radeon Cedar audio', but there is no option to choose for it, 'OFF' is the only one listed. (For Envy 24HT there are several options to choose, in addition to 'OFF', even though it is not really working with Linux).
- Roland -
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

@roland

Hi, i am using the M-AUDIO Evolution pci soundcard with Envy GT chipset. Works like a charm on Linux and OS4.1
This card also keeps working with more than 4GB of Ram. :-) My soundblaster live did not like more than 4GB when using linux.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
Roland

Post by Roland »

Skateman wrote:Hi, i am using the M-AUDIO Evolution pci soundcard with Envy GT chipset. Works like a charm on Linux and OS4.1
This card also keeps working with more than 4GB of Ram. :-) My soundblaster live did not like more than 4GB when using linux.
Thanks for the tip! Is that card still in production, and is there also a PCIe version of it? Both of my PCI slots are already in use.
- Roland -
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

No, as far as i can tell this card is End of Life for quite some time now.
Found mine for a few Euros online.. Used.. and its PCI only.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full