DOSpackets and VectorPorts...

This forum is for general developer support questions.
Belxjander

DOSpackets and VectorPorts...

Post by Belxjander »

I've been looking through writing a DOSdriver as part of polymorph and actually have a possibly serious consideration...

When creating and registering a Volume Node for dos.library...

Does there need to be a 1:1 relationship between partition device and volume nodes?

Would access restricting device nodes to dospackets and setting up a single volume node for sharing a pool of device nodes actually be practical ( volume is vectorport based and hosted from the root device instance...)

I'm trying to consider how to merge the volume presence of multiple partitions as a single volume.

NTFS "mountpoint" and Linux "mountpoint" behaviours to redirect from mount locations in a single volume hierarchy as two primary examples...

Would that kind of behaviour be acceptable/workable on AOS4FE+U1 and newer builds?
thomasrapp

Re: DOSpackets and VectorPorts...

Post by thomasrapp »

There is no relation between devices and volumes. The only difference is that the device node is added by the Mount command and can start the handler process while the device node(s) is (are) added by the handler.

If your handler is running, you can add as many volume nodes as you like. If your handler can be run by another means (for example as a shell program) you don't even need a device node.

You can also make a device without a volume. Just keep in mind that only volumes are shown by Workbench. Devices aren't.

SMBFS is an example which runs from CLI and lets you choose to add only a device or only a volume or both.
Belxjander

Re: DOSpackets and VectorPorts...

Post by Belxjander »

so I could in theory add a whole group of device nodes into a pool and have a single Volume use the entire expanded pool,
even with RDSK hardblock descibed partitions,

or a Virtual Volume with added non-device slave processes for whatever essential tasks are required to handle bookkeeping and storage for the volume concerned.

good to know there isn't any real relation there.