Use different language and keymap

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
lazi

Use different language and keymap

Post by lazi »

I would like to use ISO8859-2 charset, but english language locale.
AFAIK I have to compile a special file for Devs:KeyMaps/
The SDK seems to have only an example keymap source.

Can I have all keymap sources to be able just modify the charset and recompile it?
Or is there other way to force english language?

Thanks in advance for help.
chris

Re: Use different language and keymap

Post by chris »

lazi wrote:I would like to use ISO8859-2 charset, but english language locale.
AFAIK I have to compile a special file for Devs:KeyMaps/
The SDK seems to have only an example keymap source.

Can I have all keymap sources to be able just modify the charset and recompile it?
Or is there other way to force english language?
You will need an English language driver which is set with the ISO-8859-2 charset.

Your existing keymap should be fine, it is the language driver which sets the charset. The first language you select in Locale sets the charset and the preferred language. If your keymap is already ISO-8859-2 then it will continue to work as expected.

There is source code in the SDK, it isn't difficult to modify but you may find the embedded strings need changing for that character set.
lazi

Post by lazi »

Yes, I have mixed keymap file with language driver.
Still the question is open: can I access sources of language drivers contributed in the system?
Don't like to recreate it instead of changing only keymap.

However I think setting keymap for a language should be in user space.
chris

Post by chris »

lazi wrote:Yes, I have mixed keymap file with language driver.
Still the question is open: can I access sources of language drivers contributed in the system?
Don't like to recreate it instead of changing only keymap.
The source is in the SDK, they have to be compiled as various charset sorting tables and functions are present.

The best option is to modify czech.language, as it just requires a copy'n'paste of the English built-in strings over the top of the Czech ones (they don't use anything beyond ASCII), and all the charset guff can be left as-is.

It would be useful if charset and language weren't coupled together in Locale, but that's the way it is.
However I think setting keymap for a language should be in user space.
Keymaps are entirely separate and just simple text files in OS4, so you can edit them easily if need be, or use one for an entirely different language with no bother (unless it has a different charset).