HELP : compatibility of new console.device OS4.1FE

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
YesCop

Re: HELP : compatibility of new console.device OS4.1FE

Post by YesCop »

Hi everybody.

This thread is interesting and may be related to one problem I have.
I have used nl (Newlist) for ages since os3.1. It works well on 4.1 upd6.
Nl is a replacement for list, dir with a lot if interesting options.
On FE, nl works until the cursor is located on the bottom of the console.
In this situation, the result is garbage and unreadable.
Any hint?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Tell me where to get it from and I'll see what's happening.
cheers
tony
YesCop

Post by YesCop »

Hi Tonyw,

Here is the link to this old program http://aminet.net/util/sys/Newlist82.lha

I use the 030 version. I have just tested the other version with the same result.

An another bug I found is I can't use nl with ram:
nl ram: hangs
c:list ram: works. Note I use c:list and not list because in Newlist there are aliases like list.

Now, the cpu is 100% for a moment and the console hanged.
The system is unusable except for the keyboard and mouse. I must do a warm reboot.
YesCop

Post by YesCop »

Oh I forgot to ask something else.
Can I change the qualifier ALt to Ctrl to move between words in my line of commands in the shell?

Thanks for watching.
Cheers,
YesCop
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I had a look at it and I suggest you forget it. It's just so old and expects the file systems, Exec and DOS to be twenty years old also.

The OS has changed since 1993 and things don't work that way any more. Some of the DOS calls it uses are deprecated, nearly all are emulated to new calls. Programs that worked because they exploited undocumented "quirks" in the OS may no longer work.

It was written for FFS, but that was replaced by FFS2 ten years ago. The RAM Disk handler has also been rewritten clean and bug-free and if "nl" hangs or crashes, that means that it (nl) has some bad faults.
Some of the code sequences it uses are these days regarded as strictly forbidden, for example, it calls Forbid(), then exits, leaving a "hanging Forbid()". I'm not surprised that it hangs or crashes with the current OS.

It's really not worth trying to run the scripts, since they probably all need to be rewritten to make use of the current-day API. From what I saw of them, there is nothing there that you couldn't already do with the console, so I can't see what it offered even then.

Why would you want to "overload" the C:List name, anyway? If you want to provide a new set of commands, why not simply leave the old command untouched and generate a new command name? Maybe I've missed something.

Sorry, not impressed. It might have been useful 22 years ago, but not any more. There must be some more recent utility that does the same thing, using the features of the current-day OS.

Ctrl/Alt:
No, you can't, because Ctrl + cursor movement means "highlight" or "mark" the text, in the AmigaOS style guide. Sorry, can't be changed.
cheers
tony
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

Salut YesCop
You can try ShowFiles, it works well on FE :

http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?funct ... wfiles.lha
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
YesCop

Post by YesCop »

Tony,
I knew that you would write that to me. I know it is an 'very' old program and surely not written to OS4 obviously in mind.
But it worked perfectly on previous OS4, it is not so old. Nevermind.
Just to conclude, here is only an example of what I can do with nl.
nl -E"ffmpeg -i \'%P\' -vcodec mpeg4 -b 1300k -r 29.97 -acodec libmp3lame -ar 48000 -ab 192k -ac 2 \'%P.mpg'\ " Dream:VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_[1-4].vob"

I can execute on the fly several commands. Here it is to convert some vob video to mpg. Yes, I could do this creating myself each time a script using c:list and format but not so easily as nl does.

zzd10h, hello. How are you? I will give a try to showfiles.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

Just to conclude, here is only an example of what I can do with nl.
nl -E"ffmpeg -i \'%P\' -vcodec mpeg4 -b 1300k -r 29.97 -acodec libmp3lame -ar 48000 -ab 192k -ac 2 \'%P.mpg'\ " Dream:VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_[1-4].vob"

I can execute on the fly several commands. Here it is to convert some vob video to mpg. Yes, I could do this creating myself each time a script using c:list and format but not so easily as nl does.

Code: Select all

list to pipe:  Dream:VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_[1-4].vob lformat "ffmpeg -i *"%P%N*" -vcodec mpeg4 -b 1300k -r 29.97 -acodec libmp3lame -ar 48000 -ab 192k -ac 2 *%P%M.mpg*"" | execute pipe:

Just as easy and actually sligtly better as the usage of %P%M for the output filename avoids the nasty .vob.mpg thing you'd get with your nlist version.
YesCop

Post by YesCop »

Thanks Broadblues
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

And you could probably even do it without the explicit reference to PIPE: if you preferred.

For instance, I often do stuff like this after cd'ing to e.g. Kickstart or LIBS:

Code: Select all

list #? lformat "version %s file full" | execute in:
Best regards,

Niels