Install WHDLoad games under Amiga OS4.1 FE?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Cageman

Install WHDLoad games under Amiga OS4.1 FE?

Post by Cageman »

Hello!

From what I've gathered, I need to boot Workbench 3.1 in order to actually install a WHDLoad game (which is quite in order, since WHDLoad itself will have to be emulated).

Thing is, I have no idea how I can boot Workbench 3.1 under AmigaOS 4.1 FE.

As long as I can boot WB 3.1, I'm fairly sure on what to do (give and take the fact that I stopped using Amigas around 2002-2003 or something like that).

Looking forward to the answer(s).

Cheers!
Raziel

Re: Install WHDLoad games under Amiga OS4.1 FE?

Post by Raziel »

Hey there cageman,

I'm pretty sure everyone is using the awesome RuninUAE by ChrisH nowadays.

Not only can you emulate a mint WB3.1 but you can of course run and play all kinds of installed games, tools and demos, be it directly from ADF/HDD or WHDLoad installed (i'm doing that myself now and again.)

iirc RuninUAE is part of the AmigaOS4.1 install now, so you only have to head into SYS:Emulation/RuninUAE and get started.
If RuninUAE is running it should be as easy as double-clicking on the game's exe or WHDLoad start script...

If you need help, just shout
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Cageman

Post by Cageman »

Hello!

Yes... what you describe works... but... in this case I have a VHDLoad game that needs to be installed, and to do that, I need to install it through WB3.1, no? Because everything related to VHDLoad is emulated, so, in principle, everything I install regarding it should be installed under an emulated WB 3.1 environment. Once that is done, I can use RunInUAE directly from OS4.1 in order to start the game.

So, how do I boot up OS3.1?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

You don't have to boot OS3.1, you have to run "RunInUAE". Once that is running, you have an OS3.1 environment right in front of you and you can issue OS3.1 commands or run OS3.1 programs.
cheers
tony
Cageman

Post by Cageman »

Hello Tony!

That is what I tried. I started RunInUAE and then started the WHDLoad installer for Warlords.

I get this error:

"You must install RawDIC first! It must be accessible via the path. You can find it in the WHDLoad package".

Any ideas?
Cageman

Post by Cageman »

Hello again.

So, I found a workaround for this. I install on my emulated Amiga under Windows, then copy the installed WHDLoad game to my Amiga. That seems to work fairly nicely. :)
jdupuis

Post by jdupuis »

Cageman wrote:Hello again.

So, I found a workaround for this. I install on my emulated Amiga under Windows, then copy the installed WHDLoad game to my Amiga. That seems to work fairly nicely. :)
Hi, Cageman!

Don't forget that you can create a directory for RuninUAE Games. And go here: http://www.whdownload.com/ I have found all of our Amiga favorites there. Amazing!
From your Web Browser On your Amiga: Download it, Unzip it, double click it and play. RunInUAE does the rest. Warlords is there as well. ;)
I haven't had to use Amiga Emulation on a PC yet to get games from this website.

Cheers!!
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE