Debug output around boot time, where from?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
blmara

Debug output around boot time, where from?

Post by blmara »

Hi,

since updating to FE, while booting my X1000 I get extra Sashimi output containing the following lines:

Code: Select all

No SB128 found! :-(
No FM801 found! :-(
No Envy24 found! :-(
Couldn't open Intuition interface!
I suppose this comes from the audio system but could not find the source by search'ing the AHI files. I haven't found a way to suppress these warnings. I have hdaudio 32bit Stereo++ as AHI mode for all units and no Mixer in user-startup, WbStartup or Amidock. Does someone know what to do with this?

Marko
Marko
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Debug output around boot time, where from?

Post by broadblues »

Option 1:
Ignore it it's completely normal.

Option 2:
Remove unused AHI drivers from DEVS:AHI and return to forum in 6 month after you bought a new sound card and it doesn't work.

Option 1 is prefered.
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

A "normal" AHI installation includes all the drivers available in devs:AHI. When AHI is started, it attempts to open each of them. Each driver that does not find matching hardware generally says it did not find hardware matching it's target on exit.
So that would explain most of the output, anyway.

The bit about an intuition interface doesn't look familiar. which might mean It's just too early in the morning.
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

LyleHaze wrote: The bit about an intuition interface doesn't look familiar. which might mean It's just too early in the morning.
Looking through the source code for the AHI drivers the _LibInit() function in the EMU10kx driver is broken. It doesn't initialise the IntuitionBase global so GetInterface() is called with a NULL library base pointer which causes it to fail.
blmara

Post by blmara »

LyleHaze wrote:A "normal" AHI installation includes all the drivers available in devs:AHI. When AHI is started, it attempts to open each of them. Each driver that does not find matching hardware generally says it did not find hardware matching it's target on exit.
So that would explain most of the output, anyway.

The bit about an intuition interface doesn't look familiar. which might mean It's just too early in the morning.
Ok. Because it is a normal situation that (some) audio hardware is not found, maybe there should be no output here unless asked for (my AHI Prefs says "Debug level = None")?

Anyway, thanks for explanation and good that also some hidden interface problem was also found.

Marko
Marko
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

salass00 wrote: Looking through the source code for the AHI drivers the _LibInit() function in the EMU10kx driver is broken. It doesn't initialise the IntuitionBase global so GetInterface() is called with a NULL library base pointer which causes it to fail.
On closer inspection there was nothing wrong at all. "IntuitionBase" is defined as a macro so even though it looks like the code accesses a global variable it in fact does not.

According to grep the only OS components that output a debug message like "Couldn't open Intuition interface!" are the AHI drivers so it might be worth looking through their code if one of them is doing something wrong. The EMU10kx driver turned out to be a false positive though AFAICT.
xenic

Post by xenic »

salass00 wrote:On closer inspection there was nothing wrong at all. "IntuitionBase" is defined as a macro so even though it looks like the code accesses a global variable it in fact does not.

According to grep the only OS components that output a debug message like "Couldn't open Intuition interface!" are the AHI drivers so it might be worth looking through their code if one of them is doing something wrong. The EMU10kx driver turned out to be a false positive though AFAICT.
I only have the AHI drivers for my X1000 internal sound and for an SBLive card installed. I added the drivers back one at a time and the Intuition message is coming from the CS4281 driver; which I believe is the driver for the SAM440 builtin audio. The message would not normally be seen on the SAM (because the driver would always find the builtin audio) and only shows up on other hardware. Since ACUBE would not have seen the message during testing on the SAM, it's probably a fortunate bug that prevents the driver from opening a debugging requester while the system is booting.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

xenic wrote: I only have the AHI drivers for my X1000 internal sound and for an SBLive card installed. I added the drivers back one at a time and the Intuition message is coming from the CS4281 driver; which I believe is the driver for the SAM440 builtin audio. The message would not normally be seen on the SAM (because the driver would always find the builtin audio) and only shows up on other hardware. Since ACUBE would not have seen the message during testing on the SAM, it's probably a fortunate bug that prevents the driver from opening a debugging requester while the system is booting.
The CS4281 code for opening intuition.library and getting it's interface looks perfectly fine to me.

Can you say what the latest public version of the driver is? I'd check this myself but I just turned off my µA1-C for the night...
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

salass00 wrote: The CS4281 code for opening intuition.library and getting it's interface looks perfectly fine to me.

Can you say what the latest public version of the driver is? I'd check this myself but I just turned off my µA1-C for the night...
The public version of the driver which doesn't get the intuition interface correctly is version 5.6.

The code has been fixed in the latest beta version.
xenic

Post by xenic »

salass00 wrote:The public version of the driver which doesn't get the intuition interface correctly is version 5.6.

The code has been fixed in the latest beta version.
Yes. That's the buggy version I have here.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE