AmiPDF error when printer ran out of paper

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

AmiPDF error when printer ran out of paper

Post by Hypex »

Hello.

I was using AmiPDF to print, which transfers control over to Ghostscript of course. But when my printer ran out of paper it halted the whole process and spewed out this:
:
GPL Ghostscript 8.54: error during printing: user cancelled print (error code 1)
Error: /unknownerror in --.outputpage--
Operand stack:
1 true
Execution stack:
%interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- false 1
%
s
to
pped_push 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- 0 5 %oparray_pop --nostringval-- --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
--dict:1122/1686(ro)(G)-- --dict:0/20(G)-- --dict:71/200(L)-- --dict:65/75(L)-- --dict:18/24(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: Function not implemented
GPL Ghostscript 8.54: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
It also prints too slowly. I think Ghostscript is a bit too expensive for an Amiga application.

I also notice that AmiPDF sorely needs an update! The PDF rendering engine is just too old to be useful anymore. I can't pull any PDF off the web anymore without AmiPDF giving tons of errors about it!

And lately it just gives up and quits! :-o
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: AmiPDF error when printer ran out of paper

Post by broadblues »

I've not seen this error and I print a lot of PDF and get out of paper errors, although I use turboprint, that might make a difference. Do you see this with any PDF or just certain PDFs if the latter can you provide a small example to test with?

When "pulling PDF's of the web" make sure the file has completely doenloaded before opening it, especially if you are using OWB! I say this because that's the situation where I see the errors follow by exit condition most often. Most PDF's that I view are still viewable in AmiPDF (although obvious the spec has advanced and support for later versions would be nice)

As to printing PDFs it depends on the source of the PDF but I have found some print very slowly with Ghostscript, but the equivalent ps file prints fast, thus it can be worth converting the pdf to a postscript file before printing! This particularly affects PDFs made from chrome under linux (say of google maps) which I usually transfer to amigaos to print as my linux box resuses to print with my printer (and turboprint is better quality anyway)
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: AmiPDF error when printer ran out of paper

Post by Hypex »

Sorry for my delay. I've only noticed it this time because the printer was out of paper and even though I pressed the continue button it looked like it was too late. I do most of my printing using Wordworth where it has acted like it should AFAIR. And I am uisng a Workbench printer driver.

The file in qustion is here: I went through the PDFs I download and located ones with errors. You make a good point with OWB. Most of time I've had no trouble downloading. But I discovered one non-working PDF was a compressed PDF with a PDF extension! And another PDF AmiPDF didn't like crashed the DOpus viewer! :-o That was even after I copied to RAM.

These cause trouble:
http://www.telstra.com.au/my-offer-summ ... -cable.pdf
http://www.commbank.com.au/business/pds ... 0608_3.pdf
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/abs-guide.pdf

Thanks for the tip about PS. :-)