Mixer/Mixer.docky BETA supporting hdaudio V6.22

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Mixer/Mixer.docky BETA supporting hdaudio V6.22

Post by javierdlr »

Hi, I'm the maintainer of Mixer (and Mixer.docky) with latest hdaudio V6.22, now is possible to use Mixer to control volume :-)
http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?p=1136

Here is the link to Mixer.docky (drag&drop to your AmiDock bar) and it should work to colntrol your hdaudio volume. Any suggestion/bug/problem fell free to contact ME (jabierdlrATgmailDOT.com)
Mixer DOCKY:http://jabirulo.site90.com/temp/Mixer_dockyBETA4.7z
Mixer V1.40:http://jabirulo.site90.com/temp/MixerV140BETA3.7z

BIG THX to Lyle and Alex to make this happen!!!!
Last edited by javierdlr on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Mixer.docky BETA supporting hdaudio V6.22

Post by sundown »

javierdlr wrote:Hi, I'm the maintainer of Mixer (and Mixer.docky) with latest hdaudio V6.22, now is possible to use Mixer to control volume :-)

BIG THX to Layle and Alex to make this happen!!!!
Very nice, but you need to change "Layle" to "Lyle" in the last line.
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
blmara

Post by blmara »

The mixer.docky gives at startup and reboots 'needs hdaudio.device 6.22' message and doesn't work in my X1000, at least. I'm not sure what is hdaudio.device, but the following I have got with AmiUpdate:

7.System:> version devs:AHI/hdaudio.audio full
hdaudio.audio 6.22 (17.6.14)
7.System:>
Marko
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

blmara wrote:The mixer.docky gives at startup and reboots 'needs hdaudio.device 6.22' message and doesn't work in my X1000, at least. I'm not sure what is hdaudio.device, but the following I have got with AmiUpdate:

7.System:> version devs:AHI/hdaudio.audio full
hdaudio.audio 6.22 (17.6.14)
7.System:>
I have the v6.22 of the hdaudio device installed and I also got the same error message when I first added the Mixer_docky to the dock but, the the Mixer_docky itself still works fine and I can adjust the volume of applications that are running.

One minor comment, if I turn OFF the audio using Mixer, I can't turn it ON again until I shutdown the program (or programs) that were using Audio at the time I switched it OFF. I presume this is related to the little snag that Lyle talked about in his blog?

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
ktadd

Post by ktadd »

The new driver for the X1000 sound card is great as well as the new mixer and mixer Dockey.
Thanks to Lyle and javierdlr for the great work!

I have found a couple of issues with the beta version of mixer and mixer Dockey.

Mixer:
I don't seem to be able to set the mixer program to start up defaulted to the X1000 setting.
I start it and it defaults to CMI8738. I then change the setting to X1000 and save the settings
but after I reboot it's set back to CMI8738 again. The setting does not seem to be saved in
the preferences. This means that the master volume AREXX commands I have assigned to
keys on my keyboard don't change the volume because it's changing the volume of the CMI8738
card. I have to start mixer and change the setting to get the volume keys to work. I'm guessing if I
take out the sound card I won't have this problem but it seems to me the selection should be saved
in the preferences anyway.

Mixer Dockey:
Aside from the 'needs hdaudio.device 6.22' message at startup as aleady mentioned I ran across a couple
more issues. One is a "Don't do that" kind of issue but I thought I would mention it anyway.

First issue:
If I activate the "DOCKY_1CLICK=YES" tooltype the first time I single click on the docky it opens just fine, as
expected, but after that it takes three clicks to open it.

Second issue:
I have placed Mixer Docky in my dock. If I click it so the volume control is displayed, then I double click on the
Mixer Docky Icon it will cause a Guru. I know...a silly thing to due but hey, I'm a software QA engineer in real life
so I try silly things. :)

Fix the two important issues and I'll be able to free up my PCI slot by removing the sound card. :)

Again, nice work guys!
Kevin - X1000 first contact / uA1
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

Hello Javier,
I still send you this issue by mail but as a remainder :

I use Mixer NON docky version with new hdaudio. It works well.

At boot, the volume is ok, but as soon that I press a key (via allkeys, MASTERUP or DOWN via ARexx) to modify the volume, Mixer lower the volume at maximum (muted)

To reproduce :
1) Add Mixer in WBStartup prefs + reboot
2) start AAmp (me started from aTunes) and the music is played normally, good
volume
3) hit "+" or "-" key and then the volume is lowered (muted)
4) hit "+" many times and it's OK again.

Is another x1000 user encounters this problem ?

Thank you
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

@sundown: Ooops, THX will be fixed on next BETA.

@trevordick: The "error" message is debug output I forget to remove, fixed on next BETA.
"turn OFF" do you mean to MUTE sound? IIRC is a not finished mixer+hdaudio feature. :-/

@blmara: (error message see above answer). hdaudio.device is X1000's motherboard audiochip/sound. Niether Mixer niether Mixer.docky works for you? :-(

@ktadd:
-Mixer: it's planed, like in Mixer.docky to add SOUNDCARD tooltype. Please send/post ENVARC:Mixer.prefs, it should have detected soundcard/chip prefs saved; working on it, alas I use SAM460 with internal sound, just created as DUMMY soundcard in case 2 soundcards are detected and trying to adapt code. IIRC there is an ARexx command to change soundcard:
Other arexx commands:
---------------------
QUERYCARDS - Ask what cards the Mixer currently has access to. RC will be 1 if no recognized cards are present.
RC will be 0 and RESULT will be a space separated string containing the driver names of the installed cards.

SETCARD - Change to another card if you have more than one installed. Template: "CARD/N/A"
CARD is a number ranging from 0 to the number of names QUERYCARDS returned minus 1. If you like to use your
second card in the QUERYCARDS string, set CARD = 1. If the card # is not valid, RC will equal 1.
-Mixer Dockey: answered above.
-First/Second issue: will look at them ASAP. thx.

@zzd10h: yes, you're right, better post/say it here, hope someone ("Layle") can answer here.
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

zzd10h wrote:....
At boot, the volume is ok, but as soon that I press a key (via allkeys, MASTERUP or DOWN via ARexx) to modify the volume, Mixer lower the volume at maximum (muted)

To reproduce :
1) Add Mixer in WBStartup prefs + reboot
2) start AAmp (me started from aTunes) and the music is played normally, good
volume
3) hit "+" or "-" key and then the volume is lowered (muted)
4) hit "+" many times and it's OK again.

Is another x1000 user encounters this problem ?

Thank you
I can take a fair guess at the cause of this..
The HDAudio driver defaults to full volume on startup.
There is no way for the Mixer to read the current volume from the Driver (this is because it's a non-standard control path).

So on startup, the mixer has no idea where the volume is set.

If the mixer assumes that the volume starts at Zero(Mute) then it would act exactly like you described.
If the mixer assumed that the volume started at full volume, things would probably be much better.

It's just a suggestion.. but that's where I would look first.
:)

NOTE WELL:
The practice of using mixer to "init" the card from user-startup would probably cause bad things to happen.
The control path we are using for the mixer may not work well before AHI has started pushing audio.
Test that if you'd like, report back here if you want to share your findings..
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

"If the mixer assumes that the volume starts at Zero(Mute) then it would act exactly like you described."

It could be that. I removed Mixer from WBStartup and rerun my test (after a reboot).

1) open APPDIR:MIXER (I will not use Arexx MasterUp/ Masterdown)
2) open a song with AAmp Tunenet or a video with MPlayer
3) all is fine, sound is OK
4) as soon as I move the master volume in Mixer GUI, sound is muted
5) If I close/reopen AAmp, Tunenet or MPlayer volume recomes OK
6) it remutes as soon as I move the master slider.

Is anybody have the same problem ?

edit : of course before that you release hdaudio 6.22 + mixer, I used a SoundBlaster with Mixer (until 1 day ago) without this problem.
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
blmara

Post by blmara »

javierdlr wrote:@sundown: Ooops, THX will be fixed on next BETA.

@trevordick: The "error" message is debug output I forget to remove, fixed on next BETA.
"turn OFF" do you mean to MUTE sound? IIRC is a not finished mixer+hdaudio feature. :-/

@blmara: (error message see above answer). hdaudio.device is X1000's motherboard audiochip/sound. Niether Mixer niether Mixer.docky works for you? :-(
Ok, I thought that was an error message. With the first part of my message I meant: is there a 'hdaudio.device' or just the hdaudio.audio driver, I didn't find the former in my X1000.

I continued testing mixer.docky and it seems to work quite fine. The fade is quite efficient, at about 30% volume no sound is audible anymore,is this normal? Used TuneNet to play a MP3 file which seems to have normal volumes shown by the 'Tune' tab meters.

Marko
Marko