X1000 Cell Battery

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

X1000 Cell Battery

Post by sundown »

No known issue with it yet, but was wondering what to expect if it dies or is removed. Will we lose the CFE variables where the system is un-bootable? Maybe a question for Varisys.

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: X1000 Cell Battery

Post by LyleHaze »

I am not an employee of Varisys, but page 12 of the tech ref manual says that the battery is for "Real Time Clock and non-volatile CMOS Memory". There's also a jumper for clearing the memory..
Based on that, I'd say that we will lose data if the battery is gone for long.

I welcome corrections if I got anything wrong.

[edit]
I wonder if saving the output of "c:nvgetvar" will give us everything we need for a restore?
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

LyleHaze wrote:I am not an employee of Varisys, but page 12 of the tech ref manual says that the battery is for "Real Time Clock and non-volatile CMOS Memory". There's also a jumper for clearing the memory..
Based on that, I'd say that we will lose data if the battery is gone for long.

I welcome corrections if I got anything wrong.

[edit]
I wonder if saving the output of "c:nvgetvar" will give us everything we need for a restore?
In the Firmware and Booting Guide on page 14, chapter 6 is the "default CFE configuration" printed.
So it should be easy to type these few commands after an emergency...at least it will get you up and running again
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

Can I suggest we ask Steven Solie, who has just changed the cell battery on his AmigaONE X1000. ;-)

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

LyleHaze wrote:I wonder if saving the output of "c:nvgetvar" will give us everything we need for a restore?
It should, as far as I can see. Although I'd suggest printing it, not just saving it - if you need it, you probably won't be able to get at it on the HD (at least unless you save it on a different machine).

Best regards,

Niels
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

trevordick wrote:Can I suggest we ask Steven Solie, who has just changed the cell battery on his AmigaONE X1000. ;-)

Trevor
Did he really have to send it to an auto repair shop for that job? Or is that just a nasty rumour?
cheers
tony
Severin
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Severin »

I changed my battery today as I'd been having similar problems so ssolie (not starting, just a dead blank screen cured by switching off the PSU for a few seconds, also CFE reboot loops.

The battery was out for under 10 seconds andI didn't loose any settings.

The only problem I had was a CFE error saying it couldn't load amigaboot.of due to insufficient memory. I popped out the ram modult which had a layer of dust on it from the cpu fan. cleaned it up and cleaned out the socket with a brush, same problem, tried it in the other side socket, same problem. I eventually tracked down the problem...

CFE LIES... it wasn't memory, I'd knocked the power lead out of the harddrive when changing the battery. Now all is well and the system seems to be booting better.
Severin
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Severin »

tonyw wrote:Did he really have to send it to an auto repair shop for that job? Or is that just a nasty rumour?
Yes he did take it in for repair (I met him the after he took it to amigakit), it was thought to be a problem with the CPU mount but turned out to be the bettery which is good news for all of us.
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

yes

CFE just says things like that when it cant execute something I guess
it was decided that was better than what?

My last X1000 system was set up for a first contact user and as such
doesnt expect my compact flash card so I always get that type of error
before I type the correct

boot -fatfs cf0:amigaboot.of

sometimes I typo and leave off the end f I get the same error message

my logic behind not changing it is so I remember how to navigate CFE

its nice to know what to type for debugging etc

of course thats just me
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

Severin wrote:Yes he did take it in for repair (I met him the after he took it to amigakit), it was thought to be a problem with the CPU mount but turned out to be the bettery which is good news for all of us.
Thank goodness it was something much simpler. An entry has already been added to the wiki so others don't have to suffer.

On a somewhat related topic, I was working on Timberwolf last night via Ubuntu on the X1000. A HUGE THANKS to our local Linux experts for making Ubuntu "just work" so I can focus on Timberwolf. Kudos! I have the code and I was just finishing up the cross-compiler dev environment. I plan to send out a binary release once I get it all working to establish a baseline. Then we can add some 3rd party devs to the team and get moving again. I'll blog when the time is right.
ExecSG Team Lead