RAD device not working on X1000

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
jaokim
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

RAD device not working on X1000

Post by jaokim »

I can't get the RAD device to work on my X1000. It has worked perfectly on my XE with update 6.

To reproduce:
1. Move RAD from SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers to SYS:Devs/DOSDrivers
2. Double click RAD
3. You should get a RAM_O disk on Workbench
4. Create a file in notepad and save to RAM_0:
5. Soft reboot

If it works, you should have your file still in RAM_0:, but my RAM_0: is empty.
zzd10h

Re: RAD device not working on X1000

Post by zzd10h »

You are right, it doesn't work for me too on my X1000 (AOS4.1.6).

I remember that it worked fine on my old Pegasos2 (AOS4.1.5)
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
xenic

Post by xenic »

jaokim wrote:I can't get the RAD device to work on my X1000. It has worked perfectly on my XE with update 6.
Yes, it appears that the RAD device is just a size limited ram: drive on the X1000. I think the problem needs to be added to the bug tracking and hopefully fixed.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

This is a known issue in bugzilla, I've filed a report previously, I will add some more comments though

If I may ask, to what end are you wishing to utilise RAD, precaution to autosave instead of HD? or is it more a case of testing the waters :geek:
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
jaokim
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by jaokim »

I made a menu item in Cubic, "Save session and restart", which saves my session to rad: and reboots (for those rare times when I program badly ;) ). Upon boot I check if a cubic session file exists in rad: and if so automatically starts Cubic. From a cold boot, Cubic isn't started since the file doesn't exist.
I think its kind of neat.
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

If you want this automated then I think it happens more often than not ;)

But it is indeed splendid when we think something through and think that's cool and then able to accomplish/implement it!
xenic

Post by xenic »

Slayer wrote:This is a known issue in bugzilla, I've filed a report previously, I will add some more comments though

If I may ask, to what end are you wishing to utilise RAD, precaution to autosave instead of HD? or is it more a case of testing the waters :geek:
There was a big speed advantage to using RAD: on OS3 but not so much on OS4. However, if it works on all other OS4 hardware, it should work on an X1000; otherwise it should be eliminated altogether. If I have some system set up on my SAM Flex like joikim is using , I expect it to work the same on my X1000.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

xenic wrote:There was a big speed advantage to using RAD: on OS3 but not so much on OS4. However, if it works on all other OS4 hardware, it should work on an X1000; otherwise it should be eliminated altogether. If I have some system set up on my SAM Flex like joikim is using , I expect it to work the same on my X1000.
Just a note regarding expectations. The X1000 release is still in the beta stage. Not everything will work or should be expected to work. That is why it is still called a "First Contact" system and that is also why critical drivers (e.g. sound & ethernet) are still missing. In contrast, the Sam systems are not in beta so everything should work.

Once the X1000 platform has been declared "final" you can expect everything to work as advertised.
ExecSG Team Lead
xenic

Post by xenic »

ssolie wrote: Just a note regarding expectations. The X1000 release is still in the beta stage. Not everything will work or should be expected to work. That is why it is still called a "First Contact" system and that is also why critical drivers (e.g. sound & ethernet) are still missing. In contrast, the Sam systems are not in beta so everything should work.

Once the X1000 platform has been declared "final" you can expect everything to work as advertised.
When Slayer asked what joakim was using RAD: for, I thought he might be attempting to justify ignoring the problem because RAD: wasn't being used or is no longer useful. Whether it's useful or not, it should work or not work on all OS4 hardware. Thanks for clearing up the "First Contact" concept. I thought that only applied to the first batch of X1000's that were offered but apparently I was wrong. That's O.K. because I know people would get impatient and lose interest if we had to wait until new stuff was "100%" finished. When I (we) report problems it's because I just don't want it overlooked, not necessarily that I expect it to already be fixed or functioning.
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

That's one way of looking at it I suppose but I was interested on a more personal level since I haven't used RAD at all since I moved to AmigaOS4.x

I used to use RAD extensively in the earlier days even on my A4000 PPC, I had shell scripts that would write renamed adfs to RAD volumes which were called DAD BAD MAD AAD etc... mostly to assist in installation of multi disk applications and the odd game

So yes, I used RAD alot but no more (so far)

The use jaokim has discovered for RAD is quite nifty I thought

As part of my "on the spot" investigations I tested RAD on the Sam Flex which functioned correctly