Serial debug, how to ?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
zzd10h

Re: Serial debug, how to ?

Post by zzd10h »

In term 3.8 I can't enter any character.
When I press keys on my keyboard, no character are displayed on Term...

I will take this adapter (french web paga ,) ).
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

zzd10h wrote:When I press keys on my keyboard, no character are displayed on Term...
I'm not really up on serial terminals at this time and I don't have a way to test this for you, but it may be that the setup you are using only puts the typed characters on the screen when they are echoed back from what ever the equipment your cable is properly attached to. No connection, no echo.

Could somebody please comment on this(??)

EDIT:
P.S. To those in the know.
If the terminal program needs the characters echoed back to the screen, is it possible to connect Tx to Rx (pin2 to pin3) and use it to test each computer individually?

Perhaps a resistor or voice coil as a jumper?
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

zzd10h wrote:In term 3.8 I can't enter any character.
When I press keys on my keyboard, no character are displayed on Term...
That is correct. In your configuration "Local Echo" is turned off.
So when you type, it SHOULD show up on the OTHER computer.
mechanic wrote: is it possible to connect Tx to Rx (pin2 to pin3) and use it to test each computer individually?
Yes, and that is a great way to test it.
Since the female DB9 connector pins are so small, I usually use a paper-clip between pins 2 and 3.
With that in place, you'll get "local echo" with every character. This will tell you that your serial port and
cable are good, but it will NOT tell you if it is a null modem cable or not, and that is what we really need to know.
xenic

Post by xenic »

LyleHaze wrote:
This is a bit confusing. It sounds like you don't think a NULL cable is needed when connecting to a USB to serial converter. You DO need a null modem cable in any case.

A USB to Serial adapter creates a standard serial port on the receiving computer.

The RS232 breakout from AmigaKit creates a standard serial port on the X1000.

To connect a standard serial port to a standard serial port, you must use a NULL modem cable, or a regular serial cable with a NULL modem adapter on it.

At least this demonstrates the advantage of testing using a terminal program at both ends. Much easier to confirm the serial link first before going on to debug setup.
Maybe you're right. I was thinking about it in terms of an adapter designed to connect from a serial port to a USB device. However, after more reading about these USB adapters it looks like they are designed to connect a computer USB port to a serial device like an RS232 serial modem. In that case, you are probably right; a null modem adapter or cable would be required to connect a computer serial port to a USB port with such an adapter.

Sorry about adding to the confusion.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

I will receive the null modem adapter during the week and will post the results.
Thank you
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

xenic wrote: Sorry about adding to the confusion.
As you should be. That's the private domain of my wife. :roll:
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
kicko

Post by kicko »

If i understand right to be able to see any debug from x1000 to puTTY (on windows) the x1000 have to set debug in the menu. Or do x1000 always send debug data to the serial port ? (i bought mine with serial port)
abalaban
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by abalaban »

zzd10h wrote:I will receive the null modem adapter during the week and will post the results.
Thank you
Feel free to ask if you want help on debuging your X1000 I do it all the time for betatesting AmigaOS 4 on my X1000 ;-)
kicko wrote:If i understand right to be able to see any debug from x1000 to puTTY (on windows) the x1000 have to set debug in the menu. Or do x1000 always send debug data to the serial port ? (i bought mine with serial port)
That depends on what you want to debug. If you want to debug third party application you don't need anything (except telling AmigaOS to use the serial port instead of the memory buffer for its debug logs, that is done by adding the keyword 'serial' to the os4_commandline firmware variable).
If you want to debug the OS itself then yes you have to also set the debug level.
See Debug Kernel in the official wiki for more information.
AmigaOne X1000 running AOS 4 beta
AmigaOne XE/G4
Amiga 1200/PPC 603e + BVision PPC
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

Very great !!!

I receive my NULL modem adapter (M/F) and all works (Boot debug, Term 3.8 character send and kprintf debug).

Now is my connection like that
X1000 serial port male -> adapter NULL modem female/male -> RS232 wire female/female -> adapter RS232 male / USB -> iMac USB with CoolTerm.

Kicko, just to confirm,
-Boot debug works without parameter.
-Program debugging (like Sashimi) works with CFE parameter
setenv os4_commandline "SERIAL"

Following 2 pictures of Boot_debug and of my NetDock docky.

http://zzd10h.amiga-ng.org/Divers/Boot_X1000.jpg

http://zzd10h.amiga-ng.org/Divers/Debug_X1000.jpg

Thank all for your help.
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

kicko wrote:If i understand right to be able to see any debug from x1000 to puTTY (on windows) the x1000 have to set debug in the menu. Or do x1000 always send debug data to the serial port ? (i bought mine with serial port)
No, the X1000 outputs loads of debug information during initial boot, if you look at this picture posted by zzd10h, the top line appears the instant you turn the machine on, followed by the rest over the next couple of seconds (before the A-Eon screen appears)
Following 2 pictures of Boot_debug and of my NetDock docky.

http://zzd10h.amiga-ng.org/Divers/Boot_X1000.jpg
You should be seeing this if your machine is OK.

Regards
Darren