Problems with 256 MB ZorRam

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Mika

Post by Mika »

Hi,

I'm having problems with my ZorRam 256 MB, my computer is an Amiga with Mediator 4000D-Board in a PC Tower!

I pick out something in the FAQ is indeed one of the three jumpers Winzise, Master and Swap config should close!

My Radeon 9200 runs natively on OS4.1 and now displays correctly.

When I close the swap jumpers start my computer, my Amiga monitor displays only a yellow screen!

If I swap the jumper and then leave open the ZorRam install (no matter which slot) is shown to me on my Amiga monitor that the card is defective, the setting for the Voodoo 3000 is the ZorRam not appear to be defective!

What do I do wrong again?

Yours sincerely,

Mika
AmigaOne G4, 1,266 Ghz und Amiga 4000D mit OS 4.1 Classic
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Problems with 256 MB ZorRam

Post by DarrenHD »

Mika wrote:Problems with 256 MB ZorRam

Hi,

I'm having problems with my ZorRam 256 MB, my computer is an Amiga with Mediator 4000D-Board in a PC Tower!

I pick out something in the FAQ is indeed one of the three jumpers Winzise, Master and Swap config should close!

My Radeon 9200 runs natively on OS4.1 and now displays correctly.

When I close the swap jumpers start my computer, my Amiga monitor displays only a yellow screen!

If I swap the jumper and then leave open the ZorRam install (no matter which slot) is shown to me on my Amiga monitor that the card is defective, the setting for the Voodoo 3000 is the ZorRam not appear to be defective!

What do I do wrong again?

Yours sincerely,

Mika
Hi Mika, it is most likely an Amiga auto-config error. The AmigaOS 3.x ROM has some trouble auto-configing large cards such as the 512MB Mediator and 256MB ZorRAM. It may be that the yellow screen happens only sometimes. Moving the ZorRAM to another Zorro slot may help. Some early ZorRAM cards also had different firmware - you are best to ask for support at E3B.de or AmigaKit for ZorRAM specific auto-config problems.

Darren
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
Mika

Post by Mika »

So I was on a computer at the weekend meeting because we have changed some of the DENEB, and whether the ZorRam is ok!

Since I've expanded the HIGHWAY, and the lower slot ZorRam in my Amiga 4000 goes high normal, unfortunately my ZorRam does not appear in the workbench surface?

Is there even a hint?

Yours sincerely,

Mika (Germany)
JurassicC
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JurassicC »

The Zorram memory will not appear as FAST RAM on the A4000. It will only be used as a paging device when the 128MB of FAST RAM on the Cyberstorm has been exhausted.
AT A1200T 66MHz 060 330MHz 603e Mediator TX OS 4.1 Beta
X1000 OS4.1 Beta, X5020 OS4.1 Beta, A1XE OS4.1 Beta
AT A1200 68030 ACA1232, C= A1200 Typhoon MK2 68030
CD32 TF330 / CDTV 3.1 SCSI2SD 8MB FAST RAM / CD32 FMV
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

Mika wrote:So I was on a computer at the weekend meeting because we have changed some of the DENEB, and whether the ZorRam is ok!

Since I've expanded the HIGHWAY, and the lower slot ZorRam in my Amiga 4000 goes high normal, unfortunately my ZorRam does not appear in the workbench surface?

Is there even a hint?

Yours sincerely,

Mika (Germany)
If you type memstat in a shell you will be able to see the paging devices that are configured. If the AmigaOS 4.1 kernel has found your ZorRAM then it will be listed by the memstat command.

You can also test by copying more than 128MB of files to RAM:, then run memstat again and you will see your ZorRAM being used.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
Mika

Post by Mika »

DarrenHD wrote:
If you type memstat in a shell you will be able to see the paging devices that are configured. If the AmigaOS 4.1 kernel has found your ZorRAM then it will be listed by the memstat command.

You can also test by copying more than 128MB of files to RAM:, then run memstat again and you will see your ZorRAM being used.
Thanks for the tip!

Attached two pictures, with the data from the shell I can not begin, but I'm too stupid.

My memory is full at 436 MB!

128 MB on the Cyberstorm PPC
256 MB on the ZorRam

but give 384 MB of how to do it, or have I not learned in school really count?

Is there a trick to the right size can be displayed in the title bar?

Yours sincerely,

Mika (Germany)
Attachments
DVCI1891.JPG
(90.77 KiB) Downloaded 2267 times
DVCI1887.JPG
DVCI1887.JPG (102.88 KiB) Viewed 13755 times
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

Mika wrote:
DarrenHD wrote:

Thanks for the tip!

Attached two pictures, with the data from the shell I can not begin, but I'm too stupid.

My memory is full at 436 MB!

128 MB on the Cyberstorm PPC
256 MB on the ZorRam

but give 384 MB of how to do it, or have I not learned in school really count?

Is there a trick to the right size can be displayed in the title bar?

Yours sincerely,

Mika (Germany)
From your screenshot it seems that the kernel is not detecting the ZorRAM...I only see scsi.device listed, not the ZorRAM. There is no way to add the additional memory to show on the Workbench title bar because it's not added as memory but as swap "memory", which is treated differently by the kernel.

But the question is...why isn't your ZorRAM showing up? Does it show up in early startup?

Here is a screenshot of mine showing two zorRAM's, one 128MB and one 256MB. The kernel should automatically detect them and list them with the memstat command.

Darren
Attachments
ZorRAM
ZorRAM
zorram.png (134.83 KiB) Viewed 13750 times
Mika

Post by Mika »

I hope that I have understood you correctly, I've done times two photographs, one on my Amiga monitor, the other on a TFT monitor!

Do I need to maybe change that kick in the layout, I've installed the ZorRam only and does not change any settings!

The ZorRam is definitely in order, we had tested over the weekend in another Amiga 4000!

I am at my end Amiga know, I'm probably too stupid for Amiga OS 4.1 Classic.

Yours sincerely,

Mika (Germany)
Attachments
DVCI1892.JPG
DVCI1892.JPG (124.58 KiB) Viewed 13743 times
DVCI1893.JPG
DVCI1893.JPG (67.45 KiB) Viewed 13743 times
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

MIka, is there any way you can get me debug output? If you set the debug output to level 5 I should be able to see what is happening.

edit your startup-sequence and change the bootloader line to:

c:bootloader COMMANDLINE="debuglevel=5".

cold boot
after booting go to a shell and type:

dumpdebugbuffer >ram:debug.txt
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

Mika wrote:Problems with 256 MB ZorRam

Mika
Hi again, can you list again for me all the cards you have in your computer?

Mediator with: Radeon and what else?
Deneb?
ZorRAM?

Can you also open up the Ranger utility and tell me what memory ranges the Radeon card is using? A screenshot would be nice.

I have ALL the jumpers closed on my Mediator, including SWAP config and WinSize...

Darren