How does dual monitor word on X1000

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

How does dual monitor word on X1000

Post by amigasociety »

I understand dual monitor on Amiga is not like extended desktop on a Mac.

So, how does dual monitor work on X1000?

Does the cursor move from on display to other by moving to an edge of 1st screen?

Just want to understand how you navigate on both screens since it does not act as extended screen.

Tj
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Severin
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: How does dual monitor word on X1000

Post by Severin »

I've never tried it but you could probably use something like http://www.os4depot.net/share/utility/w ... switch.lha to do what you want.
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

amigasociety wrote:I understand dual monitor on Amiga is not like extended desktop on a Mac.

So, how does dual monitor work on X1000?

Does the cursor move from on display to other by moving to an edge of 1st screen?

Just want to understand how you navigate on both screens since it does not act as extended screen.

Tj
The dual monitor set-up is treated like any other Amiga screen/display. Use the Amiga M/AmigaN switch displays/screens.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

trevordick wrote:The dual monitor set-up is treated like any other Amiga screen/display. Use the Amiga M/AmigaN switch displays/screens.
As TJ is relatively new to the Amiga, let me elaborate to say that this is the Left Amiga key plus M/N. Or you can use the screen to front/back gadget in the upper right corner (or the DepthToFront commodity).

Best regards,

Niels
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

So explain a little more so I get the process.

Say I have two monitors connected to my X1000, main screen has workbench and a 2nd drag down window in action, then monitor #2 has an application running on it plus a 2nd drag down window (I take it that can happen), and to access monitor #2 so the active cursor is on that screen, I do an Amiga N? Then to get the active cursor back to monitor 1, I do an Amiga M again?

Just do this to toggle between windows?

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

Hey, TJ!

Left-Amiga + M flips through each open screen in order. It doesn't matter what display each screen is on. Each time you do this key combination you are taken to a new screen among the open screens. Clicking with the mouse on the gadget at the top right of screens will do the same thing.

Left-Amiga + N always takes you back to the Workbench screen.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

@amigasociety
AmigaOS does not fully support multiple screens, at least not like how Windows/Mac/etc do. So although you can use multiple screens, switching the mouse pointer between multiple screens requires that you tell AmigaOS you want to change the active screen (either by clicking on the Screen's "depth gadget" in the top right corner, or otherwise by pressing Left Amiga M).
Deniil

Post by Deniil »

Like Severin mentioned, there are commodties that will perform an automatic screen switch(LAmiga+M) when the mouse gets close to one edge of one screen.

The part that requires some configuration is to decide what apps should go on what monitor. You cannot just drag apps over (unless there's a commodity for that as well?) Each monitor will have its own set of screen modes, and you need to explicitly configure different apps (like Workbench, OWB, DirOpus, whatever) to be on a particular sceen (the software display entity) connected to one specific monitor (the physical device). Some apps can be told to open on the frontmost/active screen. That would be ideal I guess.

There is also a program that creates a second "workbench" screen on OS4Depot. This allows you to have the real workbench on one screen and the fake workbench on the other screen and then have some apps open on the real workbench and some on the fake one. Personally I typically use two screens at the same time: Workbench and DirOpus. For me it would be ideal to have DirOpus on a second monitor, but since I don't have a second gfx-card I have to switch between the screens on the same monitor like normal people :-)
Severin
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Severin »

ok, I now have a dual monitor setup and have written a couple of programs to make handling it easier, the problem is they're 68k (written in amiblitz).

If anyone wants them PM me and I give a url where you can download them.

They are:

SwapMonitor: just switches between gfx cards.
SwapScreen: cycles through the screens on the gfx card it was called from.

@Denill or anyone else

Would you be interested in porting them to C? they're very simple, only about 2k of code each. Source is included in the archive.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

Severin wrote:Would you be interested in porting them to C? they're very simple, only about 2k of code each. Source is included in the archive.
Sounds like a couple of commodities we might add to the OS... ;)
ExecSG Team Lead