System (sam440flex) and Installation logging

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Belxjander

System (sam440flex) and Installation logging

Post by Belxjander »

Okay... the base setup is this...

Viewsonic 1920x1080 Monitor with Buffalo Japanese Wireless Keyboard and mouse set,
sam440flex Motherboard,
PCI Radeon 9250 Graphics card (Purchased with the machine)
1x 160GB Primary Harddisk ( Formatted with 2x2GB Workbench partitions + 1x4GB Linux partition + 1x60GB Work and ~?GB Workspace partitions)
FileSystems are SFS/02, SFS/02, ext2fs(currently not yet formatted), SFS/02 and JXFS,
Name Schema is "Belxjander", "Reservation", "boot", "Work" and "Workspace"
I installed from the CD's onto the "Reservation" partition initially but hand-copied files into a Workbench 3.x style Layout on the "Belxjander" partition
(I have two copies of Workbench present at all times in this manner)...
Booting with either of "Belxjander" or "Reservation" shows two major faults after initial installation,
the Installers for Update3 and Update4 both fail to run individually at any time
(unclear exactly why... but I will be retrying by reformatting "Reservation" as SFS/0 and re-trying from the start once again)

1x500GB Secondary Harddisk (currently PC-MBR prepared and has Linux +Windows 7 Enterprise installed and boot-able on it)
FileSystems are ReiserFileSystem and NTFileSystem (RFS/3 for Linux obviously and is the only partition with data to be kept... the NTFS partition will die)
Name Schema is "smgl" and "Wintendo" at this time and this will change.
"Wintendo" is scheduled for deletion, and "smgl" for partition-schema conversion (I will be getting the MountDOS program originally written in E, (the port doesn't accept arguments for me) and use that to create a DOSdriver before rebuilding the partition schema from PC-MBR to RDB for use on the 440flex

I'll perform the conversion as natively in AmigaOS 4.x as I can get away with and only the reiserfstools themselves may need to be ported to AmigaOS 4.x first

--EDIT-- Additional Information --

Reservation has been cleared subsequent to the above happening, and DOpus5 and any other "680x0" native program files have been installed there
Additionally I have been using the "Comment" field about files installed to indicate what package they were installed with and what program type they are
"hunk;Aladdin4D;" for the dctv.library in LIBS: for example,
"ELF;Belxjander;" for Operating System files I have hand-installed from the OS disc and update archives (the system layout has also been changed),
I have re-created the "Sys:WBstartup" folder with Commodities being placed into it and re-configured everything in the WBstartup Preferences tool to run from there,
I have replaced "Expansion" with "Emulation" and have WBstartup Prefs System Extension Tools Devs Emulation and Storage folders displayed in the main Partition with all other folders non-displaying,

I have also redone a "Sys:Rexx" tree with "REXX:" Assigned to it seperate from S: which I find mainly used for "Scripted Settings" for various programs,
with a "REXX:C" folder containing the Rexx programs that were in C:
I have also done the same to python excepting the SObjs:libpython25.so file (which remains in "Sys:SObjs")

Python before and after this change remained non-functional either with showing the grimreaper or not allowing execution of anything at all...
maybe my installation is broken for this particular scripting language?

I downloaded and tried to install "TimberWolf" and this has consistently not shown me anything of a UI at all triggering the Grim Reaper with an ISI
(I have saved *ALL* the CrashLogs concerned with TimberWolf for Mr. & Mr. Freiden when I can next upload them to an online storage account
(Amazon/Google/Dropbox/box.net or somewhere else I have room, I have *LOTS* of material backed up on those currently...)
I will also be posting the link for CrashLogs on these forums on a per-program basis for the developers to have a specific archive of results to check).

--EDIT-- Re-Installation re-attempted,

Installed from AmigaOS 4.1 Update 1 CD to "Reservation" partition after changing to FFS with International support,

Installed from CD, rebooted, booted from the Update1 installation, Ran Update 2, this completed successfully
(at this point I tested python and was met with a grim reaper message)

Update 2 applied and running *any* python after that point just showed the grim reaper,
Update 3 is using a contained 0x7FELF signed binary installer (freshly downloaded archive, compares 100% identical to prior download while in NZ)
Update 4 was not attempted.

Blank-slate with the "customized" installation boot-disabled and booting entirely from CD initially, python remained non-functional,

rebooting to my customized system was no change (tried installing the update 2 python to that and the same error was met)

--EDIT-- 2nd of July 2012 --

I finally managed to run a full set of Updates (2 through 4) as a complete run!... I needed to delete the content from a prepared filesystem created by AmigaOS 3.x on a USB drive that was RDB prepped as FastFileSystem FFS/03 (International Mode Only)

ALONG WITH "Locale" being set for *American* defaults, running the Installer with "Japan" as the country appears to trigger something somewhere (I'm going to try and track down more specifics with the updater)... but I skipped updating the Languages and Locale material and they all worked...

maybe I need to get a complete and encoded "Japanese.Language" installed for locale.library to properly handle at least one of the Japanese encodings for python and timberwolf to properly work? (the block size on the USB stick was also set to 2048bytes not 512Bytes per block...as an extra detail)

the stick was prepared a long time ago and used for setting up AMIthlon inside QEMU (I intend to play with that again soon anyway)

I also noticed during installation... python itself IS Japanese aware but the rest of the OS is not ( ISO-2022-JP and EUC-JP support modules are in the Python install)

I don't know how "complete" that is... but the rest of the OS supporting ISO-2022-JP and EUC-JP would definitely help me with things (does the "Japan" country setting require "Japanese.Language" or does the .country file require rebuilding as well?)
Last edited by Belxjander on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spectre660

Re: Belxjander - System (sam440flex) and Installation loggin

Post by Spectre660 »

You forgot the very important detail about your CD/DVD drive.
Did this come with the computer or did you install one of your own. ?
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Belxjander wrote:I have re-created the "Sys:WBstartup" folder with Commodities being placed into it and re-configured everything in the WBstartup Preferences tool to run from there,
While this should in principle work, it will result in the updates putting new versions of e.g. commodities into the place where they belong in a standard installation (e.g. Utilities/Commodities) and therefore not updating the ones you run at startup - unless of course all your WBStartup objects are simply links to the original locations (which is what I do here).
I have replaced "Expansion" with "Emulation" and have WBstartup Prefs System Extension Tools Devs Emulation and Storage folders displayed in the main Partition with all other folders non-displaying,
Tools? The Tools drawer has long been obsolete and its contents moved to other drawers (Utilities and System, mainly).
I have also redone a "Sys:Rexx" tree with "REXX:" Assigned to it seperate from S: which I find mainly used for "Scripted Settings" for various programs,
with a "REXX:C" folder containing the Rexx programs that were in C:
I have also done the same to python excepting the SObjs:libpython25.so file (which remains in "Sys:SObjs")
Again, changes like these are likely reasons for things like updates to malfunction. I'd strongly recommend you to leave the layout of SYS: the way the installations created it.

Edit: BTW, this is especially important for Python, since the installation program used in the updates runs on Python. IOW, don't mess with your Python installation.

At all.

Best regards,

Niels
xenic

Post by xenic »

@Belxjander
As nbache mentioned, moving the system files around is a bad idea. System updates may fail to install. Programs should be looking for files in assigned directories (C: LIBS: etc.) but some look in specificic directories and will fail. For example the default WBHelp icon in AmiDock calls a script in S:ARexx instead of AREXX: and will fail if you move all the ARexx files to another location. In addition, some programs and scripts use complete paths (C:Rx C:RxSet etc.) to call C: commands commands and will fail unless you "assign ADD" the location of your ARexx commands to the C: directory. In addition to dropping the Tools directory, OS4 has also dropped the Expansion directory. The Expansion directory had a specific purpose on old classic Amigas but is even obsolete with A1200, A4000 etc. It almost sounds like you want to make your OS4 WorkBench into an OS3 WorkBench :-). You should leave at least one OS4 boot partition as it was installed. Then you can boot from that partition to fix anything that goes wrong with custom boot partitions.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

xenic wrote:For example the default WBHelp icon in AmiDock calls a script in S:ARexx instead of AREXX: and will fail if you move all the ARexx files to another location.
Actually, it doesn't call a script in S:ARexx, it is (the icon of) a script in S:ARexx. So moving the script (and the icon) will mean that AmiDock cannot load the icon and will most likely cause error messages at startup.

Best regards,

Niels
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

I had the Installers fail *before* the custom layout was applied on a seperate partition... if you assume that they failed because of the changes I made when hand-installing to a "copy" of the installation partition then is the installer assuming sys: is the only destination or something else strange?

I had *two* copies of Workbench installed "Belxjander"(customized as described), and "Reservation"(original OS installation materials only),

and I update "Belxjander" from "Reservation" by hand copying changes (I am considering making a script to automate this for future updates)

yet.. booting with "Reservation" and attempting to run the updates installers (no changes to the layout are applied or are in effect anywhere!)
is when they fail with CrashLogs (the only setting changed on this setup from that supplied with the CD is the GrimReaper CrashLog location
xenic

Post by xenic »

@Belxjander
You mentioned in your original post that Python doesn't work on your system. The Update installer packages are Python scripts run by "Installation Utility" (instead of "Installer" and standard Installer scripts). If Python isn't working on your system then it's no wonder that the installations fail.
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

xenic wrote:@Belxjander
You mentioned in your original post that Python doesn't work on your system. The Update installer packages are Python scripts run by "Installation Utility" (instead of "Installer" and standard Installer scripts). If Python isn't working on your system then it's no wonder that the installations fail.
Any reason for python to be broken "out of the box" at all?

Only python and TimberWolf appear to be broken in that way, I have no trouble with anything else other than for expected testing of maybe broken things with petunia wrapped applications (and I am not even breaking past 300MB of memory used for the average session yet... normally under Linux or Windows I would easilly be passing 2GB of memory used for the same activities without any troubles)
xenic

Post by xenic »

Belxjander wrote:Any reason for python to be broken "out of the box" at all?
Is it really "out of the box" as you say? Your initial post states that you have redone ARexx and Python. I don't know anything about Python and I suspect that everyone else may be discouraged from further help because of the system modifications you have described.
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

I concur with xenic's post regarding the modifications, and the other previous suggestions.

Please if you can try a vanilla install on a new smallish partition (purely for testing purposes) to install from the base CD then apply the updates. From memory, the install script is not so complex for updates 3 and 4 that I looked at for the Classic install and I think it is the same install script (which takes a different path for Sam and copies the generic plus platform specific files). Although I am not a Sam user (classic and X1000 only) I am not aware of such install script issues for other users - someone please advise if that is not the case as it would be relevant info.

If the problem still occurs on that install, we can take a deeper look why it is failing.

If you have such an install script failure on a core update and then continue to install other applications on top, I expect it will not end well for those applications.
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5