Would digg this fanless fan on X1000

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

Would digg this fanless fan on X1000

Post by amigasociety »

I am all for pure quiet computing experiences. Love my old G4 Cube, even love how quiet my Mac Mini 2010 model is, dead silent.

I would sure digg a silent X1000.

Saw this fan today and thought it was mighty cool looking.

Would love this silence on a X1000.

tj

Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Would digg this fanless fan on X1000

Post by Hans »

amigasociety wrote:I am all for pure quiet computing experiences. Love my old G4 Cube, even love how quiet my Mac Mini 2010 model is, dead silent.

Saw this fan today and thought it was mighty cool looking.

Would love this silence on a X1000.

tj

Looks nice. Please note that, if you're going to start working with passive cooling, then you need to make sure that your case fans give plenty of air circulation. I have a passive Radeon HD 4850 in my A1-X1000, and installed an extra case fan in the bottom of the case specifically to increase the airflow through its large heat-sync.

That said, the PA6T is a pretty power efficient CPU, so it shouldn't take too much to keep it cool. Still, I'd err on the safe side with this.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Well, you won't catch me doing an update like this but one can dream that something like this could be installed down the road. :D

TJ

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

Don't forget additional struts to support the weight of the heatsink! :roll:

Seriously, it's beautiful.
Severin
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Severin »

I doubt it would be worth the effort of fitting it, it's probably meant for quad core+ intel room heaters the pa-semi doesn't run hot enough to need serious cooling. Even if your doing 24/7 number crunching under linux the supplied heatsink and fan should be more than enough. they're not going to risk a board that costs that much with a cheap underpowered cooling system.
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

Severin wrote:I doubt it would be worth the effort of fitting it, it's probably meant for quad core+ intel room heaters the pa-semi doesn't run hot enough to need serious cooling. Even if your doing 24/7 number crunching under linux the supplied heatsink and fan should be more than enough. they're not going to risk a board that costs that much with a cheap underpowered cooling system.
Well of course, but sometimes a heatsink isn't about staying cool, it's about looking cool! 8-)
Next we'll fit that copper monster with some RGB LED's, then add "ground effects" lighting under the edge of the Nemo board all around... well. You get the idea. If you're gonna spend money, you might as well look cool doing it!
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

I've given some thought into replacing the existing heatsink & fan for something quieter. Take note, with a memory stick on both sides of the cpu, you only have 3" of space to work for a replacement or a bit less. Cuts down on what can be installed.

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

amigasociety wrote:I am all for pure quiet computing experiences. Love my old G4 Cube, even love how quiet my Mac Mini 2010 model is, dead silent.

You're right about the noise.

On my X1000 I blocked off all the holes on the rear of the case, including the ones on the
rubber grommets and card slot block-off plates except for the one just below the graphics card.
Then disconnected the front fan.

It runs no hotter and the air out the back is the same temperature as before. Flow direction
is as importent as volume.

Makes no sense to have the air flow in-the-back, out-the-back. Especially all those holes just
below the rear fan.

P.S. The front fan connects the the MB on the lower right hand corner.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

Wow, just looked up that cooler, it's 180mm W & 148mm H, thats 7 in x 6 in, huge & would never fit. :-D
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Sundowner, I guess I should have looked at the size. hehehe...

I guess size does matter. :lol: :lol:

tj

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor