Sound Blaster problem and AmigaOne 500

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
pioneer

Sound Blaster problem and AmigaOne 500

Post by pioneer »

In another topic I described my efforts to remove the Sii3512 card from the PCI slot, attach a hard drive to the built-in SATA connector, and install a Sound Blaster card in the PCI slot. I tried three different Sound Blaster cards. The last one I purchased is identical to one that two SAM 460 users say works with their systems. All the cards have the EMU10K1-XXX chip. The last one has a EMU10K1-JFF chip. What happens is I put the card in and go to AHI prefs. I select the EMU driver. When I try a test tone, I get a beep that locks up the computer and doesn't stop until I reset the computer. Two of the cards work fine in my microA1 (I haven't tried the other one, but I'm sure it will work also.) Since the Sound Blaster Live! Digital is identical to what the other guys are using, I'm thinking it's something wrong with my setup. I also have a RadeonHD video card. I tried removing it, which didn't make any difference. I also tried removing all the drivers from the Prefs/AHI directory except for the EMU one and that didn't help either.
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Sound Blaster problem and AmigaOne 500

Post by Slayer »

I'm not sure SB is supported as such

Have you tried using one of the other audio settings?

On my X1000 I have selected

EMU10Kx: HiFi 16 bit 7.1 multichannel

but there are two other Stereo settings

EMU10kx: HiFi 16 bit stereo++
EMU10kx: 16 bit stereo

Also, what Music Unit are you using?

I leave it on Music Unit but did set up Unit 0 as well

Someone with a 460ex could shine more specific light on the subject
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
xenic

Post by xenic »

@pioneer
I just bought a third non-working sound card too. Someone in an Amiga forum provided a link to it on Ebay and said it was the same card that worked on their system. It too was an SB Live card with the EMU chip. I wish some Amiga retailer would sell some "tested" sound cards that work on SAM boards; even if they are used cards. I have a SAM Flex and not the 460 but the problem seems to be the same. However, the latest card I tried doesn't lock my system; it just doesn't make any sound.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

FYI, many of the SBLive! cards are known to be faulty and cause PCI bus problems. The problem is, there are so many variants of the SBLive! card that somebody will always claim "it works here." I think it is best just to never use a SBLive! card at all on any platform.
ExecSG Team Lead
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Keep in mind that AHI processes the sound fed to it and that Mixer sets up things on the sound card.
So be sure Mixer is active before setting AHI.

For SBLive only the two outside sliders are used. The Master ( far right ) should be set up about 90% and the
PCM (far left) should be set to about 60% up. The others should be muted.

In AHI be sure to choose Mixer input for both Music unit and Unit 0.

I'm not home at this time so cannot comment further on other settings.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

On my Sam440ep-Flex I notice that the SBlive! gives problems when it is not seated properly in the pci slot. It will not work. In some cases it shows up in Ranger but with a parity error in the status.
I have removed it as I open my case a lot to swap video cards for testing .
ssolie wrote:FYI, many of the SBLive! cards are known to be faulty and cause PCI bus problems. The problem is, there are so many variants of the SBLive! card that somebody will always claim "it works here." I think it is best just to never use a SBLive! card at all on any platform.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Just FYI I replaced the (?)soundcard in my X1000 with a SBLive! SB0220 and it is working great. Full 5.1 surround for music and videos.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Once the firmware sets it up properly on a given machine any PCI card with supported chipset should work under OS 4.x .
The next step will be the same thing for PCIE cards . This would make the Sam460ex very expandable .
mechanic wrote:Just FYI I replaced the (?)soundcard in my X1000 with a SBLive! SB0220 and it is working great. Full 5.1 surround for music and videos.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
xenic

Post by xenic »

Spectre660 wrote:On my Sam440ep-Flex I notice that the SBlive! gives problems when it is not seated properly in the pci slot. It will not work. In some cases it shows up in Ranger but with a parity error in the status.
I have removed it as I open my case a lot to swap video cards for testing .
It's a little late for a new comment in this topic but I would just like to add that I finally got the SBLive sound card to work in my SAM Flex 800 and then had similar seating problems. For whatever reason, the sound card won't work in the bottom PCI slot but does work in the middle slot. However, it causes my system to spontaneously reboot if It is not seated just right. I had to bend the rear bracket so I could screw in the bracket without pulling on the card. I don't know if there is a problem with the case/board alignment or if it's the way the sound card is constructed. The SBLive is much quieter than the internal SAM sound (which produces annoying hiss when turned up loud or when using headphones.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

xenic wrote: finally got the SBLive sound card to work in my SAM Flex 800
It is good to know that is does work. Good job finding the problem.

I use the EMU10kx multichannel setting in AHI prefs with Front&Rear output.
By adjusting the PCM slider in mixer you can adjust where the sound is to your liking.

Not much wiggle room in PCI slots, even less with PCIe.

Nothing like a good bug hunt to make you want to get out of bed in the morning, eh? :)