rescan SATA bus

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

rescan SATA bus

Post by nexus »

As this has come just to my mind..

Is there some official tool (maybe "Media Toolbox") on AOS4 to rescan the SATA-Bus?
If so, how can it be done? If not, is it planed to be done?

The reason for my question is, that AOS4 does not recognize eSATAp devices like external HDs or sticks when plugged in
after AOS4 has booted. You have to plug them in before you power on the machine, then they are visible in AOS4
(on a Sam440ep - however, I think it's a gerneral AOS4 issue).

eSATAp is possible by simply connecting a cable/adapter to the internal SATA ports
(+a cable from power supply)

Thanks,
nexus

P.S. I think, it's the same on a PegasosII with PCI-SATAII-card. At least, I used such a card before I sold my PegasosII.
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: rescan SATA bus

Post by DarrenHD »

nexus wrote:As this has come just to my mind..

Is there some official tool (maybe "Media Toolbox") on AOS4 to rescan the SATA-Bus?
If so, how can it be done? If not, is it planed to be done?

The reason for my question is, that AOS4 does not recognize eSATAp devices like external HDs or sticks when plugged in
after AOS4 has booted. You have to plug them in before you power on the machine, then they are visible in AOS4
(on a Sam440ep - however, I think it's a gerneral AOS4 issue).

eSATAp is possible by simply connecting a cable/adapter to the internal SATA ports
(+a cable from power supply)

Thanks,
nexus

P.S. I think, it's the same on a PegasosII with PCI-SATAII-card. At least, I used such a card before I sold my PegasosII.

You can use Mounter in SYS:System/Mounter. Just edit the tooltype to add your device. It will scan the bus and then you can mount partitions from a SATA controller, even if the SATA device was turned off when you booted initially.

Darren
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nexus »

If that works then it's easy enough for me! Thank you very much!
I fiddled around with "Media Toolbox" but couldn't find a way
and even asked at aw.net, i think -- without finding a solution.

Thanks again, I'll check it asap.
nexus
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nexus »

It works almost.
It still requires a (warm) reboot (CTRL-lA-rA) with my external HD.
However, it's an improvement!

Thanks,
nexus
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Once you do get to recognise them use mediatoolbox to look at them, perhaps they aren't set to automount? For the HDs anyway, not sure sticks have RDB or similair...

You could always read sys:documentation/system/mounter.doc too although I didn't see anything specific to your needs, a couple of the tooltype options could be setup to toggle between but who wants to double click icons x amount of times to get some thing to work? although you could use a project icon attached a script that uses Mounter via the commandline ... could diskchange be utiltised, who knows ;)

It's all good Amiga fun! I lived in the Shell for the first 5 years of owning my first Amiga, I used to delete icons, I hated workbench :lol:

- then SID came along and changed my life! I wish someone knew where Timm Martin was so we could acquire the source code. I'd stop using DirOpus and use that immediately if I could, had to stop using it a few years back because there was too many graphical glitches in hires modes and well, I had to go 1680x1050 when I got the 22 LCD.
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nexus »

as soon as the external HD is recognized by "mounter", the mounting of paritions itself is not an issue. I have mountlists for this purpose (created by GiggleDisk -- very useful tool).

The procedure is the following.

1. plug eSATA device (in my case: a 2TB HD) into SAM440ep while AmigaOS4.1 is running
2. use "mounter" either from shell or workbench
--> HD is not recognized
3. reboot with CTRL-A-A
4. use "mounter" again
--> HD is recognized
5. type "mount GDHD0:" (---here GDHD0 is the name of the partition) to mount the partition 0 of the HD
6. enjoy the fast access to the external HD (who needs slow USB2.0? :-) )

without using "mounter", you have to plug the eSATA device into your SAM before powering it up or press the reset button.

nexus
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

nexus wrote:as soon as the external HD is recognized by "mounter", the mounting of paritions itself is not an issue. I have mountlists for this purpose (created by GiggleDisk -- very useful tool).

1. plug eSATA device (in my case: a 2TB HD) into SAM440ep while AmigaOS4.1 is running
--> HD is not recognized
3. reboot with CTRL-A-A
4. use "mounter" again
--> HD is recognized
5. type "mount GDHD0:" (---here GDHD0 is the name of the partition) to mount the partition 0 of the HD

without using "mounter", you have to plug the eSATA device into your SAM before powering it up or press the reset button.

nexus
From what you've described it sounds to me like the sata.device (whatever it is called) is running a bus scan at start up and keeping a list internally for the devices it finds. When you plug the eSATA device in it is not recognised as the ID it is using didn't respond initially. A reboot cures this as the device is then present on startup. Maybe one the devs can confirm. There may need for a slightly updated driver that rescans esch time an empty ID is accessed.

Also you seem to be missing the point of mounter. From the main window double click on the eSATA device entry, and a list of partitions should appear. Select GDH00 and then use the 'Mount' button. No need for using 'mount' from the shell. (This works here with the hidden partition on my a1ide.device drive)

Regards
Darren
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nexus »

daz wrote: From what you've described it sounds to me like the sata.device (whatever it is called) is running a bus scan at start up and keeping a list internally for the devices it finds. When you plug the eSATA device in it is not recognised as the ID it is using didn't respond initially. A reboot cures this as the device is then present on startup.
However, when just using "Media Toolbox" the eSATA HD is only recognized when plugged in before turning on the machine. A simple warm reboot is not enough. When using "Mounter" the HD is recognized with the next warm reboot.
Also you seem to be missing the point of mounter. From the main window double click on the eSATA device entry, and a list of partitions should appear. Select GDH00 and then use the 'Mount' button.
This only works with Amiga filesystems when specified in the RDB, doesn't it?.

Although, I haven't tried it but I guess it doesn't work with ext2 formated Linux-HDs, does it? At least, somehow there must be a way to specify the filesystem handler. With a mount file this is easy and therefore, I use it. The initial problematic step is just to get the eSATA device recognized.

nexus
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

nexus wrote:as soon as the external HD is recognized by "mounter", the mounting of paritions itself is not an issue. I have mountlists for this purpose (created by GiggleDisk -- very useful tool).
Mounter is a passive tool, it does not change the devices available on your machine! It is only of use for RDB disks, which I see now you are not using. In other words step 4 in your list below is redundant.

I would copy the mountlist created by Giggledisk to a small text file and give it an Icon with the tool type 'c:mount' Look in WB4.1/storage there are some good examples there.
Leave this icon out on WB, then doubleclick when you want to access the drive.

--> HD is not recognized
As I tried to explain - the SATA device driver doesn't know about your eSATA drive as it started after the device driver did, therefore mounter cannot see it. MediaToolBox won't either.
3. reboot with CTRL-A-A
4. use "mounter" again
Not needed, you've restarted the SATA device driver and it has rescanned the bus, finding your eSATA drive. Both MediaToolBox and Mounter will now find the drive. Run them both to show this.
--> HD is recognized

nexus
Mounter is not causing anything to happen, as hopefully you've found out by now.

Let us know how you get on.
Darren
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nexus »

yes, you're right. I desperately tried to convince myself that you were not but I failed (which is good :-) ).
For some reasons, in my previous tests I thought a cold reboot would be necessary but also without "Mounter"
a warm reboot is sufficient.

Thanks daz for pointing me to my stupidness :-)

nexus