No wi-fi?

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

No wi-fi?

Post by kilaueabart »

Granted, it has been a long time, but I have strong memories of having to on occasion click an icon in the upper right to reset wi-fi. Now when I click that icon I get only the option to Disconnect Wired connection 1, or add a VPN connection.
kilaueabart

Re: No wi-fi?

Post by kilaueabart »

I tried googling "amigaonex5000 wi-fi." It got me a lot of AmigaOneX5000 pages, but I couldn't find any mention of wi-fi. Is my memory of it really a false memory?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

The X5000 has no built-in WiFi. You can probably access WiFi by using a PCI card or other (e.g. USB, I think) with a WiFi controller, but I don't know which, if any, work with Linux.

Best regards,

Niels
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

I use the FRITZ!WLAN USB Stick N v2.0 B.

lsusb | grep -i wlan

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 057c:8501 AVM GmbH FRITZ WLAN N v2 [RT5572/rt2870.bin]
I think you use already a WLAN USB stick.

Is it yours?

Code: Select all

Realtek RTL8188CUS WLAN adapter

Vender specific (480 Mb/s, 500mA)
      Realtek 002.11n WLAN Adapter 00e04e00000
Maybe you need to install the firmware with "dpkg -i" as root.

Download: firmware-realtek_20230515-3_all.deb
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Wow, thank you for that answer, Christian! That Realtek WLAN adapter sounds like something I have seen kicking around here. In a so-far failed search for it I did find an unopened USB 2.0 wireless 802.11n, 150 Mbps. Amazon tells me it is a Realtek thing, so it must be a close cousin of the one you thnk I have. I imagine I should be able to make it work. It came with a small disk that I put in my X5000's drive. It spun for a while and then that light next to the power light did a lot of flashing so I had/have my hopes up, but so far fienix doesn't know anything about it.
(edit)
I don't think I know exactly what "install the firmware with 'dpkg -i' as root" means.
I don't remember what I did yesterday to get all that extra junk in Downloads, but when I try
root@fienix:/home/fienix# dpkg -i firmware-realtek_20230515-3_all.deb
I get
dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable
Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin

I googled PATH. I think I know how to add those but I assume they should be permanent, which sounds sort of kind of complicated.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:47 pm Wow, thank you for that answer, Christian! That Realtek WLAN adapter sounds like something I have seen kicking around here. In a so-far failed search for it I did find an unopened USB 2.0 wireless 802.11n, 150 Mbps. Amazon tells me it is a Realtek thing, so it must be a close cousin of the one you thnk I have. I imagine I should be able to make it work. It came with a small disk that I put in my X5000's drive. It spun for a while and then that light next to the power light did a lot of flashing so I had/have my hopes up, but so far fienix doesn't know anything about it.
(edit)
I don't think I know exactly what "install the firmware with 'dpkg -i' as root" means.
I don't remember what I did yesterday to get all that extra junk in Downloads, but when I try
root@fienix:/home/fienix# dpkg -i firmware-realtek_20230515-3_all.deb
I get
dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable
Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin

I googled PATH. I think I know how to add those but I assume they should be permanent, which sounds sort of kind of complicated.
Please try it as root with su -.

kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I must be really stupid, because today I don't know where to find that download.

dpkg: error: cannot access archive 'firmware-realtek_20230515-3_all.deb': No such file or directory[/b]
realtek.png
Attachments
download.png
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

The 2nd and 3rd lines of the above were supposed to be
dpkg -i firmware-realtek_20230515-3_all.deb
dpkg: error: cannot access archive 'firmware-realtek_20230515-3_all.deb': No such file or directory

If I edited it, I would lose the images and it took me too long to get them up here.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Apparently I still remembered my Void root password on Monday, but I have completely forgotten it. I found directions to reset it on Youtube, but I can't play Youtube in Linux, neither Void nor Fienix. Back to MicrosoftEdge, I guess. :cry:
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:32 am Apparently I still remembered my Void root password on Monday, but I have completely forgotten it.
Have you changed the password of the amigaone user or have you created a new user?