Arctic Fox

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
xeno74

Re: Arctic Fox 27.9.12 (Firefox 63.0) a fork of Pale Moon

Post by xeno74 »

Pale Moon 28 is ported to PowerPC Linux
wicknix wrote: With the help from rpxrpx on the pale moon forum pointing me in the right direction i have successfully built the latest 28.4.1 release for 32-bit powerpc linux! I had to modify a bunch of makefiles and rip out all the sse2 and -m64 flags they tossed in. This release is on par with Firefox 60.9 esr in terms of browser engine. While i dearly love Arctic Fox, it was meant mainly for OS X 10.6 when the project started. Powerpc linux/bsd was just a bonus as it didn't require modifications. While Arctic Fox is a tad lighter on resources, this works well for those stubborn sites you run across that are too complex for AF's slightly older backend. I've only run across 1 big issue. They ripped out legacy support in some of the multimedia code, so there is no video playback on powerpc. You just get the youtube spinning circle. Web audio (sound cloud for example) works fine. As a work-a-round installing grease monkey with the viewtube script, and installing the vlc browser plugin works perfectly. At any rate, I'm stoked. Things are looking up for ppc linux. :)

Tested working on my mac mini g4 under lubuntu 16 (pure 32-bit kernel and userland)
Tested working on PMG5 under lubuntu 16 (64-bit kernel, 32-bit userland)

I built with their unofficial "NewMoon" branding, since well... powerpc isn't officially on their supported list.
Download

Modified source

http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Wow, this is great! Any word from wicknix on if they are continuing with Arctic Fox as well? Since Fienix is meant to work with vlc-browser-plugin + greasemonkey + ViewTube the video issue doesn't matter much for us. Pale Moon seems to run well on Fienix:
-Casey
xeno74 wrote:Pale Moon 28 is ported to PowerPC Linux
wicknix wrote: With the help from rpxrpx on the pale moon forum pointing me in the right direction i have successfully built the latest 28.4.1 release for 32-bit powerpc linux! I had to modify a bunch of makefiles and rip out all the sse2 and -m64 flags they tossed in. This release is on par with Firefox 60.9 esr in terms of browser engine. While i dearly love Arctic Fox, it was meant mainly for OS X 10.6 when the project started. Powerpc linux/bsd was just a bonus as it didn't require modifications. While Arctic Fox is a tad lighter on resources, this works well for those stubborn sites you run across that are too complex for AF's slightly older backend. I've only run across 1 big issue. They ripped out legacy support in some of the multimedia code, so there is no video playback on powerpc. You just get the youtube spinning circle. Web audio (sound cloud for example) works fine. As a work-a-round installing grease monkey with the viewtube script, and installing the vlc browser plugin works perfectly. At any rate, I'm stoked. Things are looking up for ppc linux. :)

Tested working on my mac mini g4 under lubuntu 16 (pure 32-bit kernel and userland)

I built with their unofficial "NewMoon" branding, since well... powerpc isn't officially on their supported list.
Download

Modified source

caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Wow! Look how nicely Pale Moon/New Moon renders GitHub! This is exciting!

-Casey
xeno74 wrote:Pale Moon 28 is ported to PowerPC Linux

Download

Modified source

xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Pale Moon 28.4.1 on ubuntu MATE 16.04.6 LTS PowerPC (X1000):

Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Palemoon 28.4.1 running on the AmigaOne X5000!

Big picture http://www.skateman.nl/wp-content/uploa ... 200726.png

Thanks guys!
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Wow, just one short look so far, but I am impressed! Also scared. It's going to take the rest of my life to consider all the various options it seems to offer.
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

Thank-you, even with my very limited Linux skills, I has able to install Pale Moon and get it running. Speed does seem pretty good.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

FYI:

SpiderWeb and SpiderMail have been released for PowerPC Linux!
:-)
Wart Hog Matt wrote: I've been a busy beaver. Here's another UXP based seamonkey-like browser and UXP based thunderbird-like mail/news/rss client for powerpc linux. More info here: https://github.com/wicknix/SpiderWeb/wiki/Download
ubuntu MATE 16.04.6 LTS PowerPC with SpiderMail 1.0.0:

Xubuntu 16.04.6 LTS PowerPC with SpiderWeb 1.0.0:

kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I downloaded New Moon to fienix/Downloads and unarchived it right there. I put the icon up on the menu bar of the fienix screen so I don't have to go Home > Downloads > Palemoon > Palemoon every time I want to run it, but I don't like the idea of leaving all its guts in Downloads and I don't have any good idea where to put it in fienix. I didn't have this problem with Arctic Fox, presumably because I let Synaptic handle that for me, and I finally ended up with its launcher in the pop-out thing on the left of the screen. Is there a natural place to put the stuff or should I just go ahead and make a fienix > newmoon folder?

While I'm talking browsers, here is a different kind of problem. If I click on a URL like this, https://photos.app.goo.gl/ng1fzLkPTi8L2YAr5, in an email, the new tab is basically this:
401error.png
It makes no difference what browser I use. Firefox, New Moon/Blue Moon, Chrome on my Android cell phone, whatever the name is of the browser in the Windows laptop, it's always that 401 error, Google can't find a Google URL. I have found two ways around it. In Mozilla Firefox, copy the URL and paste it in the Private window address bar. It loads fine that way. Another way I can get the URL to open is with Arctic Fox. What I do there is copy the URL from my email, close the browser, reopen it without going to email, and paste the URL into the address bar and the site opens fine.

Does anyone think that isn't weird?
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Glad you found the package in Synaptic. I have a folder in my home directory called "apps" that I test programs from before packaging them. You could do the same if you download a program that isn't available in Synaptic.
Your Google link issue is strange; I've not experienced that myself before.
-Casey
kilaueabart wrote:I downloaded New Moon to fienix/Downloads and unarchived it right there. I put the icon up on the menu bar of the fienix screen so I don't have to go Home > Downloads > Palemoon > Palemoon every time I want to run it, but I don't like the idea of leaving all its guts in Downloads and I don't have any good idea where to put it in fienix. I didn't have this problem with Arctic Fox, presumably because I let Synaptic handle that for me, and I finally ended up with its launcher in the pop-out thing on the left of the screen. Is there a natural place to put the stuff or should I just go ahead and make a fienix > newmoon folder?

While I'm talking browsers, here is a different kind of problem. If I click on a URL like this, https://photos.app.goo.gl/ng1fzLkPTi8L2YAr5, in an email, the new tab is basically this:
401error.png
It makes no difference what browser I use. Firefox, New Moon/Blue Moon, Chrome on my Android cell phone, whatever the name is of the browser in the Windows laptop, it's always that 401 error, Google can't find a Google URL. I have found two ways around it. In Mozilla Firefox, copy the URL and paste it in the Private window address bar. It loads fine that way. Another way I can get the URL to open is with Arctic Fox. What I do there is copy the URL from my email, close the browser, reopen it without going to email, and paste the URL into the address bar and the site opens fine.

Does anyone think that isn't weird?