Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
acefnq

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by acefnq »

Casey
Success. Thank you for your efforts

ace
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi All,

Casey has updated a lot of packages for Fienix. Now, we have Mesa 18.2.8!

@Casey
Many thanks for the updated packages! Unfortunately SuperTux doesn't work anymore.

Error messages:

Code: Select all

[FATAL] /home/casey/Sources/Working/SuperTux-0.6.0/SuperTux-v0.6.0-GL/src/supertux/main.cpp:604 Unexpected exception: boost::filesystem::canonical: No such file or directory: "/opt/supertux/share/games/supertux2"
SMPlayer works!

Thanks,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Hi Christian,
Thanks for letting me know about SMPlayer and SuperTux. Please try to reinstall or update SuperTux and let me know if it works. It should install the new 0.6.0 version and include the big endian sound fix.
-Casey
xeno74 wrote:Hi All,

Casey has updated a lot of packages for Fienix. Now, we have Mesa 18.2.8!

@Casey
Many thanks for the updated packages! Unfortunately SuperTux doesn't work anymore.

Error messages:

Code: Select all

[FATAL] /home/casey/Sources/Working/SuperTux-0.6.0/SuperTux-v0.6.0-GL/src/supertux/main.cpp:604 Unexpected exception: boost::filesystem::canonical: No such file or directory: "/opt/supertux/share/games/supertux2"
SMPlayer works!

Thanks,
Christian
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen wrote:Hi Christian,
Thanks for letting me know about SMPlayer and SuperTux. Please try to reinstall or update SuperTux and let me know if it works. It should install the new 0.6.0 version and include the big endian sound fix.
-Casey
Hi Casey,

SuperTux 0.6.0 works! :-) Many thanks! Your distribution works very well on my AmigaOne X1000! I like it very much!

Cheers,
Christian

Roland

Post by Roland »

After holidays, I was finally able to test Fienix... I'm very impressed! My hat is off to you, Casey :-).

A few minor notes/questions...

- If I understand right, Fienix has been compiled especially for X5000, and it could as well be called an 'Amiga' Linux. Did you ever consider to name it to point more or less directly to Amiga(One)?

- How can the password of 'root' changed? If I login as root and try to open the 'Users and accounts' prefs, the pointer just stucks to the 'loading' animation forever...

- In the same prefs, the 'login without password' option is disabled in all account types. Can it be activated somehow?

- In the deposite I was not able to find any sort of 'Flash' plugin. Is it possible to get some? At least for Debian 8/9 there were some 'half-made' versions available.
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback. I've copied your questions and entered my answers.

- If I understand right, Fienix has been compiled especially for X5000, and it could as well be called an 'Amiga' Linux. Did you ever consider to name it to point more or less directly to Amiga(One)?

No. While AmigaOne systems are the primary target for Fienix, I'm also making a Fienix boot image for Open Firmware Macs, and Fienix is already being tested on the PowerPC Notebook Project prototype hardware. It should also work on the Raptor Talos II, but I'm not aware of it having been tested yet. The larger the audience, the better. Additionally, I don't have permission to use the "Amiga" or "AmigaOne" trademarks and I've trademarked "Fienix" myself.

- How can the password of 'root' changed? If I login as root and try to open the 'Users and accounts' prefs, the pointer just stucks to the 'loading' animation forever...

Open a Terminal window. Type "su" and enter the default root password. Type "passwd root" and enter the new password.

- In the same prefs, the 'login without password' option is disabled in all account types. Can it be activated somehow?

LightDM disables this functionality. You can manually enable it if you wish. See https://wiki.debian.org/LightDM

- In the deposite I was not able to find any sort of 'Flash' plugin. Is it possible to get some? At least for Debian 8/9 there were some 'half-made' versions available.

Gnash supported Flash version 7 and some of version 8/9, but nothing after that. Do you still use a site that uses Flash? Flash is now blocked by default on Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, so I'm surprised if anyone is still publishing Flash content...
Roland wrote:After holidays, I was finally able to test Fienix... I'm very impressed! My hat is off to you, Casey :-).

A few minor notes/questions...

caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Christian,
If it is not already installed, please install fienix-customization-layer and then try to create a new user again. I think this should fix the issue. Please let me know.
-Casey
xeno74 wrote:Hi Casey,

I love the design of Fienix! I created a new user on Fienix yesterday. It works without any problems but this user has only the Debian default MATE theme.

Could you please copy the home directory of the user fienix to /etc/skel? The directory /etc/skel/ (skel is derived from the “skeleton”) is used to initiate home directory when a user is first created.

Thanks,
Christian
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen wrote:Christian,
If it is not already installed, please install fienix-customization-layer and then try to create a new user again. I think this should fix the issue. Please let me know.
-Casey
Hi Casey,

I was able to install the package 'fienix-customization-layer' today. After that I created a new user. He got the same initial settings like the user fienix! :-) Thank you! :-)

Could you please add the package openssh-server to your repository?

I love StreamTuner2 for listening to the internet radio. Is it possible to add it to your repository?
Streamtuner2 is a browser for radio station directories. It can fetch lists from SHOUTcast, Xiph.org, Live365, Jamendo, DMOZ, basic.ch, Punkcast. And it lists stream entries by category or genre. It reuses existing audio players, and recording is delegated to streamripper.
Screenshots of StreamTuner2:

Image Image Image Image Image

Thanks,
Christian

Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote:No. While AmigaOne systems are the primary target for Fienix, I'm also making a Fienix boot image for Open Firmware Macs, and Fienix is already being tested on the PowerPC Notebook Project prototype hardware. It should also work on the Raptor Talos II, but I'm not aware of it having been tested yet. The larger the audience, the better. Additionally, I don't have permission to use the "Amiga" or "AmigaOne" trademarks and I've trademarked "Fienix" myself.
I understand... These legal issues can be very tricky, as we already have seen! Best to keep on the safe side.

I'm glad to hear the PPC Notebook Project is interested in Fienix! I have followed that project and sincerely hope they can finally get that product out.

LightDM disables this functionality. You can manually enable it if you wish. See https://wiki.debian.org/LightDM
Thanks a lot, got it to work! There is one small side effect, though... When I log out, to change the account, the 'autologin' stays still active and relogins to the original account after a timeout. It is of course possible to give to the "autologin-user-timeout" a relatively high value, so that you have time to input the new login data, but it will also slow down the initial boot process. Would it be possible to somehow disable this 'autologin' when you log out to change the user?
Gnash supported Flash version 7 and some of version 8/9, but nothing after that. Do you still use a site that uses Flash? Flash is now blocked by default on Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, so I'm surprised if anyone is still publishing Flash content...
Some companies still use stubbornly Flash, e.g. for seat selection or for copy protection reasons ... And if they happen to have a monopoly in their area, they do not need to listen to their customers :-/.
- Roland -