Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
caseycullen

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by caseycullen »

Excellent, thanks for the feedback and the link! I'll test it tonight.

I haven't worked on system printing yet but plan on CUPS. Do you have another preference?

-Casey
acefnq wrote:
caseycullen wrote:I successfully built the newest version of Midori, it will launch but it won't load any webpages. I'll research this further when I have more time, because it does look promising if I can get it to work. The last version included with Debian and Ubuntu was 0.5.11, which launches and works ok - until you go to a page that has video on it. At that point crashes the entire system. So I'm not going to repackage it and put it in the repository, but if you want to install the Ubuntu package for personal use I've made it available here. If you find a workaround that will at least prevent it from crashing the whole system let me know.
-Casey

I installed your 5.11 version and followed the fixes at the attached link below. I visited Youtube, no crash in fact the videos actually play of sorts, video shows with pointer over black screen but sound plays fine. Thanks, I had some issues downloading with Firefox-ESR (crashes) have had that issue with other PPC distros as well.

Do you have aprinter system installed?

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php?topic=1947.0

ace
acefnq

Post by acefnq »

Casey some feedback.

Midori -As explained can play Youtube via VLC but VLC may crash after playing a number of files, if the 2 fixes are reapplied all is good again, I suspect this is just a cache issue. If you don't play videos it appears to be pretty stable.

Printing - Cups was installed with your image so I used the web interface (using Midori) to configure my printer. I have a canon Pixma MG6675 but none of the provided drivers work properly so instead I use a generic driver with IPP everywhere (included in the drop down driver section), my printer runs fine and is available to out put programs like LibreOffice.

http://localhost:631/printers/

Not working:
Mplayer (cannot select appropriate codecs)
MPV
SMTUBE
SMPlayer
Gimp
Blender

A number of programs cannot be installed because of dependencies including Alephone, Darkplaces, Marathon, Retroblazer and a few others. From some of your screenshots it appeared you have some of these running? I'll start to catalogue what runs (and there is a lot) and what doesn't. That may give you a starting point should you tackle sorting some of the issues.

I'll say it again though great work, nice to have updated software available to us.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Casey,

I love the design of Fienix! I created a new user on Fienix yesterday. It works without any problems but this user has only the Debian default MATE theme.

Could you please copy the home directory of the user fienix to /etc/skel? The directory /etc/skel/ (skel is derived from the “skeleton”) is used to initiate home directory when a user is first created.

Thanks,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

caseycullen wrote:We need an up-to-date, modern distribution specifically for PowerPC, with a repository that allows you to choose what to install, full of tested software that will run without problems. So I decided to make Fienix.
Installed on my X5000, a couple of issues, one very minor.

Wouldn't boot to a desktop on first reboot, just a white screen with lots of random coloured dots on. Needed to switch to the primary console (ctrl-alt-f1) login then run startx. I see a lot of radeon errors in dmesg - which don't appear with the Mate install I have. I'll try some other kernels to see if that fixes the problem.

Minor problem: Tmezone was set to Chicago, about 8 hours behind me. (Now fixed)
The Fienix disk image (downloadable from the website) contains only a minimal install, but apt and synaptic are configured to connect to the Fienix repository so you can download anything else you want using Synaptic. I have tested everything in the repository on my X5000, packages are patched/fixed/reconfigured wherever needed - there may still be minor bugs in some apps but everything runs and is functional.
Didn't get much time to test, what with downloading and installing, but seemed to be working OK, will continue to test.
I could also use some help if anyone is interested.
-revised instructions for using disk ID instead of the dev path
-instructions for how to use on an X1000 or Sam series
-instructions for how to use on Open Firmware (Power Mac); I'm currently working on this one
-testing with new kernels
-install option using DebianInstaller or similar, what's needed to do this?
-anything else; I'm totally open to collaboration, contributors, suggestions, etc.
-also see the To Do list
I will take a look at some of these, not sure how much free time I have ATM though.

Regards
Darren
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I thought everything was going great. It looks like this from 16.04 Desktop:
fienix.png
But "fatload usb 0:1 1000000 uImage-4.18" tells me it is reading it, then "** Unable to read file uImage-4.18 **." I went ahead and successfully fatloaded the cyrus_p5020 file anyway. But of course the bootm command, which I also tried in spite of the kernel failure, failed as well.

How does Uboot know which USB device to look at? I suspect it loaded the cyrus file from one of my other thumb drives. It must be the one that I use to boot 16.04 and REMIX from (labelled UBUNTU), because that is the only one that has cyrus_p5020_eth-poweroff.dtb but no copy of uImage-4.18 on it.

I think I will try putting another partition on my hard drive right after MATE and REMIX and copy the .img to it, then put a copy of uImage-4.18 back on UBUNTU and see if I can boot it the way I my Ubuntus, but I'm posting this anyway in case that turns out to be a bad idea and I need a better one.

That didn't work. GParted wouldn't set up a new 100 MiB partition in the 520 GiB free space. So I went back to Uboot, and "fatload usb 2:1" worked for the CYRUSBOOT files. But bootm failed. I guess it's because I haven't figured out how to tell it where to find the .img.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Please post the output of lsblk.

Thanks

daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

kilaueabart wrote:I thought everything was going great. It looks like this from 16.04 Desktop:
fienix.png
But "fatload usb 0:1 1000000 uImage-4.18" tells me it is reading it, then "** Unable to read file uImage-4.18 **." I went ahead and successfully fatloaded the cyrus_p5020 file anyway. But of course the bootm command, which I also tried in spite of the kernel failure, failed as well.

How does Uboot know which USB device to look at? I suspect it loaded the cyrus file from one of my other thumb drives. It must be the one that I use to boot 16.04 and REMIX from (labelled UBUNTU), because that is the only one that has cyrus_p5020_eth-poweroff.dtb but no copy of uImage-4.18 on it.
UBoot builds a list of USB devices when you run usb reset/start, and numbers the devices in the order it finds them. you can find out the numbers by entering the command 'usb storage' at the uboot prompt. (after you've run usb reset) As long as they aren't the same kind of USB device you should be able to work out the numbers to use from the list you get. Also you can use 'ls usb 0' or 'ls usb 1' to list which files are on which device.
I think I will try putting another partition on my hard drive right after MATE and REMIX and copy the .img to it, then put a copy of uImage-4.18 back on UBUNTU and see if I can boot it the way I my Ubuntus, but I'm posting this anyway in case that turns out to be a bad idea and I need a better one.
That sounds like the right way to go, you've got a useable USB stick BTW - the partition is call 'FIENIX' and I can see it on your desktop, so with the right boot command you should be able to boot.
That didn't work. GParted wouldn't set up a new 100 MiB partition in the 520 GiB free space. So I went back to Uboot, and "fatload usb 2:1" worked for the CYRUSBOOT files. But bootm failed. I guess it's because I haven't figured out how to tell it where to find the .img.
GParted is odd on PPC it can't create partitions with all alignment types, the default doesn't work. I'll need to check which one does.

Have you tried booting with one of the kernel/dtb files you use for MATE/REMIX? That should work.

Regards
Darren
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Fienix with VLC 3.0.4! The VLC plays a TV stream (DVB-C via Fritz!Box) with an audio output via Bluetooth loudspeaker:

kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote:Please post the output of lsblk.
Thanks

Code: Select all

bart@X5000:~$ lsblk
NAME    MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sdd       8:48   1  29.8G  0 disk 
├─sdd2    8:50   1  28.8G  0 part /media/bart/AMIGAONE
└─sdd1    8:49   1     1G  0 part /media/bart/MUTUAL
sdb       8:16   1 114.7G  0 disk 
├─sdb2    8:18   1  66.7G  0 part /media/bart/0ff72520-8d43-468d-b4f8-6cbe7ea35f
├─sdb3    8:19   1  44.1G  0 part /media/bart/AMIGAONE1
└─sdb1    8:17   1     4G  0 part /media/bart/UBUNTU
mmcblk0 179:0    0   3.7G  0 disk 
└─mmcblk0p1
        179:1    0   2.7G  0 part /media/bart/91dd8491-ac97-44c7-9611-dcabfec171
sr0      11:0    1  1024M  0 rom  
sdc       8:32   1  29.8G  0 disk 
├─sdc2    8:34   1  29.7G  0 part /media/bart/FIENIX
└─sdc1    8:33   1   128M  0 part /media/bart/CYRUSBOOT
sda       8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk 
├─sda4    8:4    0  36.2G  0 part 
├─sda2    8:2    0    40G  0 part 
├─sda5    8:5    0 151.7G  0 part /
├─sda3    8:3    0  32.5G  0 part 
├─sda1    8:1    0   4.1G  0 part 
└─sda6    8:6    0  97.4G  0 part 
/dev/sda is all Amiga except for sda5 (16.04.5) and sda6 (REMIX). Lots of redundant stuff I don't need in sdd2, sdb3, probably sdc1. Did I ever know what mmcblk0p1 is, or sr0 (the hard drive?)?
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

kilaueabart wrote:
xeno74 wrote:Please post the output of lsblk.
[...]
Did I ever know what mmcblk0p1 is, or sr0 (the hard drive?)?
sr0 is your optical drive and mmcblk0p1 is the sd card that contains UBoot - best leave that alone unless you know exactly what you are doing!

Regards
Darren