Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
caseycullen

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by caseycullen »

Thanks! I'll work on adding Midori; I think the more choices we have in functional browsers the better.
-Casey
acefnq wrote:Casey
Up and running, installation went very smoothly. Very polished, need to tweak a few things like my sound output but looks very sweet. Any chance of including Midori in your repository? Firefox works well but i like using Midori for normal browsing. Congratulations on producing something so polished.

ace
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

I successfully built the newest version of Midori, it will launch but it won't load any webpages. I'll research this further when I have more time, because it does look promising if I can get it to work. The last version included with Debian and Ubuntu was 0.5.11, which launches and works ok - until you go to a page that has video on it. At that point crashes the entire system. So I'm not going to repackage it and put it in the repository, but if you want to install the Ubuntu package for personal use I've made it available here. If you find a workaround that will at least prevent it from crashing the whole system let me know.
-Casey
acefnq wrote:Casey
Up and running, installation went very smoothly. Very polished, need to tweak a few things like my sound output but looks very sweet. Any chance of including Midori in your repository? Firefox works well but i like using Midori for normal browsing. Congratulations on producing something so polished.

ace
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Casey,

SuperTux from your repository has some sound problems. I solved these problems last week. Please look in the following thread: SuperTux.

Thanks,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
acefnq

Post by acefnq »

Casey Re Midori
Thanks, I'll give the current one a go. I use it a lot on U 16.04 and yes it does cause some problems at times trying to install plugins for video. On another matter when trying to install some software in the repository i get a lot of failures for dependencies Gimp and Blender for example, do you have these running? Sorry please don't take this as complaining just wondering if your expectation is that all software in the repo works, if so I may have some other issues.

Working well are Firefox-ESR, Thunderbird, Wesnoth (as examples of larger working packages), of course there are a plethora of smaller (and to me at least) some lesser known packages that work fine. Absolutely great work.

ace
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Casey,

Great news! I can boot Fienix in a virtual e5500 quad-core PPC64 QEMU machine on my laptop (x86_64).

Screenshot:

Cheers,
Christian

acefnq

Post by acefnq »

[quote="caseycullen"]I successfully built the newest version of Midori, it will launch but it won't load any webpages. I'll research this further when I have more time, because it does look promising if I can get it to work. The last version included with Debian and Ubuntu was 0.5.11, which launches and works ok - until you go to a page that has video on it. At that point crashes the entire system. So I'm not going to repackage it and put it in the repository, but if you want to install the Ubuntu package for personal use I've made it available here. If you find a workaround that will at least prevent it from crashing the whole system let me know.
-Casey

I installed your 5.11 version and followed the fixes at the attached link below. I visited Youtube, no crash in fact the videos actually play of sorts, video shows with pointer over black screen but sound plays fine. Thanks, I had some issues downloading with Firefox-ESR (crashes) have had that issue with other PPC distros as well.

Do you have aprinter system installed?

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php?topic=1947.0

ace
acefnq

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro -Midori Play Youtube with VL

Post by acefnq »

All
Apply the two fixes to Midori as outlined in previous post. You can then play Youtube videos via VLC by doing the following;

1. In VLC set the tools/preferences /Input-codecs - Hardware accelerated decoding to "VA-API video decoder via DRM"
2. Go to Youtube, select your required video. Right click the link and select "open with" (towards the bottom", select VLC.

That is it. Give it a go.

ace
xeno74

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro -Midori Play Youtube with VL

Post by xeno74 »

acefnq wrote:All
Apply the two fixes to Midori as outlined in previous post. You can then play Youtube videos via VLC by doing the following;

1. In VLC set the tools/preferences /Input-codecs - Hardware accelerated decoding to "VA-API video decoder via DRM"
2. Go to Youtube, select your required video. Right click the link and select "open with" (towards the bottom", select VLC.

That is it. Give it a go.

ace
Many thanks for the hint!!!!! :-)

caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Thanks for letting me know about Gimp and Blender, I'll look into them tonight and see what's up. I don't at all take it as complaining at all, so no worries there; I appreciate that you're testing things out :)
acefnq wrote:Casey Re Midori
Thanks, I'll give the current one a go. I use it a lot on U 16.04 and yes it does cause some problems at times trying to install plugins for video. On another matter when trying to install some software in the repository i get a lot of failures for dependencies Gimp and Blender for example, do you have these running? Sorry please don't take this as complaining just wondering if your expectation is that all software in the repo works, if so I may have some other issues.

Working well are Firefox-ESR, Thunderbird, Wesnoth (as examples of larger working packages), of course there are a plethora of smaller (and to me at least) some lesser known packages that work fine. Absolutely great work.

ace
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Absolutely, that is on my to-do list. Thanks for the fix!
xeno74 wrote:Hi Casey,

SuperTux from your repository has some sound problems. I solved these problems last week. Please look in the following thread: SuperTux.

Thanks,
Christian