Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
caseycullen

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by caseycullen »

kilaueabart wrote:That made for an interesting session and some progress. I include the results, much edited (but I saved the whole batch just in case). I'm not sure how I should interpret the next-to-last line, so I quit experimenting.
I think it was very unkind to remove network-manager (1.20.2-1) and then tell me I need it but can't get it.
Yes, apt can be rude at times.
Here's what we shall do:
1) as su, enter "nano /etc/apt/sources.list"
2) remove all the text in that file and replace it with the following:

Code: Select all

deb http://fienix.servehttp.com/repos/fienix/soar/ soar-di main
deb http://fienix.servehttp.com/repos/fienix/soar/ soar-dh main
deb http://fienix.servehttp.com/repos/fienix/soar/ soar-cp main
3) save and exit (Ctrl +X, then Y to save)
4) as su, enter "apt-get update", then "apt-get install fienix-customization-layer"
5) then upgrade all packages, either through Synaptic or terminal
Last edited by caseycullen on Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote: Yes, apt can be rude at times.
Here's what we shall do:
1) ...
4) as su, enter "apt-get upgrade", then "apt-get install fienix-customization-layer"
Wonderful! I had to change "upgrade" in step 4 to "update," and then things really started happening!

I got these cautions (and two more I didn't see in time to save), but I have no idea how seriously I should take them:

iptables (1.8.4-1) unstable; urgency=medium

libplist (2.0.1~git20190921.6a53de9-1) unstable; urgency=medium
I noticed when I booted this morning that the 2nd odd rectangle like the internet timing one in the upper right panel is missing, possibly a result of losing network-manager? I'm going to reboot now that it has been presumably replaced and see it that fixes the matter.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

kilaueabart wrote:
caseycullen wrote: Yes, apt can be rude at times.
Here's what we shall do:
1) ...
4) as su, enter "apt-get upgrade", then "apt-get install fienix-customization-layer"
Wonderful! I had to change "upgrade" in step 4 to "update," and then things really started happening!

I got these cautions (and two more I didn't see in time to save), but I have no idea how seriously I should take them:

iptables (1.8.4-1) unstable; urgency=medium

libplist (2.0.1~git20190921.6a53de9-1) unstable; urgency=medium
I noticed when I booted this morning that the 2nd odd rectangle like the internet timing one in the upper right panel is missing, possibly a result of losing network-manager? I'm going to reboot now that it has been presumably replaced and see it that fixes the matter.
Good catch with update vs. upgrade, that was definitely my mistake!
You really should have two "rectangles" (they're supposed to look like Ethernet jacks); one is for network connections and the other is to show your netspeed. But your connectivity seems to work fine?
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Sigh. System Monitor told me I was on MATE 1.22.2 and everything going swimmingly. I rebooted, hoping to get that second rectangle, and also hoping not to have to wait through "A start job is running for Raise network interfaces." Still had the start job but ended with that mottled screen I used to get. I used to be able to get through that to the Fienix screen one way or another, hitting Enter, typing in "fienix" and/or "fienixPW," but nothing today. Cursor moves, but Ctrl^Alt^F3 does nothing. Had to push the reset button on the box. Tried again, same thing. One difference about that mottled screen from the old one is that there is a black rectangle in the upper left corner with two bars sticking out to the right. I'm going to hunt down that fix you suggested for someone else with the screen problem that worked for me too, hoping I can do it from Ubuntu.

I spent some time looking at log files from the trials this morning. Lots of failures, but that holds true for the old logs too. Is there anything in particular I should look for in any particular log?

I'm probably doomed and going to have to save the data from my current Fienix to a thumb drive and start over from scratch. :-(
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Casey provided the cure for the original mottled screen problem on September 25:

mv '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so' '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so.bak'
Currently my upgraded but unviewable Fienix has both libglamoregl.so and libglamoregl.so.bak in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/. They seem to be identical in that they are both 264812 bytes long, but the dates are different, the .so.bak having been modified Tue 05 Mar 2019 and the .so on Tue 14 Jan 2020. Should I try to make any changes here?

I notice ubuntu has only the .so, 264780 bytes long, modified Fri 10 Aug 2018.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

kilaueabart wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:03 pm Casey provided the cure for the original mottled screen problem on September 25:

mv '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so' '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so.bak'
Currently my upgraded but unviewable Fienix has both libglamoregl.so and libglamoregl.so.bak in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/. They seem to be identical in that they are both 264812 bytes long, but the dates are different, the .so.bak having been modified Tue 05 Mar 2019 and the .so on Tue 14 Jan 2020. Should I try to make any changes here?

I notice ubuntu has only the .so, 264780 bytes long, modified Fri 10 Aug 2018.
You should rename "libglamoregl.so.bak" to "libglamoregl.so.bak.bak" and rename "libglamoregl.so" to "libglamoregl.so.bak".
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Sometimes the avahi daemon needs a lot of system resources. This slow down your system performance. If you don't need it and your system is slow then set the following lines to "no" in the file /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf.

nano /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf

use-ipv4=no
use-ipv6=no
I don't need the avahi daemon so I set these lines to "no".
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:31 pm You should rename "libglamoregl.so.bak" to "libglamoregl.so.bak.bak" and rename "libglamoregl.so" to "libglamoregl.so.bak".
That got rid of the mottled screen but left a black dead screen with a "_" in the upper left corner. I attach a screen dump of modules.
fienixusrlibxorgmodules.png
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Is it possible my problem relates to lightdm? I find this sort of negative comment in an auth.log:

Jan 23 09:33:29 Fienix systemd-logind[3910]: 
Jan 23 09:35:12 Fienix lightdm: pam_unix(lightdm-greeter:session): session opened for user lightdm by (uid=0)
Jan 23 09:35:12 Fienix systemd-logind[3910]: New session c1 of user lightdm.
Jan 23 09:35:12 Fienix systemd: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user lightdm by (uid=0)
Jan 23 09:35:34 Fienix lightdm: pam_unix(lightdm:auth): Couldn't open /etc/securetty: No such file or directory
Jan 23 09:35:34 Fienix lightdm: pam_unix(lightdm:auth): check pass; user unknown
Jan 23 09:35:34 Fienix lightdm: pam_unix(lightdm:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=:0 ruser= rhost= 
That may be from the mottled-screen day. Currently auth.log is limited, each boot try, to:

Jan 31 13:49:17 Fienix systemd-logind[3904]: New seat seat0.
Jan 31 13:49:19 Fienix systemd-logind[3904]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event6 (ELECOM ELECOM TrackBall Mouse System Control)
Jan 31 13:49:19 Fienix systemd-logind[3904]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event2 (Logitech K800)
Jan 31 13:49:19 Fienix systemd-logind[3904]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event5 (ELECOM ELECOM TrackBall Mouse Consumer Control)
This may not be new, but I noticed today that one of the boot messages is "rtl8192cu_common: Firmware is not ready to run!" Normal?

That was a scary week, no Hyperion!
Roland

Post by Roland »

My Fienix parttion needed some clean-up...

After removing some packages which I were useless for me, I also run 'sudo apt-get autoremove' which relased over 500 MB disk space!

The nasty side effect of this 'autoremove' was that I also lost 'sudo', do not understand why...:-( How could I get it back? 'Synaptic' and 'apt-get' cannot find it. Is it part of some other package?
- - -
As I noticed some other similar problems after 'autoremove', I decided to go back to a recent backup partition of Fienix.

But is there a safer way to do what 'sudo apt-get autoremove' does? Obviously it removes some packages which are not obsolate but still in use in Fienix!
- Roland -