Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Roland

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by Roland »

When I tried to set from "Time and Date Settings" the "Configuration" to "Keep synchronized with internet servers",
I got this kind of error message:

NTP support is not installed

What package(s) should I install to enable NTP support? In the deposit there was nothing with the name 'NTP'.
- Roland -
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JohnFante »

caseycullen wrote:Thanks!

Regarding the error:
Please open a terminal window and login as su
Enter "nano /root/.bashrc"
Make sure the following appears at the bottom of the file, add it if it doesn't:
"export PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"
Let me know if this helps.

Also, do not "apt-get autoclean" at this time.

Radeon SI cards unfortunately do not have hardware acceleration on PowerPC Linux, including Fienix. Your system should not be less responsive than it was on Ubuntu though (unless you're running Ubuntu from an internal drive and Fienix off a USB or something like that). Does Fienix seem noticeably slower than Ubuntu?

-Casey
Thank you. Editing .bashrc did the trick :-)

It can be me imagining but it feels slower than Ubuntu. I will try some more tests to see.

Thank you once again. :-)
X5000 :-)
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote:Above the video you should see a button with the word "Get" in purple. That downloads the video for you.
But with what program...? At least the www browsers did not show that kind of button.

BTW, when I tested to run 'online' a) Youtube videos b) Livestream from the National broadcast company, I got these results:

Arctic Fox: a/b) showed video, but no sound (the same Arctic Fox installation used via Ubuntu 16.04.5 had both video and sound!)

Firefox ESR: a) was not able to load video at all, wait-pointer stayed forever b) was not able to load video, error message: "something went wrong..."

Firefox 47: Worked with a) and b), both video and sound, but was somewhat sluggish compared to Arctic Fox
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

I've been playing around with the video editing performance of my X5000 and Fienix.

Here is the final product: Fienix Intro Video

X5000 does a very nice, speedy job with MPEG-4 Part 2 encoding, completing the encode job in faster than real-time (the original video was just over 6 minutes long and was encoded in 4 minutes 47 seconds). This makes sense because the MPEG-4 Part 2 format makes heavy use of floating point instructions, and the FPU in the e5500 is known to be a particularly strong performer, but I was still pleasantly surprised with the performance.

MPEG-4 H.264 took over twice as long to encode, still not bad, but not really impressive. That is to be expected as H.264 data structures are geared more towards SIMD than Floating Point.

Results:
h.264 - constant framerate - superfast: 16 min
h.264 - variable framerate - superfast: 10 min 47 sec
MPEG-4 - variable framerate - QP: 4 min 47 sec

P.S. Kdenlive and Flowblade both run very nicely on Fienix. Flowblade is already in the repository. I have to finish packaging Kdenlive but it will be available soon.

-Casey
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Any chance we can see a video of kdenlive and flowblade running?

TJ
caseycullen wrote:I've been playing around with the video editing performance of my X5000 and Fienix.

Here is the final product: Fienix Intro Video

X5000 does a very nice, speedy job with MPEG-4 Part 2 encoding, completing the encode job in faster than real-time (the original video was just over 6 minutes long and was encoded in 4 minutes 47 seconds). This makes sense because the MPEG-4 Part 2 format makes heavy use of floating point instructions, and the FPU in the e5500 is known to be a particularly strong performer, but I was still pleasantly surprised with the performance.

MPEG-4 H.264 took over twice as long to encode, still not bad, but not really impressive. That is to be expected as H.264 data structures are geared more towards SIMD than Floating Point.

Results:
h.264 - constant framerate - superfast: 16 min
h.264 - variable framerate - superfast: 10 min 47 sec
MPEG-4 - variable framerate - QP: 4 min 47 sec

P.S. Kdenlive and Flowblade both run very nicely on Fienix. Flowblade is already in the repository. I have to finish packaging Kdenlive but it will be available soon.

-Casey
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Are you using Fienix?
Open Arctic Fox. Click Tools > Add-ons. This will open the Add-ons Manager.
Click on "Extensions". Make sure you see "Greasemonkey".
Click on "Plugins". Make sure you see "VLC Web Plugin" and it is set to "Always Activate".
Click on "User Scripts". My guess is that you do not have "ViewTube" and "ViewTube+" installed.
If you do not see ViewTube and ViewTube+ under User Scripts, go to http://sebaro.pro/viewtube/.
On the top of the page you will see download icons for both of these user scripts. When you click on them it should bring up a dialog where you can click Install. Do that for both ViewTube and ViewTube+.
Let me know if you have any issues.

-Casey
Roland wrote:But with what program...? At least the www browsers did not show that kind of button.

BTW, when I tested to run 'online' a) Youtube videos b) Livestream from the National broadcast company, I got these results:

Arctic Fox: a/b) showed video, but no sound (the same Arctic Fox installation used via Ubuntu 16.04.5 had both video and sound!)

Firefox ESR: a) was not able to load video at all, wait-pointer stayed forever b) was not able to load video, error message: "something went wrong..."

Firefox 47: Worked with a) and b), both video and sound, but was somewhat sluggish compared to Arctic Fox
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Hi Christian,
Please try to install OpenSSH server again. I think it should work this time.
-Casey
xeno74 wrote:Hi Casey,

StreamTuner2 works! Many thanks! :-)

I wasn't able to install the OpenSSH server because OpenSSH SFTP isn't installable and the OpenSSH client is too old.

Code: Select all

openssh-server:
  Depends: openssh-client (=1:7.9p1-5) but 1:7.9p1-4 is to be installed
 Depends: openssh-sftp-server but it is not going to be installed

Code: Select all

openssh-sftp-server:
  Depends: openssh-client (=1:7.9p1-5) but 1:7.9p1-4 is to be installed
Cheers,
Christian
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Arctic Fox has been upgraded to 12.9.14 in the Fienix repository. It has many bugfixes and updates, and some webpage rendering issues have been fixed (such as github). Please test the latest, greatest Arctic Fox :)
-Casey
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi Casey,

I was able to install Arctic Fox and the openSSH server today. Arctic Fox works and I can connect Fienix via SSH. Thank you! :-)

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.