CPU usage

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

CPU usage

Post by kilaueabart »

This morning I left my System Monitor on, Resources tab, while I did other things, like email. But I frequently note that even when I don't have anything happening that I know of, the CPUs spend a lot of time in the 50 to 100% range, as per the screen dump. (Right now as I type this and make the computer actually do something they are both mostly down in the 30 to 60% range.)
SysMonResources.png
Is this quite normal? Some time prior to making the photo I had been trying to open some videos on Google Drive and it had been frustratingly slow, typical of my Firefox. It makes me wonder if something is wrong with the app. Firefox is also constantly reporting a script running and asking whether to stop it or let it continue. Normal?
xeno74

Re: CPU usage

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:This morning I left my System Monitor on, Resources tab, while I did other things, like email. But I frequently note that even when I don't have anything happening that I know of, the CPUs spend a lot of time in the 50 to 100% range, as per the screen dump. (Right now as I type this and make the computer actually do something they are both mostly down in the 30 to 60% range.)
SysMonResources.png
Is this quite normal? Some time prior to making the photo I had been trying to open some videos on Google Drive and it had been frustratingly slow, typical of my Firefox. It makes me wonder if something is wrong with the app. Firefox is also constantly reporting a script running and asking whether to stop it or let it continue. Normal?
Kilaueabart,

I will check my X5000 because of the Idle CPU load.

Thanks for reporting!

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

If you click on the "Processes" tab, and then organize the list by "% CPU", you should be able to see what processes are taking up the most load. You may have an indexing process running during idle time.
-Casey
kilaueabart wrote:This morning I left my System Monitor on, Resources tab, while I did other things, like email. But I frequently note that even when I don't have anything happening that I know of, the CPUs spend a lot of time in the 50 to 100% range, as per the screen dump. (Right now as I type this and make the computer actually do something they are both mostly down in the 30 to 60% range.)
SysMonResources.png
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote:If you click on the "Processes" tab, and then organize the list by "% CPU", you should be able to see what processes are taking up the most load. You may have an indexing process running during idle time.
-Casey
When I first clicked resources today it went a couple minutes mostly in the 3 to 13% range! I had noticed yesterday that the "% CPU" column was about all "0" and everything "Sleeping." Today I tried clicking on the "% CPU" rectangle with the little arrowhead, expecting some higher than "0" to pop up, but that has no effect whatsoever! But if I scroll down I find two things using CPU: mate-system-monitor, mostly 6 or 7, and Firefox, bouncing around between 30 and 36. The CPUs are now both up and down in the 30 to 80% range.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote:Today I tried clicking on the "% CPU" rectangle with the little arrowhead, expecting some higher than "0" to pop up, but that has no effect whatsoever! But if I scroll down I find two things using CPU: mate-system-monitor, mostly 6 or 7, and Firefox, bouncing around between 30 and 36. The CPUs are now both up and down in the 30 to 80% range.
Maybe you reversed the sort order? Try clicking on it once more.

Best regards,

Niels
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

nbache wrote:
kilaueabart wrote:Today I tried clicking on the "% CPU" rectangle with the little arrowhead, expecting some higher than "0" to pop up, but that has no effect whatsoever! But if I scroll down I find two things using CPU: mate-system-monitor, mostly 6 or 7, and Firefox, bouncing around between 30 and 36. The CPUs are now both up and down in the 30 to 80% range.
Maybe you reversed the sort order? Try clicking on it once more.
I can't find any way to change the sort order, so I'm not sure about that. Nothing like that in Preferences. Clicking and reclicking produce minor variations. wnck-applet is at the very bottom if I scroll down now.
proc1.png
proc2.png