Live stream resolution/speed with Amiga Linux

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Roland

Live stream resolution/speed with Amiga Linux

Post by Roland »

I had the opportunity to test shortly a fast net connection (15-20 mbs) with my X5000. To my dissappointment live stream/on-line videos were running very slowly! I could use only 240p, anything higher was not running fluently... I was testing with Ubuntu 16.04 and Mate Remix 0.9, and the Firefox versions available for them. For comparison, videos in the same format could be run from hard disk at 720p without problems (VLC, MPlayer etc). I have 8 GB Ram and Radeon HD 5450, and a 1280x1024 monitor.

What resolutions other users have been able to use at full speed for live streams? Is there some bottleneck in my system, should I e.g. download some extra modules for Firefox...?

NOTE: I'm now NOT speaking at all of Youtube but livestreams from broadcast companies! They cannot usually be preloaded to hard disk, thus watching them on-line is the only option. They do not seem to work, either, with VLC, Mplayer or other separate video programs, even though those programs often have a live-strem option in their menus. Only way is to use a browser like Firefox.
- Roland -
caseycullen

Re: Live stream resolution/speed with Amiga Linux

Post by caseycullen »

Hi Roland,
I think the problem you're running into is that hardware video acceleration for Firefox on PowerPC doesn't work. We get around this using the VLC Plugin with Greasemonkey, ViewTube, and ViewTube+. ViewTube is primarily for YouTube, ViewTube+ supports quite a few other streaming platforms. Do you have those 4 items installed?
-Casey
Roland wrote:I had the opportunity to test shortly a fast net connection (15-20 mbs) with my X5000. To my dissappointment live stream/on-line videos were running very slowly! I could use only 240p, anything higher was not running fluently... I was testing with Ubuntu 16.04 and Mate Remix 0.9, and the Firefox versions available for them. For comparison, videos in the same format could be run from hard disk at 720p without problems (VLC, MPlayer etc). I have 8 GB Ram and Radeon HD 5450, and a 1280x1024 monitor.

What resolutions other users have been able to use at full speed for live streams? Is there some bottleneck in my system, should I e.g. download some extra modules for Firefox...?

NOTE: I'm now NOT speaking at all of Youtube but livestreams from broadcast companies! They cannot usually be preloaded to hard disk, thus watching them on-line is the only option. They do not seem to work, either, with VLC, Mplayer or other separate video programs, even though those programs often have a live-strem option in their menus. Only way is to use a browser like Firefox.
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote:I think the problem you're running into is that hardware video acceleration for Firefox on PowerPC doesn't work. We get around this using the VLC Plugin with Greasemonkey, ViewTube, and ViewTube+. ViewTube is primarily for YouTube, ViewTube+ supports quite a few other streaming platforms. Do you have those 4 items installed?
You must be right... Thanks for informing me! I have not installed those items myself, unless some of them are included in Mate Remix 0.9 (which has a lot of stuff I have not tested yet). Is that VLC Plugin specific for each of those programs? Do we need a customized version of it (without Altivec) like with the stand-alone VLC?

PS. From where can those mentioned programs be downloaded? I was not able to find them via the usual software installers for Ubuntu.
- Roland -
Roland

Post by Roland »

I was able to install a plugin named 'Play in VLC' for Firefox (Ubuntu 16.04). It seems to recognize the livestream/video signal I'm using as shows it's icon after the www-address of the source, but clicking it brings on screen just a small white box, like a non-working requester... I have Christians VLC-player installed. How to get this plugin to work...?

In Mate Remix 0.9 there is preinstalled a 'VLC Plugin', but it did not seem have any effect, even if there is also the working VLC player installed.

Any advice would be wellcome!
- Roland -