No file system could mount root

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

No file system could mount root

Post by kilaueabart »

I solved my problem where "fatload usb 0:1 1000000 uImage-4.18" couldn't read uImage-4.18 when I was trying to boot Remix. I finally realized it was looking for the file in the same place it got the kernel for MATE 16.04, so I dragged copies of 4.18 and the dtb file over to the partition I have the 16.04 stuff in. Now it reads them just fine. Then "bootm 1000000 - 1c00000" gets a lot of activity, but unfortunately it ends with a Kernel panic, "No file system could mount root" and rebooting in 180 seconds.

I am still able to boot Remix. I start with the command line "set bootargs root=/dev/sdc2" and follow with "run ubuntu," the script I boot 16.04 with. Somehow the setenv bootargs command in that script doesn't overrule the one that set root to /dev/sdc2, and the rest of the script loads the kernel and dtb intended for 16.04. That demonstrates that the Remix .img is still OK. So what could my problem be?
xeno74

Re: No file system could mount root

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:I start with the command line "set bootargs root=/dev/sdc2"
You can setup a new start variable for the Remix:

Code: Select all

X5000> setenv remix 'setenv bootargs root=/dev/sdc2 rootdelay=5 ; fatload usb 0:1 1000000 uImage-4.18 ; fatload usb 0:1 2000000 cyrus.dtb ; bootm 1000000 - 2000000'

saveenv
Boot Remix:

run remix
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote:You can setup a new start variable for the Remix:

X5000> setenv remix 'setenv bootargs root=/dev/sdc2 rootdelay=5 ; fatload usb 0:1 1000000 uImage-4.18 ; fatload usb 0:1 2000000 cyrus.dtb ; bootm 1000000 - 2000000'
That had occurred to me this morning and I tried it first thing. But I still end up with that Panic: "No file system could mount root ... unknown-block(8, 34)" I rebooted and tried it the way that had worked yesterday, setting root to sdc2, then running "ubuntu." Today that didn't work! Slightly different ending: unknown-block(0, 0). I was very much afraid that straight "run ubuntu" wasn't going to work anymore either. But to my vast relief, here I am.

Wait now! I see a big difference between what I did and what you suggest. Instead of "setenv" I used "editenv," and typed the rest in the new line that came up. And all I have before fatload is "usb reset," which you don't bother with. I'm a bit puzzled.

When I looked at my "ubuntu" script, to copy from, I was surprised to find no mention of bootargs. I'm even more puzzled. How in the world does Uboot know where to find the .img file for MATE 16.04?

AFTER REBOOT I tried another experiment before trying yours. I entered the commands to run 16.04 one by one, instead of "run ubuntu," and I changed the first fatload to load uImage-4.18 instead of uImage-cyrus. I got the same Kernel Panic. Can it be that my download of 4.18 didn't come out right? Could that cause a problem mounting root? I'm going to download it again and see what happens.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Weirder and weirder!

The replacement of uImage-4.18 had no effect. I still end up with the same kernel panic. After I unarchive the download, I grab it with cursor and slide it into UBUNTU, which I believe is the desktop equivalent of /dev/sdb2. Is that a bad way to do it? I originally tried cp, but I get "cp: failed to access '/dev/sdc1/': Not a directory". (I'm not really sure about UBUNTU=/dev/sdb2. I also have a mysterious red icon marked "SD" and labeled "2.9 GB Volume" containing the same kernels and .dtb files. How can I find their true identities?)

This morning I experimented, doing a fatload of both of the kernels and both of the .dtb files here and there in RAM. At least that's where I assume they go without harming anything, but maybe I'm wrong on that point. In any event, since then "run ubuntu" no longer works. After a long while the black screen is replaced by a page of text and near the top it says, 'VFS: Cannot open root device "sdc2" on unknown-block(0,0): error -6'.

At the bottom, "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)".

I am still able to get Remix up, the same old way: setenv bootargs root=/dev/sdc2 rootdelay=5 ; run ubuntu. I can imagine whipping Remix into very usable shape. I find that I can access my 16.04 Home files from Places > MATE. I suppose I could just install the apps I want and copy over the data for them, things like Scribus and GnuCash.