What happened to Thunderbird?

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Re: What happened to Thunderbird?

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote: You only need to copy the image with 'dd' to a partition on your USB flash drive.
That is essentially what I did, but I had attempted to make one partition on the drive by formatting the whole thing. I think I went FAT32. I'm still amazed at what I found on the drive after the copy.
Create two partitions on your USB flash drive. A small FAT16 boot partition and a big partition without a file system. Copy the dtb file and the Linux kernel to the first small FAT16 boot partition. After that copy the MATE PowerPC Remix img with 'dd' to the second big partition.
OK, this is obviously where I went wrong. I should be able to fix the flash easily enough, but I don't know where to get the dtb file and the kernel. My misunderstanding was that they were included in the .img.
I guess an up-to-date kernel is easy enough to find, but I haven't noticed any dtb files being offered for test runs.
Maybe I'm supposed to use the same old cyrus_5020.dtb?
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Kilaueabart,

There are some dtb files in the kernel 4.18 package.

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Well, now, that was interesting!

Pretty sure I got the USB drive set to go, so rebooted and entered the setenv bootargs command (leaving off the mem= and radeon.pcie stuff), and then

Code: Select all

fatload usb 0:1 1000000 uImage-4.18
Nuts! Got a message about usb 0 being bad, or something like that.

So I went back to the Uboot command line to "run ubuntu," bring 16.04 back up, and find out what was wrong. And up came this weird screen with a black-and-white Amiga ball at the bottom and something about "Remix."

Well, there was a Firefox available so I sent to Hyperion's forums, but couldn't do anything there because I don't remember my Hyperion password. I had to come over to Odyssey on the OS4 side to update this thread. But while firefox was up I tried my email, and sure enough, it works under the newer version of Firefox. That was the point of upgrading to Remix. :)

I think I know what happened. I had about three icons on my Ubuntu Desktop with .dtb and uImage-cyrus files in the storage units they pointed to. There was one which I was certain had nothing to do with booting Ubuntu, so I deleted it. Wrong move!

So back I go to see what I can do about this. I'm pretty sure I should NOT use my 16.04.01 Backup files to recover the stuff I want in my Ubuntu, right?

OK, now I'm really puzzled! This time "run ubuntu" brought up 16.04! Well at least I can look up my passwords before I try Remix again.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Back in Remix 2017, still trying to figure out what went wrong and wronger. At least I can get on the Message Boards from here now.

To get back, I started again with those commands, setting root to /dev/sdc2, then failing to fatload from usb 0:1, and finally @run ubuntu.@ (Oops! quote marks are back at Shift^2 again! I've fixed that before and will again. Soon.)

Apparently the setenv command in Uboot's @ubuntu@ script doesn't overwrite /dev/sdc2 with /dev/sdb1. (I think that's where I boot 16.04 from--I'll check next time I get to Uboot.) It turns out I am using kernel 4.15.9, not 4.18, according to System Monitor. If usb 0 is "bad USB address," where should I fatload from? I guess maybe I'll try 1:1 and see what happens.

Current screen is odd. Sort of breaks in color about 4/5 of the way across, and in addition to the little waste basket in the lower right corner, I have a big one, labeled "Wastebasket," just about where the color changes.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

The problem with USB 0:1 was that I had failed to do a usb reset. After a reset, it changes its complaint to "cannot read uImage-4.18," "cannot read cyrus.dtb."

I have no idea why those are found to be unreadable. I cp'ed them from the unarchived download to /dev/sdc1. They are now in what Desktop shows as a "1.1 GB Volume" with a thumb drive icon. If I click on the icon, "uImage-4.18" and "cyrus.dtb" are plain to view. The holder of those files is still known as /dev/sdc1 to GParted. And they are also to be found in /media/amigaone/5913-1FA6.

Why can't Uboot read them?