Spectre660's Linux downloads for the X5000

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Roland

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the X5000

Post by Roland »

Spectre660 wrote:@ Roland

Set up your U-Boot variables (Change the /dev/sda8 in the example to point to your Debian partition)

Code: Select all

setenv usb1 "usb reset;fatload usb 0:1 1000000 uImage-cyrus;fatload usb 0:1 1c00000 cyrus_5020.dtb;bootm 1000000 - 1c00000"
setenv debian1 "setenv 'bootargs root=/dev/sda8 rootdelay=1 mem=3500M' ;run usb1"
saveenv
You only need to do the setup above once.
From now on to start Debian from the U-Boot shell

run debian1
Thanks... I tried that, but the booting process stopped again after the "Loading Device Tree... OK" -message. I tried three different kernels: 4.4.8, 4.9.0 and 4.12.0, but this time even the latest one did not help. I tested also an Ubuntu 16.04 installation (using the alternative installation script on Live USB), but again the same problem...

I have the installations on a USB drive: kernels etc. on a FAT32 partition, and Debian/Ubuntu on their own Ext partitions. Is there any other possible source for this problem than the kernels? I have the paths of USB partitions in format 'root=/dev/sdb2' (or sdb3). Is that correct? At least when I made the installation that drive was recognized as 'sdb' (sda is defined for a Sata drive I have in my X5000 for AmigaOS), and I do not have other USB drives connected.
- Roland -
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

copy uImage-cyrus-12.0-jm and cyrus_5020.dtb to the usb drive partion 1 .
delete any old file named uImage-cyrus
rename uImage-cyrus-12.0-jm to uImage-cyrus
and try again

Roland wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:@ Roland

Set up your U-Boot variables (Change the /dev/sda8 in the example to point to your Debian partition)

setenv usb1 "usb reset;fatload usb 0:1 1000000 uImage-cyrus;fatload usb 0:1 1c00000 cyrus_5020.dtb;bootm 1000000 - 1c00000"
setenv debian1 "setenv 'bootargs root=/dev/sda8 rootdelay=1 mem=3500M' ;run usb1"
saveenv
You only need to do the setup above once.
From now on to start Debian from the U-Boot shell

run debian1
Thanks... I tried that, but the booting process stopped again after the "Loading Device Tree... OK" -message. I tried three different kernels: 4.4.8, 4.9.0 and 4.12.0, but this time even the latest one did not help. I tested also an Ubuntu 16.04 installation (using the alternative installation script on Live USB), but again the same problem...

I have the installations on a USB drive: kernels etc. on a FAT32 partition, and Debian/Ubuntu on their own Ext partitions. Is there any other possible source for this problem than the kernels? I have the paths of USB partitions in format 'root=/dev/sdb2' (or sdb3). Is that correct? At least when I made the installation that drive was recognized as 'sdb' (sda is defined for a Sata drive I have in my X5000 for AmigaOS), and I do not have other USB drives connected.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Roland

Post by Roland »

Spectre660 wrote:copy uImage-cyrus-12.0-jm and cyrus_5020.dtb to the usb drive partion 1 .
delete any old file named uImage-cyrus
rename uImage-cyrus-12.0-jm to uImage-cyrus
and try again.
Do you mean the FAT32 partition? They are already there, I copied them there after I created that partition manually (installer refused to create it), before even doing the Linux installations on the other partitions... But should it also be attached/mounted to some point, or are there any flags needed for any of these partitions?
- Roland -
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

@Roland

You may still seem to be loading another kernel and not my 4.12.0.
not finding the linux partition would not stop the kernel from booting.
If you are booting from a USB drive and not a hard drive change the rootdelay=1 to rootdelay=10
Roland

Post by Roland »

Spectre660 wrote:You may still seem to be loading another kernel and not my 4.12.0.
If you are booting from a USB drive and not a hard drive change the rootdelay=1 to rootdelay=10
No, the kernel is indeed the 4.12.0 as the correct version is shown on the screen when loading :-).

But I found a solution, even though I do not quite understand it... For some reason, the (sub)script organisation you use does not work in my system (I checked several times that there were no typos). Instead, I tried this kind of organisation:

s1: setenv bootargs...
s2: fatload ....
s3: bootm ...
Linuxboot: usb reset; run s1 s2 s3

I do not understand why, but this worked in my case both with Debian and Ubuntu! Can you imagine any explanation...? Some obscure timing issue...?

I was now able to load Ubuntu succesfully to the dektop, but loading of Debian stopped after this message:

[OK] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes
_ (cursor was here blinking here, but nothing happened)

Any idea how to get further...?
- Roland -
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

At the moment no .

A description of my System .
My Linux partitions are on the same hard drive as AmigaOS 4.1 FE update 1.
The hard drive is a hybrid SATA drive (2TB).
I boot the kernels from either the micro SDcard, a USB thumb drive or via tftp.
My DVD drive is not currently connected to power or SATA .
Second SATA port is conected to front panel ESATA. No drive currently attached .
I do not have a PCI SATA card installed.
Roland wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:You may still seem to be loading another kernel and not my 4.12.0.
No, the kernel is indeed the 4.12.0 as the correct version is shown on the screen when loading :-).

But I found a solution, even though I do not quite understand it... For some reason, the (sub)script organisation you use does not work in my system (I checked several times that there were no typos). Instead, I tried this kind of organisation:

s1: setenv bootargs...
s2: fatload ....
s3: bootm ...
Linuxboot: usb reset; run s1 s2 s3

I do not understand why, but this worked in my case both with Debian and Ubuntu! Can you imagine any explanation...? Some obscure timing issue...?

I was now able to load Ubuntu succesfully to the dektop, but loading of Debian stopped after this message:

Any idea how to get further...?
Roland

Post by Roland »

Roland wrote:I was now able to load Ubuntu succesfully to the dektop, but loading of Debian stopped after this message:

I made a new Debian installation, this time without activating a network connection. With this modification the boot process advanced futher, but ended into the 'emergency mode' (no graphical desktop) and a Bash prompt. What should I try next...? Is it possible to load from Bash an alternative desktop? I installed both Xfce and Mate, in addition to the standard Debian one. Or should I do a new installation with only one desktop, other than the default?
- Roland -
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

@Roland

The error that your are getting is due to something not installing properly.
(This may be with the DVD install and not with the net install)
apparently the usual culprits are the xorg or firmware

get a console with

Control+alt+F2
Login as root then

apt-get -f install
apt-get update
apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-video-ati
reboot and try again.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

@Roland

I am seeing your problem with Debian Unstable (Buster/Sid) with an Oland card.
Oland card boots ok on Debian Jessie and Ubuntu-Mate 16.04
All 3 boot ok with a Radeon HD 6570 card .