Spectre660's Linux downloads for the X5000

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the X5000

Postby xenic » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:24 pm

@Spectre660
I downloaded your install script and have been attempting to install linux for several days now. Apparently, usb 0:1 isn't the usb port on the front panel of my case. I had to try usb ports on the back of my X5000 until I found the port that gets recognized by the command to start the installation script. I was then able to start the script.

When I get this message: "This partitioner doesn't have information about the default type of partition tables on your archetecture.", I select the default choice to continue to the partitioner. Initially I got a partitioner window that said: "Starting up the partitioner. Scanning disks... 45%" and just remains there indefinately. Finally, I removed my second hard disk from my SATA card and was able to get to the partitioning window. When I select the partition that I cleared out for Linux, I always end up with "no root filesystem is defined". Is the partition I choose supposed to already be formatted for Linux?

It's probably some stupid mistake I'm making but I'm stuck for now.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic
 
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:06 am

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the X5000

Postby Spectre660 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:29 am

@Xenic

It should not matter what USB port the drive is connected to once the formatting is correct it should appear as Device 0: .
Unless you have another fat32 formatted storage device attached via USB .

Check the USB devices from U-boot shell with.
Code: Select all
usb reset
usb storage


for the manual partitioning option you have to select the formatting option ,partition type and specify that the partition is to be used as the root partition.and then format the partition. all option can be selected from toggle options in the various menus.

If the space on the usb drive is the only free space that you have on all your drives you can use the option
"Guided - use the largest contiguous free space"
and it will automate the formatting options for you, defaulting to partition type ext4 and formatting the partition for you after accept the options .
See the option in the partitioning menu.
Menu image in the link below
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=3776&start=140#p42954
Spectre660
 
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the X5000

Postby Spectre660 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:42 pm

My version of an X5000 4.14.0 Kernel .

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/39nl ... ar.gz?dl=0
Last edited by Spectre660 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spectre660
 
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the X5000

Postby xenic » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:23 pm

Spectre660 wrote:If the space on the usb drive is the only free space that you have on all your drives you can use the option
"Guided - use the largest contiguous free space"
and it will automate the formatting options for you, defaulting to partition type ext4 and formatting the partition for you after accept the options .

I forgot that I had backed up and cleared a partition on my hard disk so the installer ended up installing ubuntu partitions in the cleared space on my hard-disk. However, I'm not sure what I need to change in the bootargs to point to. The only info I saw during the installation was:
Partition #11 of SCSI2 (0,0,0) (sda) as ext4
Partition #12 of SCSI2 (0.0.0) (sda) as swap

Should I change /dev/sdb3 to /dev/11 in the bootargs? Once I have the right partition I think I'm ready to boot ubuntu. Thanks for your help.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic
 
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:06 am

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the X5000

Postby Spectre660 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:00 pm

xenic wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:If the space on the usb drive is the only free space that you have on all your drives you can use the option
"Guided - use the largest contiguous free space"
and it will automate the formatting options for you, defaulting to partition type ext4 and formatting the partition for you after accept the options .

I forgot that I had backed up and cleared a partition on my hard disk so the installer ended up installing ubuntu partitions in the cleared space on my hard-disk. However, I'm not sure what I need to change in the bootargs to point to. The only info I saw during the installation was:
Partition #11 of SCSI2 (0,0,0) (sda) as ext4
Partition #12 of SCSI2 (0.0.0) (sda) as swap

Should I change /dev/sdb3 to /dev/11 in the bootargs? Once I have the right partition I think I'm ready to boot ubuntu. Thanks for your help.


Should be /dev/sda11

That should get you going.
Note for the future that there is a limit to the partition number that linux can boot from on a RDB drive.
I think that Linux can't boot a partition after the 13th or 14th one.
You are welcome. Enjoy.
Spectre660
 
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the X5000

Postby xenic » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:27 am

Spectre660 wrote:Should be /dev/sda11

That should get you going.
Note for the future that there is a limit to the partition number that linux can boot from on a RDB drive.
I think that Linux can't boot a partition after the 13th or 14th one.
You are welcome. Enjoy.

O.K. I have it booting now. Not sure how to use it yet so I'll need to get some docs to read. However, I do need to know one thing now. I assume it's not appropriate to just turn the computer off like I can with OS4. Is there a shutdown procedure for ubuntu??

Once again, thanks very much for making ubuntu available to novices like me and helping to get it working.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic
 
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:06 am

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the X5000

Postby Spectre660 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:40 am

@ xenic

Shutdown or restart options are accessed by clicking the icon at the top right hand corner of your screen.
Spectre660
 
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the X5000

Postby Spectre660 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:21 am

Todays project. With Ubuntu Mate 16.04 .

Radeon 9250 pci with 3D Acceleration under Linux.
Faster than llvmpipe with a Radeon SI card.
Blender GUI runs with this .
My Radeon R7-250 stays in the X5000 and works under AmgaOS 4.1.
Configuration is using 1 monitor.
Radeon R-7250 connect to HDMI and Radeon 9250 connected to DVI .
Initial display is on HDMI then switches to DVI when xorg loads.

Needs my new version of the 4.14.0 kernel with the firmware for the old Radeon 7000 and 9250 pci cards .
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/39nl ... ar.gz?dl=0
And the modified xorg.config as displayed in image #2
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ryat ... .conf?dl=0

Edit:
Or rename the xorg.conf to xorg.conf.bak and boot without an xorg.conf (Might be the best option)
Attachments
S6BRNM~J.PNG
SS3833~6.PNG
Last edited by Spectre660 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectre660
 
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the X5000

Postby xeno74 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:15 am

Hi Julian,

Very interesting and impressive! Great that you support the old Radeon 7000 and 9250 pci cards. Well done! :-)

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
xeno74
 
Posts: 4394
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 am

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the X5000

Postby Spectre660 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:57 pm

Thanks Christian.

Only problem at the moment is that sometimes the firmware for the 9250 is does not load properly and it reverts to the llvmpipe.

xeno74 wrote:Hi Julian,

Very interesting and impressive! Great that you support the old Radeon 7000 and 9250 pci cards. Well done! :-)

Cheers,
Christian
Spectre660
 
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

PreviousNext

Return to Platform: AmigaOne X5000 - Linux Only

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests