Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Postby caseycullen » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:39 pm

I had similar issues once, quite a while ago, but upgrading mesa resolved it. Can you try building mesa from source and see if that fixes the problem for you? If your build works we can use your build instead. Otherwise I can try building a new version sometime next week.
-Casey

xeno74 wrote:
caseycullen wrote:I haven't had similar graphical issues. Does that happen often?


Yes, it happens very often.
caseycullen
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:12 am
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Postby caseycullen » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:42 pm

I'm still using a version 4 kernel. I'll upgrade the kernel and see if that has any effect. Otherwise if you have a chance to build mesa from source we can see if it fixes the issue.
-Casey
xeno74 wrote:
caseycullen wrote:I haven't had similar graphical issues. Does that happen often?


Yes, it happens very often.
caseycullen
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:12 am
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Postby xeno74 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:14 am

Casey,

I will compile the latest Mesa at the weekend.

Thanks,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
xeno74
 
Posts: 4883
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 am

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Postby xeno74 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:33 am

Hi Casey,

I tested Mesa 19.0.0 today. It works with Fienix but it doesn't solve the graphical issues. I figured out, that Marco with GPU compositor and Compiz are responsible for the graphical issues. I selected Marco without compositor and this solved the issue.

Image

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
xeno74
 
Posts: 4883
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 am

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Postby xeno74 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:41 am

Casey,

Marco with adaptive compositor works too. Only the Compton GPU compositor and Compiz are responsible for the graphical issues.

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
xeno74
 
Posts: 4883
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 am

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Postby kilaueabart » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:00 am

caseycullen wrote:I've released a Fienix-specific update to Arctic Fox (appended ".2" to the general release) that fixes certain issues with how widgets were displayed on some websites.
kilaueabart - please update Arctic Fox and let me know if this issue is resolved for you.
-Casey

Sorry to be so late getting to this.
The fix works for the page in the picture, so I assume my problem is cured.
A while after writing the above, I happened to try the site with Firefox EXR. It turns out it is only fixed for Arctic Fox! (Which is just fine, of course.)
By the way, is having to log in to every site that Firefox would do automatically just a price we pay for the other improvements, such as speed and being able to read text gadgets?
User avatar
kilaueabart
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:36 am

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Postby caseycullen » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:08 pm

Hi Christian,
Could you please try to downgrade Mesa to one of your previous versions that you know to function appropriately?
Compton and Compiz both use hardware acceleration so an issue with Mesa could affect them both.
-Casey

xeno74 wrote:Casey,

Marco with adaptive compositor works too. Only the Compton GPU compositor and Compiz are responsible for the graphical issues.

Cheers,
Christian
caseycullen
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:12 am
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Postby xeno74 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:41 am

caseycullen wrote:Hi Christian,
Could you please try to downgrade Mesa to one of your previous versions that you know to function appropriately?
Compton and Compiz both use hardware acceleration so an issue with Mesa could affect them both.
-Casey


Hi Casey,

I installed Mesa 18.2.2 today. Unfortunately it doesn't solve the graphical issues.

After that I installed Mesa 18.2.6-1 from the directory /var/cache/apt/archives/.

Code: Select all
export PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin


Please add /sbin and /usr/sbin to the PATH environment variable. Thanks. :-)

Code: Select all
# dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libgl1-mesa-dri_18.2.6-1_powerpc.deb


Code: Select all
# dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libgl1-mesa-glx_18.2.6-1_powerpc.deb


Unfortunately the downgrade to Mesa 18.2.6-1 doesn't solve the graphical issues.

BTW, the window decoration of Compiz doesn't work. I tried to install compiz-gnome but without success because it needs an older compiz-core package.

Code: Select all
compiz-gnome:
  Depends: compiz-core (=2:0.8.14-3) but 2:0.8.16.1-10 is to be installed


I downloaded the package compiz-gnome_0.8.16.1-10_powerpc.deb from ftp.kr.debian.org and after that I was able to install it with

Code: Select all
dpkg -i compiz-gnome_0.8.16.1-10_powerpc.deb


And then the window decoration works. :-)

Screenshot of Fienix with Compiz:

Image

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
xeno74
 
Posts: 4883
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 am

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Postby caseycullen » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:21 pm

Hi Christian,
Thanks for the information! I use Marco/Compton so I didn't know there was a problem with Compiz. Does the version of Compiz you installed fix the display distortion problem as well?
-Casey

xeno74 wrote:Hi Casey,

I installed Mesa 18.2.2 today. Unfortunately it doesn't solve the graphical issues.

After that I installed Mesa 18.2.6-1 from the directory /var/cache/apt/archives/.

Code: Select all
export PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin


Please add /sbin and /usr/sbin to the PATH environment variable. Thanks. :-)

Code: Select all
# dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libgl1-mesa-dri_18.2.6-1_powerpc.deb


Code: Select all
# dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libgl1-mesa-glx_18.2.6-1_powerpc.deb


Unfortunately the downgrade to Mesa 18.2.6-1 doesn't solve the graphical issues.

BTW, the window decoration of Compiz doesn't work. I tried to install compiz-gnome but without success because it needs an older compiz-core package.

Code: Select all
compiz-gnome:
  Depends: compiz-core (=2:0.8.14-3) but 2:0.8.16.1-10 is to be installed


I downloaded the package compiz-gnome_0.8.16.1-10_powerpc.deb from ftp.kr.debian.org and after that I was able to install it with

Code: Select all
dpkg -i compiz-gnome_0.8.16.1-10_powerpc.deb


And then the window decoration works. :-)

Screenshot of Fienix with Compiz:

Image

Cheers,
Christian
caseycullen
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:12 am
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Postby xeno74 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:35 pm

caseycullen wrote:Hi Christian,
Thanks for the information! I use Marco/Compton so I didn't know there was a problem with Compiz. Does the version of Compiz you installed fix the display distortion problem as well?
-Casey


Hi Casey,

It only fixes the window decoration issue. The display distortion still exists. I think the issue come from another Debian package.

BTW, your wallpapers are great! :-) Thanks a lot! :-)

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
xeno74
 
Posts: 4883
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 am

PreviousNext

Return to Platform: AmigaOne X5000 - Linux Only

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest