Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by JohnFante »

@caseycullen. Thank you for this great new distro :-)

Just a quick question: Is it possible to enable wifi in it? I use the built-in ethernet port in OS4 and a wifi dongle (supported in Remix) for linux. I am not the big Debian wizz so a bit unsure how to enable wifi and get online.

Thank you in advance!
X5000 :-)
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I really appreciate your kind and detailed help, Casey.
caseycullen wrote: 1) I haven't experienced this or heard it from anyone else yet. If you can include the picture it might help. What video card are you using?
I thought I had posted the picture, but apparently not, so here:
IMG_20181211_143335297_BURST001(1).jpg
Hard to get good photo with light behind me reflected. This screen comes up, then a text cursor right in the middle. If I use the mouse, it turns to arrow and moves around. Apparently the best thing for me to do is wait a bit and hit Enter. The screen will turn black and a log-in thing will appear.

I guess this is my video card: Cape Verde PRO [Radeon HD 7750/8740 / R7 250E]
2) The icons will slide out when you place your mouse on the center-left side of your desktop. This lets you launch common apps without having to open any menus or go to the desktop.
Aha! I didn't realize what I was doing that brought them up.
"Many important things were missing, including Office"
LibreOffice is not installed by default to keep the image size down as not everyone needs a full office installation. Use Synaptic to install.
Not really sure I need it. By "important," I just meant that it was one of the things that should have appeared in the left side of Menu.

This is nice to know, too:
Alternatively, you can right-click on the folder that contains the log and click "Open as Administrator".
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote:Hi kilaueabart,

3) This appears to be a bug with Firefox-ESR. Try installing the non ESR version of Firefox until it's fixed. You can have both Firefox and Firefox-ESR installed at the same time if you want.
My attempt at the non-ESR was stymied by this:
firefoxprob.png
I suppose anyone else would know how to get around that, but I'm stumped.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

A few dependency issues have been popping up. Thanks for letting me know; I'll get this one taken care of.
-Casey
kilaueabart wrote:
caseycullen wrote:Hi kilaueabart,

3) This appears to be a bug with Firefox-ESR. Try installing the non ESR version of Firefox until it's fixed. You can have both Firefox and Firefox-ESR installed at the same time if you want.
My attempt at the non-ESR was stymied by this:
firefoxprob.png
I suppose anyone else would know how to get around that, but I'm stumped.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

The window manager and compositor, Marco, is supposed to switch to software compositor when GPU acceleration is not available. I suspect you're seeing this issue due to a delay in Marco switching to software compositor. Let's try setting Marco to software manually.
Click on Menu, then Control Center. From the Control Center open MATE Tweak. In MATE Tweak, click the Windows icon on the left, which will show the Window Manager menu on the right. Select "Marco (No compositor)" or "Marco (Software compositor)". It may say "Marco (Software compositor)" already, but select it again to prevent Marco from trying GPU compositor again when you restart.
Let me know if this helps.
-Casey.
kilaueabart wrote:I really appreciate your kind and detailed help, Casey.
caseycullen wrote: 1) I haven't experienced this or heard it from anyone else yet. If you can include the picture it might help. What video card are you using?
I thought I had posted the picture, but apparently not, so here:
IMG_20181211_143335297_BURST001(1).jpg
Hard to get good photo with light behind me reflected. This screen comes up, then a text cursor right in the middle. If I use the mouse, it turns to arrow and moves around. Apparently the best thing for me to do is wait a bit and hit Enter. The screen will turn black and a log-in thing will appear.
[/quote]
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote:... Select "Marco (No compositor)" or "Marco (Software compositor)". It may say "Marco (Software compositor)" already, but select it again to prevent Marco from trying GPU compositor again when you restart.
Let me know if this helps.
No effect. When I opened Windows, it was indeed set to "Marco (Compton GPU compositor)." I changed it to "No compositor" and rebooted, but again got the funny screen. The Window manager was still "No compositor." "Software compositor" is not one of the four options. The other Marco is "Adaptive compositor." Then there is "Compiz (Advanced GPU accelerated desktop effects)." Just for the experiment, I have set it to "Adaptive," but not rebooted yet. I trust I will still be able to.

The odd screen is not really a problem. I find now that Enter always dispels it in favor of a login gadget.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

The following dependency issues should be fixed in Fienix:
Darkplaces engine (also Darkplaces engine based games like RetroBlazer, Xonotic, Quake-HD-Redux)
SMPlayer and MPlayer (for cards with hardware acceleration I suggest setting Output Driver to gl (fast - ATI cards), enable direct rendering, 3 threads for decoding, and vaapi hardware decoding)
Firefox
Please test them and let me know the results.
Now working on Gimp and Blender.
-Casey
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote:The following dependency issues should be fixed in Fienix:
Darkplaces engine (also Darkplaces engine based games like RetroBlazer, Xonotic, Quake-HD-Redux)
SMPlayer and MPlayer (for cards with hardware acceleration I suggest setting Output Driver to gl (fast - ATI cards), enable direct rendering, 3 threads for decoding, and vaapi hardware decoding)
Firefox
-Casey
I'm not sure what that means, but I was hoping it meant I would be able to install Firefox. No, I still get the need for a couple of things that are uninstallable. I went ahead and tried Synaptic on SMPlayer and MPlayer with similar results.
Screenshot at 2018-12-20 23-14-37.png
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

kilaueabart wrote:... The other Marco is "Adaptive compositor." Then there is "Compiz (Advanced GPU accelerated desktop effects)." Just for the experiment, I have set it to "Adaptive," but not rebooted yet. I trust I will still be able to.
I thought setting it to "Adaptive" was responsible for it coming up like this today:
compositor.jpg
So I set it back to "No compositor." But I still comes up this new way. And I had to go to MATE 16.04 to download the picture out of my email. (I wish I had thought to try Bluetooth from my phone! Bluetooth is one thing that works in Fienix but not Ubuntu.)

I have the impression that I am the only one having a bunch of problems. Something wrong with my machine?
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

That error means your computer could not connect to my server. I've checked connectivity and it appears to be OK. Could you try again please? Maybe there was a temporary issue...
---Casey
kilaueabart wrote:
caseycullen wrote:The following dependency issues should be fixed in Fienix:
Firefox
-Casey
I'm not sure what that means, but I was hoping it meant I would be able to install Firefox. No, I still get the need for a couple of things that are uninstallable. I went ahead and tried Synaptic on SMPlayer and MPlayer with similar results.
Screenshot at 2018-12-20 23-14-37.png