HDMI -> VGA adapter

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.

HDMI -> VGA adapter

Postby Roland » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:12 pm

I bought for my X5000 a Deltaco HDMI -> VGA + sound adapter (in order to be able to use the Radeon sound with Linux). When I cold boot my machine, the adapter gives picture on screen with a delay, so that booting has advanced to the 'AmigaOS 4.1 Prerelase' logo screen before the picture appears. If I reset my machine, there is no delay.

The adapter needs power via USB cable. I have tested different USB ports of X5000, but there is no difference: the delay is always present.

What might cause this...?
- Roland -
Roland
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 8:23 am

Re: HDMI -> VGA adapter

Postby xenic » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:45 pm

Roland wrote:The adapter needs power via USB cable. I have tested different USB ports of X5000, but there is no difference: the delay is always present.

What might cause this...?

I have a WIFI adapter connected to my network card that is powered by a seperate USB cable connected to an X5000 USB port. The WIFI adapter has a power light and I can tell from that power light that the X5000 USB power is turned on and off several times during the boot process. My other OS4 systems don't turn off the USB power once it's on, so my X5000 is a pain in that regard. The power on/off sometimes causes problems with my WIFI adapter and wireless mouse.

It's possible that the on/off USB power is causing your problem. If your adapter will also accept power from an external power adapter, you could try that. I haven't tried it but a USB card might work to supply constant USB power even if you can't actually use the ports for USB devices (all the cards I found are USB 3).
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic
 
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:06 am

Re: HDMI -> VGA adapter

Postby Roland » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:39 pm

xenic wrote: I have a WIFI adapter connected to my network card that is powered by a seperate USB cable connected to an X5000 USB port. The WIFI adapter has a power light and I can tell from that power light that the X5000 USB power is turned on and off several times during the boot process. My other OS4 systems don't turn off the USB power once it's on, so my X5000 is a pain in that regard. The power on/off sometimes causes problems with my WIFI adapter and wireless mouse.


Ok, that must be the reason... Thanks for this info! But what is the idea behind these on/off cycles during booting? Sounds strange... Could this be fixed somehow, e.g. by modifying U-Boot?

It's possible that the on/off USB power is causing your problem. If your adapter will also accept power from an external power adapter, you could try that. I haven't tried it but a USB card might work to supply constant USB power even if you can't actually use the ports for USB devices (all the cards I found are USB 3).


Unfortunately the adapter has only USB for power input. So, that wasn't as good idea as I thought... The plan B would be to find some other sound card than Envy24HT which I have now. But is there any which would be supported by all the OSs: AmigaOS, Linux and MorphOS?!
- Roland -
Roland
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 8:23 am

Re: HDMI -> VGA adapter

Postby daveyw » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:42 am

Roland wrote:Unfortunately the adapter has only USB for power input. So, that wasn't as good idea as I thought...


Could you get a USB power adapter and plug into mains?
User avatar
daveyw
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Re: HDMI -> VGA adapter

Postby xenic » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:28 pm

daveyw wrote:
Roland wrote:Unfortunately the adapter has only USB for power input. So, that wasn't as good idea as I thought...


Could you get a USB power adapter and plug into mains?

That would probably work but his adapter would be on all the time or he would need to plug in the power adapter before he boots and unplug it when he turns cimputer off. Plugging a device into a USB port automatically powers the device whenever the computer is turned on.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic
 
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:06 am

Re: HDMI -> VGA adapter

Postby Roland » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:53 am

xenic wrote:
daveyw wrote: Could you get a USB power adapter and plug into mains?

That would probably work but his adapter would be on all the time or he would need to plug in the power adapter before he boots and unplug it when he turns cimputer off. Plugging a device into a USB port automatically powers the device whenever the computer is turned on.


You are right... I would not like to have an extra power adapter. Would it be possible to take the needed current directly from the power supply of X5000? Are there any simple adapters available for that?

A USB 3.0 card would be the second best solution, but it should be a PCIe card as my PCI slots are already in use.
- Roland -
Roland
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 8:23 am

Re: HDMI -> VGA adapter

Postby xenic » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:19 pm

Roland wrote:You are right... I would not like to have an extra power adapter. Would it be possible to take the needed current directly from the power supply of X5000? Are there any simple adapters available for that?

A USB 3.0 card would be the second best solution, but it should be a PCIe card as my PCI slots are already in use.


I think using the X5000 power supply might depend on how comfortable you are with modifying cables (and soldering if necessary). I'm tired of dealing with the on/off X5000 USB power for my WIFI adapter so I just ordered these items from Amazon:
JIUWU Desktop Computer Dual Port SATA to Power eSATA eSATAp 9Pin to USB 2.0 Converter Expansion Rear Bracket Card

Motherboard Cable to 2-Port USB 2.0 Rear Panel Bracket Host Adapter

If I decide to use the JIUWU esatap port bracket card, I will need to get an "eSATAp (Power over eSATA) Male Combo to USB 2.0 A Female + eSATA Female Adapter" from Amazon and "https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816226" to connect the port bracket card power connector to the power supply inside my X5000.

If I decide to use the "Motherboard Cable to 2-Port USB 2.0 Rear Panel Bracket Host Adapter" I'll need to cut the end off the cable and solder on a power connector that will connect to a power supply cable.

I won't know exact details until I actually receive the ordered items and have one of them powering my WIFI adapter. I already have an eSATAp adapter mounted in the extra 5-1/4 drive bay on the front of my X5000 that is powered directly from the power supply. I have a sii3512 SATA card connected to the eSATAp adapter and I connect a hard-drive that's in a StarTech case with an eSATAp input port that I use for external backups.

If you decide to make similar modifications to your X5000 system you're on your own. I can't guarantee that anything I suggest will work for you or not harm your X5000. Using a USB card may be the simplest solution for you but I have no idea how the OS or X5000 hardware will react to having an unused USB card plugged in.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic
 
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:06 am

Re: HDMI -> VGA adapter

Postby xenic » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:43 am

@Roland
Just in case you are still interested, I received my " 2-Port USB 2.0 Rear Panel Bracket Host Adapter" which I bought from Amazon for $4 & change with free postage. I cut the motherboard USB connector from the end of the adapter cable and connected the USB power/ground wires to a 4 wire Molex connector. I plugged the power connector to an extra power supply cable and attached the rear panel bracket to the case. Now I now have USB power for external devices like my WIFI adapter that doesn't go on/off when booting or rebooting. My WIFI adapter comes on and connects when I boot and stays on until I turn my system off.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic
 
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:06 am


Return to Platform: AmigaOne X5000

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron