Roadshow TCP/IPv4 to include IPv6?

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
Raziel

Re: Roadshow TCP/IPv4 to include IPv6?

Post by Raziel »

@kolla
Those who just say "NAT, you ignorant fuck", are showing HUGE ignorance and utter lack of understanding of how IPv6 works.
I hear you.
I'm don't know nothing about what is happening "behind" the router (or even inside it, for that matter). I'm just glad it works... :-)
But even if i would know, it should never go down by calling someone off like that, we are too small a community to astrange ourselves even more.

Olsen is really a magician when it comes to networking stuff (what he did with smbfs is phenomenal) but he's just one guy.
If someone *could* pull it off, it would be him, but not in his lifetime, i'm afraid :-/
The other possibility i see (although not really achievable) would be to place some small system (RPi) inbetween the router/internet and Amiga and let it do all the dirty work providing only the websites? (That could also negate the need of AmiSSL stuff being done on the target system - i read somewhere -)
This is what I do, all my Amiga systems have rpi zeros installed, IPv4 with RFC1918 address between Amiga and Pi, and Pi providing web-proxy, "man-in-the-middle"-type SSL-proxy, jump-host between rsh/rlogin/telnet and ssh, ftp-proxy etc. Configuring and maintaining such a raspberry-pi setup is way out of league for most Amiga users though, I'm sure.
It would be for me :-/
Damn, i'd love to be able to use those (there would even be the possibility of a local firewall on the RPi, wouldn't it?), but alas i'm not even able to solder anything (at least not something that should "hold" or "work") ;-)
I don't use classic hardware though (X1000 here), so AmiSSL is (not yet) a problem, but as with anyone else, it will bite me eventually.
Would it be possible to create (or is there already) a PCI/PCIe card that does exactly that and could simply be plugged into the Amiga? :-)
My A3000 has a RasperryPi plugged into one of the ISA slots (via adapter), but just to get 5V :)
Soooo, you sell those? :-D
(I've got a spare PCI and PCIe slot available!)

I've got a (fan connector) cable which has 12V, 7V and 5V plugs (coming from a standard IDE power connector) would those work?
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
kolla

Re: Roadshow TCP/IPv4 to include IPv6?

Post by kolla »

Raziel wrote: Olsen is really a magician when it comes to networking stuff (what he did with smbfs is phenomenal) but he's just one guy.
If someone *could* pull it off, it would be him, but not in his lifetime, i'm afraid :-/
He is truly a very kind, patient and helpful person, and also very talented. I have exchanged quite a few emails with him regarding Term and Roadshow, and he was always positive and fast in responding, and responding with code.

The big problem with IPv6, is that it's not just a matter of providing a new TCP-stack (well, porting KAME... http://www.kame.net), but also all programs would need to be rebuilt to support IPv6-aware functions (for example, replace all "gethostbyname()" with "getaddrinfo()", and deal with IPv6 addresses as well as IPv4 addresses) and for that, sources for those programs are needed.
(there would even be the possibility of a local firewall on the RPi, wouldn't it?)
Of course, nftables, iptables etc are all available.
Soooo, you sell those? :-D
Nah, though I need to do a "proper" version on a real PCB instead of just wires and soldering traces on a piece of thick cardboard that I have now :D
I've got a (fan connector) cable which has 12V, 7V and 5V plugs (coming from a standard IDE power connector) would those work?
Yes, the 5V is all you need. In A1200 and A600 systems, I get the power for the Pi from the floppy power connector.