Menu Bar as a Window Status Bar

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
Srtest

Menu Bar as a Window Status Bar

Post by Srtest »

Sometimes in the AOS4 iteration of drawers and files you lose focus of the old menu bar even if the bar is always on top because lots of details are available and can act as throw away objects and in details I also means lines, rectangles and mixed views so what could help is a representation of desktop in each window/drawer thus the menu bar is an obvious choice. This can also be a complementary feature as a desktop allows access to functions and directories so each of those should also allow a sort of reverse access without minimizing or changing any shape or form of a graphical object.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Menu Bar as a Window Status Bar

Post by nbache »

I have to admit I simply do not understand what you are describing and/or asking for.

Could you please explain in a little more detail, perhaps with an example?

Best regards,

Niels
trixie

Post by trixie »

I am lost as well :(
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
AlexC
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by AlexC »

@nbache/trixie
I understand it as showing the menu from the window title (or right below it) rather than on the screen titlebar.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

AlexC wrote:@nbache/trixie
I understand it as showing the menu from the window title (or right below it) rather than on the screen titlebar.
Oh, like you can in MUI? Yeah, maybe that's what is meant.

Well, ReAction/Intuition cannot do that. Maybe an alternative solution could be to set menus to pop up under the mouse pointer? This can be done in GUI Prefs.

Best regards,

Niels
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

What I'm saying is that tabs like those often talked about concerning file managers and Shell should be candidates for a way in which the bigger picture desktop and old school menu bar can be displayed inside universal windows (apps/utils) and opened drawers. My suggestion is the lower bar of such windows and contained graphical objects be dedicated to such access in order of allowing a user to stay "with" each window and/or app he currently uses. I know the difference between MUI utils and system utils where my focus is on both, that is on what's considered a micro managed display that if chosen alongside many such displays can create an abundance of information not including the simple fact that sometimes you have to clear the screen or rearrange it to get a way into those basic Workbench functions. Why not have all functions at your fingertips regardless of where your pointer is at, as this is the major ability of Workbench and its native GUI's uses (bear in mind I'm not talking about shortcuts).
chris

Post by chris »

@srtest

Can you mock up a screenshot?
xenic

Post by xenic »

@chris
chris wrote:@srtest
Can you mock up a screenshot?
That's a good idea because even after reading both of srtest's posts twice, I still don't understand what he's describing.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Petrol
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Petrol »

Application menu inside application Window instead of screen titlebar?

Regards,
Xavier
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

2 should add to 3rd.
Attachments
after
after
after
after
before