we need inbuild keymap switcher as commoditie

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: we need inbuild keymap switcher as commoditie

Post by ssolie »

trixie wrote:BTW, such things would be so much easier if AmiDock (a commodity itself) was able to pass CX events on to its dockies! This way a docky that wants to intercept input events would not have to setup its own broker. Currently it's just a waste of system resources.
I think it seems that way because a docky != broker. If you want something to respond to keystrokes and hang in the background then a broker makes the most sense. I don't understand why you are still messing around with a docky.. for some silly flag? We can find a better solution once the commodity is finished.
ExecSG Team Lead
trixie

Post by trixie »

@ssolie
I don't understand why you are still messing around with a docky..
No particular reason :) As I can't code at the moment, I'm just gathering information and points of view, that's all.
for some silly flag? We can find a better solution once the commodity is finished.
Fair enough. It'll be a commodity then, and let's see where it takes us.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

trixie wrote: Fair enough. It'll be a commodity then, and let's see where it takes us.
If you're not making a docky you could optionally use Ringhio to notify the user that the keymap has been switched.
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@All

1). Docky can be grouped in the dock, so users can make tray-kind docks or whatever which is very usefull. They may group it as they wish, and put where they wish. And so they can move all the dockies at one time as one group, and no need to fancy regroup every single thing when it different commodities.
2). With docky you have no need to deal where to place visual things, its already in the dock. While when it will be commoditie with visual things, you will have needs to place it manually somewhere, somehow group and can be able to move it together with all that dock where you have another tray-kind dockies.
3). Flags is not silly. Its prove to be good as visual output, not only on one os, but on all the popular oses (i.e. win32, unixes, morphos and whatever else i see which have keymaps, all the time have visual note like this, so its quite understandable). How else you will note user which language currently set, if not by flags or by some strippend language-name words, like ENG|RUS|GR| and co ? Does not matter in general what need to be render to the docky, "silly flags", or words. Ideally there should be preference where use can choice flags or words. But it should be noted on screen all the time which language is set currently.
4). Making it commoditie only, its just like some oldschool way as we do on os3, and then have bunch of them, which not grouped normally visually, which just all different from each others and have no one single rule of how visuals and mouse handling done. While with dockyies its all understandable and kind of the same. Users can change the size of the visual things by just using scale stuff in the amidock prefs and co.

And something else which i don't remember from top of head.
trixie

Post by trixie »

@ salass00
you could optionally use Ringhio to notify the user that the keymap has been switched.
But then I would have to register the program as an application as well, wouldn't I? To be able to use the Notify() function.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

trixie wrote: But then I would have to register the program as an application as well, wouldn't I? To be able to use the Notify() function.
Why would that be a problem?
trixie

Post by trixie »

@salass00

Not a problem per se, it's just IMHO unnecessary to register a program with two different system frameworks only to be able to use a single feature. As for Nofify(), it should have really been made part of Intuition Library, not Application Library. As the Ringhio message box is in fact a GUI element (much like a requester), it belongs in a library that handles GUIs, and that is Intuition. It is plain stupid that programs that are not really applications - like commodity brokers or plugins - should need to either register with Application Library, or create an ARexx interface only to display a Ringhio message.
The Rear Window blog

Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

I have started writing up a new docky as part of perception and just have the library committed for now...

If you want to expand that with a set of routines needed in the perception library?

i am occasionally experimenting with how to buffer or count keyboard input so that I can post-edit any string for a UTF8 encoding as an option

Does any of this help?
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@all
I annoy Javier to make a fancy docky (as he have already experience with), and we pretty close now. If only someone will help us with that: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2018. In general now only to render fancy flags on place of my .icon image, do actual switching when we choice language from menu and some reorganize between LBM/RMB handlers so menu will spawns via LBM without those "docky/remove/etc". Later, if all will ok, commodity broker can be added to handle key-combos => everyone happy. But for beginning even like this it will be more than enough (and fancy fancy flags :) !)
Attachments
screen (1).jpg
screen (1).jpg (13.98 KiB) Viewed 9689 times
screen2.jpg
screen2.jpg (43.63 KiB) Viewed 9689 times
trixie

Post by trixie »

@kas1e
I annoy Javier to make a fancy docky (as he have already experience with), and we pretty close now.)
Good. We all know that when it comes to coaxing people into doing something, there's no one better than you :-)
The Rear Window blog