Another update for ENVY24HT soon?

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
HKvalhe

Another update for ENVY24HT soon?

Post by HKvalhe »

Hi, will there soon be another great update of the ENVY24HT driver?

I like many others would like to see the following for another updated ENVY24HT, hopefully anytime soon:

*FULL Mixer support, even for cards like ESI@Juli XTe
*Full multi track recording and playback, also in glorious 24 bit mode, for cards like ESI@Juli XTe to support it
*Full digital in and output support (i believe you call it SPDIF or something)

Perhaps also an update of the ENVY24HT CAMD driver, as the main CAMD library has already been updated.

Because the X1000's HD audio has been updated and fully completed, it would be nice to see the ENVY24HT be fully updated with these features, too.

Beyond that, i don't know. I wait and pray for the best. ;)
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
fingus

Re: Another update for ENVY24HT soon?

Post by fingus »

I second that
kicko

Post by kicko »

Spdif already works, camd probably too, don't remember how well as I use usb midi. Mixer however would be nice as there is much that can be changed, reroute signals etc. Maybe mixer and a rerouting Plugins. For multitrack recording would be cool and saving of time for me but that need new ahi and that won't happen anytime soon. Also music programs would need an update after ahi. Ahi would need a couple of changes and bugfixes
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

kicko wrote:Spdif already works, camd probably too, don't remember how well as I use usb midi. Mixer however would be nice as there is much that can be changed, reroute signals etc. Maybe mixer and a rerouting Plugins. For multitrack recording would be cool and saving of time for me but that need new ahi and that won't happen anytime soon. Also music programs would need an update after ahi. Ahi would need a couple of changes and bugfixes
Well, even Ssolie admitted on an interview that the situation with improving and changing AHI could actually change, since there seems to be a great demand for taking AHI to the next level.

I think it's possible, but Ssolie is the one who should really answer these things, but what is clear for now is that the ENVY24HT also MUST be greatly updated.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

HKvalhe wrote:*FULL Mixer support, even for cards like ESI@Juli XTe
Mixer is a 3rd party contribution and you can find it on OS4Depot along with source code I do believe. Feel free to email the authors and see if they are interested in improving things.
*Full multi track recording and playback, also in glorious 24 bit mode, for cards like ESI@Juli XTe to support it
The current support is already very good IMO. I have both a Julia and a Julia XTe and I don't have any complaints.
*Full digital in and output support (i believe you call it SPDIF or something)
S/PDIF support has always been there.
Perhaps also an update of the ENVY24HT CAMD driver, as the main CAMD library has already been updated.
Just because camd.library is updated doesn't automatically mean all the drivers need updating. Nothing has changed to warrant such an effort.

There are no plans to add more features (beyond more hardware support) to the existing Envy24HT driver that I'm aware of.
ExecSG Team Lead
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

There is nothing wrong with the ENVY24HT support as it stands. It's already great, but i believe it can get better, and everybody around here KNOW that 16 bit is long obsolete. It's long bypassed by today's standards. Today it's 24 bit and 32 bit. We all know that, and that's why i feel that even the ENVY24HT driver can use that. I'm happy to see that it supports most features, except of 24 bit audio quality, Mixer support and multi track recording and playback. That the things that are missing or not fully extended.

But i'll try contacting the author of the Mixer and the ENVY24HT driver. Dave, who originally did the ENVY24HT driver, has long left the Amiga scene. Trevor's friend, Lyle Hazelwood, could probably improve on the driver.

I don't want to limit myself to just be using 16 bit. That's not why we have audio cards. We have audio cards to be able to use HIGHER qualties than just 16 bit. I think that speaks for itself.

That's why this topic is so important, and that's why it's pretty clear for most of us here that AHI will NEED to be updated and get a couple of bugs and limitations erased, even if it means they are not noticeable, but there are there to be erased.

It would be a good advice to listen more to users' demand, because users mostly know what they want and what they expect to see in AmigaOS. Working together to improve on the current limitations of AmigaOS in every possible way is after my own perspective the best possible way. There will always be sometimes when someone knows something the other one doesn't. Sharing experiences and knowledges to help each other the best way can't be done better. I'm sure everybody agree on that. A little out of topic perhaps, but the main point is there.

If money is a concern here to archive these goals, then i am happy to tell that most of us will gladly pay a good donation to developers to further develop these things.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway