Page 5 of 6

Re: Linux X1000 newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:06 pm
by alfkil
@xeno79

It boots well, but it doesn't recognize usb devices (mouse + keyboard) for login. Is there anything else, I need to do?

Re: Linux X1000 newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:21 am
by xeno74
alfkil wrote:@xeno79

It boots well, but it doesn't recognize usb devices (mouse + keyboard) for login. Is there anything else, I need to do?


How are the USB devices connected? Directly, via Bluetooth, via USB hub or via KVM switch? Could you please connect them to other ports? Please also test another mouse + keyboard.

— Christian

Re: Linux X1000 newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:29 am
by alfkil
@xeno74

It's an apple corded keyboard with no other peripherals connected to it and some bulk cordless mouse. I have tried them with different ports, but it seems to be always the same.

I have had issues with the keyboard before, allegedly because of power loss when other items are connected to it. But never this consistently. It is a new issue with kernel 5.0.

I don't have another spare keyboard or mouse at present.

Re: Linux X1000 newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:40 am
by xeno74
alfkil wrote:@xeno74

It's an apple corded keyboard with no other peripherals connected to it and some bulk cordless mouse. I have tried them with different ports, but it seems to be always the same.

I have had issues with the keyboard before, allegedly because of power loss when other items are connected to it. But never this consistently. It is a new issue with kernel 5.0.

I don't have another spare keyboard or mouse at present.


I don’t have any issues with USB devices and I use a lot of them simultaneously. (mouse, keyboard, Bluetooth stick, WLAN stick)

Could you please test the alpha4 of kernel 5.1?

linux-image-5.1-alpha4-X1000_X5000.tar.gz

Thanks

Re: Linux X1000 newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:36 pm
by alfkil
@xeno74

Could it be an issue with the /lib/modules files? I have problems copying the 5.0 specific files to my root partition because I can't boot from usb.

Re: Linux X1000 newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:30 pm
by xeno74
alfkil wrote:@xeno74

Could it be an issue with the /lib/modules files? I have problems copying the 5.0 specific files to my root partition because I can't boot from usb.


I think not but except you use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Do they work with the kernel 4.19.1?

Re: Linux X1000 newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:54 pm
by alfkil
@xeno74

I managed to boot the usb from kernel 4.19, copied the kernel_modules for 5.0, and now the keyboard and mouse work right out of the box.

5.0 seems to boot slightly more consistently than 4.19.

5.0 has problems booting from usb. It doesn't recognize root=/dev/sdb2.

Re: Linux X1000 newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:29 pm
by xeno74
alfkil wrote:@xeno74

I managed to boot the usb from kernel 4.19, copied the kernel_modules for 5.0, and now the keyboard and mouse work right out of the box.

5.0 seems to boot slightly more consistently than 4.19.

5.0 has problems booting from usb. It doesn't recognize root=/dev/sdb2.


OK, good to know. Please add rootdelay=5 to the boot arguments and try it again.

Code: Select all
setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sdb2 rootdelay=5"

Re: Linux X1000 newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:28 pm
by alfkil
@xeno74

rootdelay=5 doesn't solve the issue.

Re: Linux X1000 newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:29 am
by xeno74
alfkil wrote:@xeno74

rootdelay=5 doesn't solve the issue.


Thanks for testing! :-) What do you think about buying a fast SanDisk Ultra USB stick? Maybe your USB sticks are to slow.