Kernel not ELF compatible

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Kernel not ELF compatible

Post by kilaueabart »

I thought maybe I had gotten help with this same problem long ago, but searching only brings up a Broken Symmetry problem I sought help for as recently as June!

My problem this time is that I downloaded and dearchived the latest kernels vmlinux-4.1.31 and vmlinux-4.8.rc4 a couple days ago, and drag-and-dropped them from Downloads to CF CARD, a procedure I have been employing regularly when new kernels are to be tested.

CFE menu command 6 is supposed to bring up Ubuntu MATE 16.04, but the next time I tried it nothing happened. The next time I tried I got an error message about cf0:vmlinux-4.1 not being ELF compatible. So I tried with cf0:vmlinux-4.8, and found out that it isn't ELF compatible either!

Fortunately I also have kernels 4.6 and 4.7 on my CF CARD. MATE comes up just fine with 4.7. So I moved the supposedly bad new kernels to trash and dragged the originals over from Downloads again. No, still not ELF-compatible.

I guess I'll try de-archiving them again, but I am pessimistic, and worried that it might be a CF CARD problem of some sort. So I'm hoping to find some help about what I should do when I log on here tomorrow, please. If I am going to have to reformat cf0: how can I be sure of saving vmlinux-4.6 and -4.7 without making them ELF-incompatible as well?

As I feared, CFE still says, "Could not load cf0:vmlinux-4.1: not an ELF-format executable." But clicking on its icon and going to "Information" from Ubuntu says it is executable.
mechanic

Re: Kernel not ELF compatible

Post by mechanic »

It's the old CFcard trick!

It seems that the file allocation table FAT gets screwed up when deleting files. Someday I might look at it with a hex editor.
My suggestion is to make a small 2-4GB ext2 partition on either your sda drive or get a PATA drive.

I can only say at this time don't delete files off the CF and if you wish to do that make sure you have the kernels you want on there somewhere in your home folder, then re-format the CF and copy the kernels back to it. Right now I have about 10 kernels on the CF so its getting time to clean it up. Keep in mind that CFE can read ext2 even on the CFcard.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

mechanic wrote:It's the old CFcard trick!

It seems that the file allocation table FAT gets screwed up when deleting files. Someday I might look at it with a hex editor.
My suggestion is to make a small 2-4GB ext2 partition on either your sda drive or get a PATA drive.
Just remember that any HDD you want to load kernels from must have a MBR partition table, they will fail to start if it's RDB partitioned.
I can only say at this time don't delete files off the CF and if you wish to do that make sure you have the kernels you want on there somewhere in your home folder, then re-format the CF and copy the kernels back to it. Right now I have about 10 kernels on the CF so its getting time to clean it up. Keep in mind that CFE can read ext2 even on the CFcard.
I think it can read ext3 too. Also you can delete things from the CF but you must eject/umount the CF once you've done so. You'll have less problems with FAT if you modify it under Linux I find.

Regards
Darren
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

daz wrote: Just remember that any HDD you want to load kernels from must have a MBR partition table, they will fail to start if it's RDB partitioned.
Regards
Darren
I never tried that. Thanks for the info (before I made myself crazy(er).
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Google got me the manual that came on the original Ubuntu 12.04 LTS install disk and was a bit startled to see that CF CARD has to be formatted either in FAT16 (recommended) or EXT2. That is likely a big part of my problem, because when I was having that Broken Symmetry problem in June, this was one of the replies:
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... t16#p38292

If using FAT16 was dumb, I would certainly use FAT32 (that is the current format), and I did, and never had a problem with it until now.

It is about to get reformatted, assuming GParted will cooperate, as FAT16, and then I will cp the kernels, etc., in via Terminal.