How fix Firefox?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

How fix Firefox?

Post by kilaueabart »

Having solved most problems with my full-fledged MATE 16.04 on its own 1TB drive (finally allowed to log in, access files from USB stick and other devices/partitions, type Korean and Japanese, etc.) I decided it was time to put the sides back on my X1000 box. When I turned the machine back on, I couldn't boot that version of MATE!

My guess: when I had put the right-hand side back on, maybe I disturbed the wire connections. So I disconnected and reconnected them. Booted OK next time, but before I put the side back on again, I replaced the red wire to that hard drive on the earlier advice of someone on this group. (John, I think).

OK, now it boots fine again, but when I try to launch Firefox, I briefly get a tiny window labelled "Firefox safe mode," then nothing.

I found another browser, Midori, which came right up and allowed me to access this page. I was going to post this from there, but decided to first make sure Firefox still worked from other Ubuntu installs, so now I'm posting from 12.04. On the way I tried the /dev/sda9 version of MATE, and it wouldn't boot. "Low graphics mode." It usually comes up fine.

Anyway, I'm probably the only one who has no idea how to fix Firefox in /dev/sdc2. Please give me a hint.

Poking around, I think this is a statement of the problem: "(firefox:4170): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-main.css:69:33: Failed to import: Error opening file: No such file or directory". I found someone else with a similar problem, except his was "(vino-server:15016): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-main.css:69:33: Failed to import: Erreur à l'ouverture du fichier : Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type," with vino-server rather than firefox. My French has gotten so rusty I can't tell whether or how he fixed the problem.
kilaueabart

Re: How fix Firefox?

Post by kilaueabart »

OK, "gtk" problem or not, it seems now to be the same one jdupuis John and everyone else is having. Until today attempts to launch FF brought up a Safe Mode window, not Update, border for a few seconds, so I thought it was a different problem. Today I got an empty Update window border that I had to close the first time (after that it went away by itself each time).

Midori gives me a problem similary to Odyssey. "This version of ... no longer supported" when I go to my email site. Sooner or later they'll fix Firefox, won't they?
jdupuis

Post by jdupuis »

kilaueabart wrote:OK, "gtk" problem or not, it seems now to be the same one jdupuis John and everyone else is having. Until today attempts to launch FF brought up a Safe Mode window, not Update, border for a few seconds, so I thought it was a different problem. Today I got an empty Update window border that I had to close the first time (after that it went away by itself each time).

Midori gives me a problem similary to Odyssey. "This version of ... no longer supported" when I go to my email site. Sooner or later they'll fix Firefox, won't they?
Bart,

You can use Qupzilla in the meantime. Of course it's a matter of preference. Qupzilla is a great browser and very intuitive. In the interim of waiting for a Firefox update, it works great! Never know, I might stick with it, you might, also.

Cheers!!

John
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I'll have to play with Qupzilla more and see if I like it better than Mozilla. My email site thinks Mozilla is an old version of Safari. Anyway, whatever works. MATE has been treating me pretty good, otherwise.
Simon

Post by Simon »

You might be able to recover your old version of Firefox if it still exists in your apt-cache.

Open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-cache policy firefox
My listing looks like this:

firefox:
  Installed: 46.0.1+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.2
  Candidate: 46.0.1+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.2
  Version table:
 *** 46.0.1+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 500
        500 http://gb.ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports xenial-updates/main powerpc Packages
        500 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports xenial-security/main powerpc Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     45.0.2+build1-0ubuntu1 500
        500 http://gb.ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports xenial/main powerpc Packages
So, I would enter the following into the terminal to rollback to version 45:

sudo apt-get install firefox=45.0.2+build1-0ubuntu1
I hope this helps.
AmigaOne XE-G4 @933Mhz / 1 GB Ram / Radeon 9000 128 MB / AmigaOS 4.1
AmigaOne X1000 First Contact / 2 GB Ram / Radeon 4650 1 GB / M-Audio Revo 5.1 / AmigaOS 4.1
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Yes! Thank you, Simon!

Now I only have to be careful it doesn't get "upgraded" again.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Well, I was a bit disappointed to discover that I had to do it again the next day! How would one save the downgraded version?
Simon

Post by Simon »

You could try entering the following into the terminal:

echo "firefox hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections
Good luck.
AmigaOne X1000 First Contact / 2 GB Ram / Radeon 4650 1 GB / M-Audio Revo 5.1 / AmigaOS 4.1
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Simon wrote:You could try entering the following into the terminal:

Thanks again. I'll do that, although it probably won't help much right away. I can get Terminal, but I don't know how to get a live graphic screen or run Firefox from Terminal. I'm back to my no-password-requester situation. Something to do with lightdm?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Simon wrote:You could try entering the following into the terminal:

Good luck.
I should probably mention that to remove the hold on Firefox you can try entering the following into the terminal:

sudo apt-mark unhold firefox