(X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.10 Yakkety Yak

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
mechanic

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Post by mechanic »

kilaueabart wrote:I half remember that I should use either SI or NI, perhaps because of my Radeon HD 5000 series graphics card, but googling and using the Search on this page didn't bring up any useful info. I went with SI.
Take a look at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon#Firmware.

I believe you are using a Evergreen series card.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

mechanic wrote:Take a look at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon#Firmware.

Yes, my Radeon HD5450 is listed at Evergreen CEDAR, but not under either Northern Islands or Southern Islands. Does that mean neither of those images would work for me?
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote:You have to copy the image to the whole USB flash drive (/dev/sde).
Aha! I end up with the content looking just like it did before I cleared the drive for this experiment. It had my original 16.04 on it, plus the mysterious "AMIGAONE" and "Sam4xx."

Maybe I should have used the old one. It always booted just fine, and I could probably have upgraded it. Too late now. The new one fails with

Code: Select all

Kernel panic -- not syncing: No working init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. ..."
Did I use the wrong image? Are they both wrong for an HD 5450? I'm certainly not planning to pass any option to kernel.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

kilaueabart wrote:
mechanic wrote:Take a look at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon#Firmware.

Yes, my Radeon HD5450 is listed at Evergreen CEDAR, but not under either Northern Islands or Southern Islands. Does that mean neither of those images would work for me?
I really don't know because I don't mess around with Ubuntu or Suse. I'm sure xeno or Julian will be able to guide you, but it seems those images would not work. I have a HD6850 Northern Islands card.
Last edited by mechanic on Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:Aha! I end up with the content looking just like it did before I cleared the drive for this experiment. It had my original 16.04 on it, plus the mysterious "AMIGAONE" and "Sam4xx."

Maybe I should have used the old one. It always booted just fine, and I could probably have upgraded it. Too late now. The new one fails with

Kernel panic -- not syncing: No working init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. ..."
Did I use the wrong image? Are they both wrong for an HD 5450? I'm certainly not planning to pass any option to kernel.
Could you please post your CFE commands that you have written?
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
zappa2009

Post by zappa2009 »

kilaueabart wrote:
xeno74 wrote:You have to copy the image to the whole USB flash drive (/dev/sde).
The new one fails with

Hi kilaueabart

When you boot from USB use the initrd.4.7-1 and LABEL (Name of the Ubuntu on USB-Disk)

I do it this way:
All is on my usb-disk named Lubuntu1604

1.) ramdisk -z -addr=0x2400000 -fatfs usbdisk0:initrd4.7-1.gz
2.) setenv bootargs "root=LABEL=Lubuntu1604"
3.) boot -elf- noints -fatfs usbdisk0:vmlinux4.7-1

Note copy the Initrd4.7-1.gz and vmlinux-4.7-1 to a X1000-CF-card you can boot off a USB3-Stick (if you had an PCIe-USB3 Card with NEC-Chip)
Much faaster booting as from USB2 ;)
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
THW

Post by THW »

Here on my X1000, following commands works too with an usb3.0 64mb flash drive:

1.) setenev bootargs "root=/dev/sdc2 quiet ro splash rootdelay=5"
2.) boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux48

On the usb flash-drive is a copy of ubuntu 16.4. and on the cf-card is the last kernel4.8

The X1000 boots now from my USB3.0 port in seconds.

(X1000 - Power-Color Radeon R9 280X)
Last edited by THW on Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote:
kilaueabart wrote:... The new [16.04 image] fails with

Could you please post your CFE commands that you have written?
I just type in the ones from your instructions:

setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sde2 quiet ro splash rootdelay=5"

boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-4.8
Actually, I have done this so many times I don't even have to look at your instructions anymore.

I'm still wondering if the problem is that I don't have a Southern Islands or Northern Islands graphics card. I'm still using the Radeon HD 5450 that came with my X1000. Well, I see that zappa2009 uses that card successfully...

[Edit]Since posting this I gave it another try. When I got the same results as I get when I forget to plug the USB drive in ("... unknown block(8,65)"), I took another look at the drive from GParted in my working MATE. It turns out that the address of the new 16.04 has been changed from /dev/sde2 to /dev/sdf2! There is no more /dev/sde at all, so far as GParted is concerned!
But trying to boot it from its new address brings up the same "No working init found."
THW

Post by THW »

@kilaueabart:

No, the address has not changed on the drive, it depends on which drive configuration you have in your computer.
Linux mounts the drives permanent (fstab) or temporary.

Please look in the fstab-file on the root partition in /etc/fstab with an editor e.g. pluma.
Here you can see what drive name would be given during the installation and the UUID.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

THW wrote:@kilaueabart:

No, the address has not changed on the drive, it depends on which drive configuration you have in your computer.
Linux mounts the drives permanent (fstab) or temporary.
I didn't think any address had been changed on the flash drive itself, just how Ubuntu is addressing it.
I copied a 16.04 image to /dev/sde. GParted saw 16.04 immediately thereafter on /dev/sde2. Yesterday GParted saw no /dev/sde whatsoever, but it saw that 16.04 on /dev/sdf2. Today it is calling it /dev/sde2 again. Something is changing back and forth. Not the address?
Please look in the fstab-file on the root partition in /etc/fstab with an editor e.g. pluma.
Here you can see what drive name would be given during the installation and the UUID.
I can only find the address and UUID of the version of Ubuntu I am currently running. I'm not sure how to find that info for an unmounted disk or partition, if that is what I need. More instructions, please.