SSD weirdy (was MATE 16.04 weirdy)

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

SSD problem (was Re: Ubuntu MATE 16.04 weirdy)

Post by kilaueabart »

Imagine that! Amiga is better with info than GParted.

I experimented with installing the drive with Media Toolbox, figuring I could undo that with GParted or whatever. Thereafter it was ready and willing to do a quick format in AOS4, but when I tried a full format, "Couldn't format cylinder 25923." Tried again. "Couldn't format cylinder 343." Next time, "Couldn't format cylinder 853."

Why the inconsistency, I wonder. If it repeated the same number, then I would be sure it's a bad disk, and try to remember where I bought it and see if there is a warranty, but as it is, I'm just not sure.

After the initial quick format, btw, I copied a program onto the disk and ran it just fine.

Oh, and it finally occurs to me that my problem is not Ubuntu MATE at all, but an SSD problem. Can I change the subject line? Will see. I bet it works only for this one post, not the forum.
jdupuis

Re: SSD problem (was Re: Ubuntu MATE 16.04 weirdy)

Post by jdupuis »

kilaueabart wrote:Imagine that! Amiga is better with info than GParted.

I experimented with installing the drive with Media Toolbox, figuring I could undo that with GParted or whatever. Thereafter it was ready and willing to do a quick format in AOS4, but when I tried a full format, "Couldn't format cylinder 25923." Tried again. "Couldn't format cylinder 343." Next time, "Couldn't format cylinder 853."

Why the inconsistency, I wonder. If it repeated the same number, then I would be sure it's a bad disk, and try to remember where I bought it and see if there is a warranty, but as it is, I'm just not sure.

After the initial quick format, btw, I copied a program onto the disk and ran it just fine.

Oh, and it finally occurs to me that my problem is not Ubuntu MATE at all, but an SSD problem. Can I change the subject line? Will see. I bet it works only for this one post, not the forum.
Hi Bart!

Remember that even though the file systems still use cylinders, it is just a representation in solid state. A quick format works on digital media. However, in this case, as blocks are being used you may find over time of use during a save of a file or program that when one of those blocks are reached, it may be hit or miss - file corruption. In the meantime, you may want to check warranty coverage on your SSD.
Somehow if you could have a full erase and a full FAT32 format with MS-DOS Partition Table done on it, I still believe those "misread" blocks can be recovered. The inconsistency, theoretically, comes from the Partition Table. The Table is presuming there should be cyl. there given the block and cylinder size of the device but the Partition Table is corrupt. A full erase, normally, done with the drive utilities or tools is what will erase and rewrite a corrupt Partition Table during the process. If it can be replaced by warranty, that would be good.

Cheers!!

John
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
kilaueabart

Re: SSD weirdy (was MATE 16.04 weirdy)

Post by kilaueabart »

Well, John, it looks like I deserve a kick in the head. All along I had this nagging idea that maybe it was just a bad connection. I should unplug and plug the cables. But I have so little room to work, and it's dark, so I kept postponing until today.

The first thing I did next was see whether I still got those "bad cylinder" errors, trying to format it from AOS4. Ten minutes or so of full formatting brought me up to 0% finished, so I just stopped it. At least, no error messages. Then I tried the original Ubuntu LTS 12.04 install DVD on the drive, and here I am, sending a post from "Ubuntu 12.04 on SSD." So far nothing worse than a couple notices that some movie program had "quit unexpectedly."

I used 60GB for 12.04. Looking forward to getting a MATE working properly on the remaining 60GB.

I appreciate your wasted kindness. It also occurs to me that had I followed your suggestion to get new cables, this would have long since been solved.

Bart
jdupuis

Re: SSD weirdy (was MATE 16.04 weirdy)

Post by jdupuis »

kilaueabart wrote:Well, John, it looks like I deserve a kick in the head. All along I had this nagging idea that maybe it was just a bad connection. I should unplug and plug the cables. But I have so little room to work, and it's dark, so I kept postponing until today.

The first thing I did next was see whether I still got those "bad cylinder" errors, trying to format it from AOS4. Ten minutes or so of full formatting brought me up to 0% finished, so I just stopped it. At least, no error messages. Then I tried the original Ubuntu LTS 12.04 install DVD on the drive, and here I am, sending a post from "Ubuntu 12.04 on SSD." So far nothing worse than a couple notices that some movie program had "quit unexpectedly."

I used 60GB for 12.04. Looking forward to getting a MATE working properly on the remaining 60GB.

I appreciate your wasted kindness. It also occurs to me that had I followed your suggestion to get new cables, this would have long since been solved.

Bart
Hi Bart,

I just told Christian I'd be gone this week. Glad I spotted your post before shutting down. Kindness is not wasted. Need to spread more of it, right? Yeah a full format on 120 GB in AOS will do that (sometimes). Too slow. If you run into issues with your install of 12.04 just use GParted to re-format (full). Those D@mn SATA Connectors!! When you get a chance, grab up a set of those SATA cables that have the locking clip. One end, the connector is 90 degrees for a nice fit on the HD side and a Straight connector on the M.B. Header side. They are very nice. 60 CM length makes a tension-free comfortable fit in the X1000. No worries, I had the same "unexplained" glitches. These guys in this forum preach SATA Cable connections because they SUCK! :D

Cheers!!

John
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE